The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #9,121 of 12,548
  Would the DT880 (600 Ohms) have less distortion than lower but still high Ohmage headphones such as the HD600 for example (300 Ohms)?

If I recall corectly... I think somebody answered you already a couple days ago. I think basically the amps your friend used does not have enough Voltage swing to power the 600 ohm version of the dt880. The simple solution would be getting a different version of the dt880. For example the 32 or the 250 ohms instead.

Or get a different amp.

May 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #9,122 of 12,548
  Let's not forget that people here tend to over-exaggerate every singe difference. A very slight change in something and they call it "night and day". 

And don't even get me started on those who believe in $100 USB cables. 

This isn't really aimed at you or anyone in particular, but as a general statement I don't see anyone on this thread saying that the Matrix M Stage (for example) is actually 2 times better than the FiiO E09K because it costs twice as much. 

May 30, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #9,123 of 12,548
  Would the DT880 (600 Ohms) have less distortion than lower but still high Ohmage headphones such as the HD600 for example (300 Ohms)?

higher ohm ratings don't decrease distortion, they improve damping factor, which is visible in square wave response. If you want to see distortion measurements, innerfidelity has measurements for most current headphones. Also, measured distortion is usually not a problem with this tier of headphone, so both will be pretty good. The only one I can recall with distortion issues is the midrange of the HE-400. I personally enjoy the dt880 and the HD600, and think they're pretty good for the price. As long as you have a decent desktop amp, you should be able to drive these. You may not get 100% out of them if the amp doesn't put out enough for them, but it shouldn't be too far off.

May 30, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #9,124 of 12,548
  higher ohm ratings don't decrease distortion, they improve damping factor, which is visible in square wave response. If you want to see distortion measurements, innerfidelity has measurements for most current headphones. Also, measured distortion is usually not a problem with this tier of headphone, so both will be pretty good. The only one I can recall with distortion issues is the midrange of the HE-400. I personally enjoy the dt880 and the HD600, and think they're pretty good for the price. As long as you have a decent desktop amp, you should be able to drive these. You may not get 100% out of them if the amp doesn't put out enough for them, but it shouldn't be too far off.

Is a higher damping factor important at all for sound quality?

May 30, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #9,125 of 12,548

Is a higher damping factor important at all for sound quality?

yes, better damping factor decreases the sharpness of the attack when the diaphragm moves. However, looking at measurements show that 250 ohm model is not far behind 600 ohm at all, just a little excess ringing after the initial diaphragm movement, barely even visible. They both outdo the 32 ohm model. I really would recommend the 600 ohm model, since they all cost the same, and amping requirements are blown way out of proportion here (watch me get slammed for this comment). I have the Schiit Modi and Vali and they power it quite nicely with plenty of room to move on the volume pot. I can even drive it well with my FiiO X3ii. The only source I've used that's really struggled to power it is my iPhone.

Here ya go: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Page 2 shows the square wave response, and the rest of the article up to then describes the importance of damping factor and explains what's going on.

May 30, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #9,126 of 12,548
  yes, better damping factor decreases the sharpness of the attack when the diaphragm moves. However, looking at measurements show that 250 ohm model is not far behind 600 ohm at all, just a little excess ringing after the initial diaphragm movement, barely even visible. They both outdo the 32 ohm model. I really would recommend the 600 ohm model, since they all cost the same, and amping requirements are blown way out of proportion here (watch me get slammed for this comment). I have the Schiit Modi and Vali and they power it quite nicely with plenty of room to move on the volume pot. I can even drive it well with my FiiO X3ii. The only source I've used that's really struggled to power it is my iPhone.

Here ya go: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Page 2 shows the square wave response, and the rest of the article up to then describes the importance of damping factor and explains what's going on.

I am personally tied between the HD600 and DT880 600 Ohms. It's a pretty tough choice. The DT880 has higher Ohmage but lacks the detachable cable. The HD600 is more open-back from what I hear which I prefer, and maybe more neutral. Still a very hard decision to make.

May 30, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #9,127 of 12,548
  I am personally tied between the HD600 and DT880 600 Ohms. It's a pretty tough choice. The DT880 has higher Ohmage but lacks the detachable cable. The HD600 is more open-back from what I hear which I prefer, and maybe more neutral. Still a very hard decision to make.

Both are open-back. Both are relatively neutral. And both needs decent amplifiers. Sure you can plug it directly to your PC and it will sounds good. But the dt880 250 ohms will definitely sound better on your PC than the dt880 600 ohms.

If you are set to get the 600 ohm dt880 vs the hd600, you need some well-designed amplifiers. A schiit magni 2 for example. That will set you at least $120 more from your headphone budget. What with mini-to-rca cables and shipping cost and stuffs.

May 30, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9,128 of 12,548

What do you think people on this thread will say?

I would tell you the opposite based on my experience of both, but all is a matter of taste. By far--and I mean wholeheartedly and exorbitantly--prefer the Sennheiser HD 6XX by a million years. It also seems to scale way better. I must confess I was loving the DT 880 until I woke up with severe pain in my right ear, the affliction of which I still feel. Others have truly not felt this, so please take my impressions with that in mind.

Even so, the scalability and natural timbre of the HD-650 on the LF 339 renders the DT 880 an easy one to return.

I must disclaim that I mean absolutely no offense to those who enjoy it. I tried my best to and actually dreamed of them for several months as being perfect pairings with my anticipated OTL.

Yet I will say that the HD 600 IMO is your first headphone you should try.

You posted here so you will hear opposite. lol. headfi factions :)

May 30, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #9,129 of 12,548
What do you think people on this thread will say?

I would tell you the opposite based on my experience of both, but all is a matter of taste. By far--and I mean wholeheartedly and exorbitantly--prefer the Sennheiser HD 6XX by a million years. It also seems to scale way better. I must confess I was loving the DT 880 until I woke up with severe pain in my right ear, the affliction of which I still feel. Others have truly not felt this, so please take my impressions with that in mind.

Even so, the scalability and natural timbre of the HD-650 on the LF 339 renders the DT 880 an easy one to return.

I must disclaim that I mean absolutely no offense to those who enjoy it. I tried my best to and actually dreamed of them for several months as being perfect pairings with my anticipated OTL.

Yet I will say that the HD 600 IMO is your first headphone you should try.

You posted here so you will hear opposite. lol. headfi factions
smily_headphones1.gif

This pain you mentioned, did it have to do with something specific about the DT880's? The bright treble maybe? From what I have read they have more piercing treble than the HD600's. I also hear that HD6XX are the easiest on the ears. Some people don't like that and want a little more oomph to their headphones, but if you use headphones a lot like I do you can start to be fatigued even by somewhat bright headphones after a while. Some people have more sensitive ears I suppose.

The HD600 does sound like the safest choice to go with. Thanks for the advice.

May 30, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #9,130 of 12,548

By far--and I mean wholeheartedly and exorbitantly--prefer the Sennheiser HD 6XX by a million years.

I'm just glad you weren't tempted by your experience into exaggeration and hyperbole.
wink.gif

May 30, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #9,131 of 12,548
I think it was the treble spike, but I am not sure.

I think this is all a matter of taste though. The best thing is to let your ears decide.

Both are pretty well-established headphones, true classics.

I will say that I adored the DT 880 for classical, but so do I with the Senns.

May 30, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #9,133 of 12,548

This pain you mentioned, did it have to do with something specific about the DT880's? The bright treble maybe? From what I have read they have more piercing treble than the HD600's. I also hear that HD6XX are the easiest on the ears. Some people don't like that and want a little more oomph to their headphones, but if you use headphones a lot like I do you can start to be fatigued even by somewhat bright headphones after a while. Some people have more sensitive ears I suppose.

The HD600 does sound like the safest choice to go with. Thanks for the advice.

Each headphones has it's own FR peak. Each person have sensitivities on different areas of the Frequency Range. I have sensitivity range that coincides with dt880 treble peak, so dt880 hurts my inner ear (having vestibular neurinitis doesn't help).

However, grado sr325, which is actually quite brighter than the dt880 doesn't hurt my ear. A rolled-off trebles headphone will still hurt your ear if it's peak coincides with your own ear's sensitivity range.
On top of that, not everybody is sensitive to trebles peak, many doesn't. Also how loud you listen will also contributes to how long you can listen before fatigue sets in.

I think it's wiser for you to audition both, in a place that provides decent amplifiers. Or at the very least least something that isn't your cellphone.

May 30, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #9,134 of 12,548
I think it was the treble spike, but I am not sure.

I think this is all a matter of taste though. The best thing is to let your ears decide.

Both are pretty well-established headphones, true classics.

I will say that I adored the DT 880 for classical, but so do I with the Senns.

I love the DT880 for classical also, but I found both the 600 and 650 rather harsh on strings--the 600 particularly, probably due to a rather fulsome output in the lower treble. The 880 has been criticised for being rather reticent in that area, but I think it's that that makes it so suitable for classical. I have no technical explanation for that, but I've heard it mentioned before, and I'm now turned off any phone that has a pronounced output in the 2-4khz region, like the Shure SRH1840.

graphCompare.php

May 31, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #9,135 of 12,548
I love the DT880 for classical also, but I found both the 600 and 650 rather harsh on strings--the 600 particularly, probably due to a rather fulsome output in the lower treble. The 880 has been criticised for being rather reticent in that area, but I think it's that that makes it so suitable for classical. I have no technical explanation for that, but I've heard it mentioned before, and I'm now turned off any phone that has a pronounced output in the 2-4khz region, like the Shure SRH1840.

graphCompare.php

I actually know what you mean, but less for strings with me and more with aggressive horns (i.e. Mahler). The DT 880 was the first headphone that I could enjoy brass on. I tend to really enjoy strings on the HD 6XX though. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back