The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,001 of 12,548
So, what, people should stick to low end headphones with low power requirements until they can afford to drop $1000 on a setup that will allow them to hear any headphones to their fullest potential? I just don't see the sense in that. I haven't heard of any damage being caused by underpowering/underamping a pair of headphones. Maybe I just haven't been on Head-Fi long enough to see those incidents.

Why do you keep going back to thousand dollar amplifiers, my Darkvoice 336i can be had for around $200... I use this with 600Ohm DT880s and 25Ohm D7000s with absolutely no problems. Your O2 and Fiios are like Beats, you pay a lot for not a lot.
I enjoy my headphone setup very much. It sounds great to me. Also, a lot of people praise the amp, so it can't be that bad.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,002 of 12,548
I like the e17 as much as the next guy, but I figure a budget desktop rig for a few extra bucks would be preferable for better performance. The DT 880 isn't exactly portable itself. 

Schiit Modi/Magni, Audinst HUD-MX1, and Audio-GD NFB-15 all come to mind for powerful budget rigs. I've owned the last two and they are both noticeably better than the E17. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,003 of 12,548
Quote:
Schiit Modi/Magni, Audinst HUD-MX1, and Audio-GD NFB-15 all come to mind for powerful budget rigs. I've owned the last two and they are both noticeably better than the E17. 

I definitely agree with this. But for someone who already owns an E17, I'm trying to make the case that if they were to buy the DT880s, they would not sound like crap.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,004 of 12,548
Quote:
I'm talking about the entire setup in general. DAC, amp, and headphones themselves. It's like you're saying unless you can afford to fully amp a pair of headphones, don't get them at all. I think that's just ridiculous.

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone here, because I'm not. I just don't like the general tone of some people in here right now. Why should somebody be told not to purchase an excellent pair of headphones that they can use with a modest amp, just because they won't sound their best? Like I said, I haven't heard any stories of clipping damaging a headphone, and maybe I just haven't heard any yet. I'm sure it's possible. But if somebody can't afford to drop $280 on a pair of DT880s, $150 on an ODAC and $250 for an Asgard 2, should they not get the DT880s at all? I just don't know why there's so much animosity towards underpowering headphones. It's like definitively telling people to go big or go home.

Sometimes I'll read my own posts back and it does sound preachy or even boisterous, I have a tendency to be blunt but mean nothing by it. We may all have our differences but I'd quite happily share a beer with any of you good head-fi folks.

I wouldn't say it's useless to consider a headphone if you can't afford the very best amp and DAC for it, I do think acquiring this over time is half the enjoyment and learning process. All I really keep hitting on is that rather than buying a demanding phone and a portable amp, buy an easier to power phone for your portable. Or a decent desktop amp with a power hungry phone and use something else entirely for on the go. Generally when I'm on the go I'm driving so I don't care much for a mobile setup, I just use a pair of IEMs direct from my phone/Zune.

Also while an O2 with a DT880 will sound okay you get those people that have only heard this setup and then argue the point there is no need for an OTL tube amp for instance, without actually comparing it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,005 of 12,548
Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking about the entire setup in general. DAC, amp, and headphones themselves. It's like you're saying unless you can afford to fully amp a pair of headphones, don't get them at all. I think that's just ridiculous.

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone here, because I'm not. I just don't like the general tone of some people in here right now. Why should somebody be told not to purchase an excellent pair of headphones that they can use with a modest amp, just because they won't sound their best? Like I said, I haven't heard any stories of clipping damaging a headphone, and maybe I just haven't heard any yet. I'm sure it's possible. But if somebody can't afford to drop $280 on a pair of DT880s, $150 on an ODAC and $250 for an Asgard 2, should they not get the DT880s at all? I just don't know why there's so much animosity towards underpowering headphones. It's like definitively telling people to go big or go home.

Sometimes I'll read my own posts back and it does sound preachy or even boisterous, I have a tendency to be blunt but mean nothing by it. We may all have our differences but I'd quite happily share a beer with any of you good head-fi folks.

I wouldn't say it's useless to consider a headphone if you can't afford the very best amp and DAC for it, I do think acquiring this over time is half the enjoyment and learning process. All I really keep hitting on is that rather than buying a demanding phone and a portable amp, buy an easier to power phone for your portable. Or a decent desktop amp with a power hungry phone and use something else entirely for on the go. Generally when I'm on the go I'm driving so I don't care much for a mobile setup, I just use a pair of IEMs direct from my phone/Zune.

Also while an O2 with a DT880 will sound okay you get those people that have only heard this setup and then argue the point there is no need for an OTL tube amp for instance, without actually comparing it.

Thing is, I have compared the 2. The O2 was awful in comparison but I am planning on getting a new DAC this year then a new amp next year
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3,006 of 12,548
Quote:

Why do you keep going back to thousand dollar amplifiers, my Darkvoice 336i can be had for around $200... I use this with 600Ohm DT880s and 25Ohm D7000s with absolutely no problems. Your O2 and Fiios are like Beats, you pay a lot for not a lot.

Hey I was looking for an upgrade from my O2 amp for around the same price range or a little more. I don't know much about Tube amps, where can I find a new Darkvoice 336i amp for around $200? All is see are brand new ones on ebay for around $300. Will it be able to drive full sized orthodynamic headphones as well?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,008 of 12,548
By the numbers, for the DT880, 600 Ohm version, rated maximum power = 100 mW:

1 mW = 95 dB SPL, this is a typical loud listening level

1 mW = 775 mV, 1.29 mA

10 mW = 105 dB SPL, adds 10 dB headroom when average listening level is 95 dB

10 mW = 2.45 mV, 4 mA

100 mW = 115 dB SPL

100 mW = 7.75 V, 12.9 mA

most desktop amps should be able to supply 7.75 Volts into a 600 Ohm load.
An O2 will almost output this much voltage.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,009 of 12,548
Quote:
Hey I was looking for an upgrade from my O2 amp for around the same price range or a little more. I don't know much about Tube amps, where can I find a new Darkvoice 336i amp for around $200? All is see are brand new ones on ebay for around $300. Will it be able to drive full sized orthodynamic headphones as well?

I bought the Darkvoice used here, in fact I traded a pair of HFI-780s for it.

I don't have much experience pairing orthos with it, however a T50RP was no problem. To give you an idea I'm at about 30% power with my 880s, 20% with the D7000s.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #3,010 of 12,548
Quote:

I bought the Darkvoice used here, in fact I traded a pair of HFI-780s for it.

I don't have much experience pairing orthos with it, however a T50RP was no problem. To give you an idea I'm at about 30% power with my 880s, 20% with the D7000s.

I think you mean 30% volume, 20% volume.

Don't equate volume with power.
Turning volume control up and down increases and decreases output voltage.
In addition:
Obviously the amp may clip at 70% (for example) with some program material and at 50% (for example) with other program material.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,011 of 12,548
Apr 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,012 of 12,548
I just got my DT880 - 600 OHM this morning. Very impressed so far. It sounds like how I expected; combined with my Benchmark DAC1 - neutral and detailed. I may have to get my K701s back from my brother to do a comparison, but so far I think I prefer the DT880.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,013 of 12,548

My DT880's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back