The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #871 of 12,548

Quote:
Too bad no one on this thread lives near me otherwise I would let you demo all five of my beyers (Tesla T1, DT770, DT880, DT990, Revox 3100).

Can we PLEASE have a comparison review (including which vintage/model each headphone is...)

I have to Revox but no opportunity to compare to the other/later beyers....

Thanks

David

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #872 of 12,548
I actually have a rather big thread in my signature that compares lots of beyers and also against other headphones.

The Revox 3100 is a vintage OEM DT880/600Ohm.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #873 of 12,548
I took delivery of the 880-600s yesterday and I've very pleased the top end sibilance of the 990pro-250s is gone... This is a very smooth signature..

Running off my 24v M3 amp it's my early opinion that the amp is inadequate for the 600s... They sound a little veiled and restrained.

My early opinion is that they require much more voltage - something like the 520v all tube Bijou amp would suit perfectly IMO...

That said, i'm sticking it on round the clock burn in and will reassess in about 150hrs...

But so far I can very much appreciate the sound sig... sounds lovely and smooth, i just wish it oculd break out from a proper source and amp (pending).

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #874 of 12,548
I have old dt990 600 ohms from 1987 I believe and they sound really good. More transparent and with more details comparing to 880pro new model. 250 ohm. I have to say that stx isnt best partner for 990/600 and tubeamp would be really good with it.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #875 of 12,548
I just read your comparison thread... it reduces my desire to get HP's just so I can compare them...

Sounds like (from the Beyer Range) I already have the HP's that would suit me best (Revox 3100)

Course that is not to say I wouldn't like to taste some flavours from outside the Beyer Kitchen....

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #876 of 12,548
To all head-fi enthusiasts willing to help a head-fier out!

I am looking for either a set of DT880s or a pair of drivers for testing purposes. As some of you might know I have mine modded a la the closeback mod and I want to take this mod to the next level by building bigger cups for them out of wood. My first prototpe was a succes in that I heard some improvements (credibility of sound for example, it reminded me of a pair of Darth Deep cups!) but a failure in that the bass became too overwhelming and that I couldn't A/B with my stock CB. I do believe however that bigger cups can provide a better sound so I am not giving this idea up just yet.

Here is a picture of my first prototype :-D It had 4 rings with a 5d ring for closing it all up.

Preferably I buy some 600OHM drivers so my A/B tests between the two DT880s will be more fair. However, living in the Netherlands I am unable to buy the drivers directly from Beyer and buying a completely new set of phones is ridiculous as I won't be using the cups/headband at all. I hope someone from the USA or Germany wants to be the middle guy for me.

I hope to hear something from you! :-D

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #877 of 12,548
Just received my dt800/600 yesterday and loving them! Let the burn in process begin!

ff11078e.jpg

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #878 of 12,548

Quote:

Preferably I buy some 600OHM drivers so my A/B tests between the two DT880s will be more fair. However, living in the Netherlands I am unable to buy the drivers directly from Beyer and buying a completely new set of phones is ridiculous as I won't be using the cups/headband at all. I hope someone from the USA or Germany wants to be the middle guy for me.

I hope to hear something from you! :-D

That guy will propably be me... 
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #879 of 12,548
How much burn-in do these typically need? I'm buying these in a couple of weeks or so to accompany my k702s, and I'm just trying to get all my research out of the way first. I will be driving them with my M-Stage.

-Daniel

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #880 of 12,548
I was considering getting the DT 880 250 Ohm version, but reading from a more than a few posts looks like DT 880 600 Ohm are better....

I'm planning on getting HT | OMEGA Claro Halo audio sound card for my PC.  It states that it supports 600 Ohm headphone...

I'm wondering if this sound card will actually be enough for this headphone ?

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #882 of 12,548

Quote:
I was considering getting the DT 880 250 Ohm version, but reading from a more than a few posts looks like DT 880 600 Ohm are better....

I'm planning on getting HT | OMEGA Claro Halo audio sound card for my PC.  It states that it supports 600 Ohm headphone...

I'm wondering if this sound card will actually be enough for this headphone ?

no frikken way dude... how about jumping on beyers own webpage and reading the difference b/w impedences on their website? they are quite clear that 600s require proper high end amping.... in fact they say that for the 250s too, but they will be far more forgiving...

u'd be far better off with the 250s or even the 32s, unless u're gunna drop at least as much as your spending on the phones on a decent high voltage amp.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #883 of 12,548

Quote:
The sound card will likely be fine, but you won't be getting the full potential out of your phones without a good amp. Mine are temporarily driven by the Maverick D1. But only until my Woo Audio 6 arrives next week.
biggrin.gif

I'll start checking these amps.

Quote:
no frikken way dude... how about jumping on beyers own webpage and reading the difference b/w impedences on their website? they are quite clear that 600s require proper high end amping.... in fact they say that for the 250s too, but they will be far more forgiving...

u'd be far better off with the 250s or even the 32s, unless u're gunna drop at least as much as your spending on the phones on a decent high voltage amp.

I'm not sure if you know this... but the HT | OMEGA Claro Halo have a built in headphone amplifier and according to them, this sound card supports up to 600 Ohm Headphones.  Since this sound card already has a headphone amp I'm not sure if an additional amp is necessary ?  I was unable to find any reviews for this but buyers in newegg give it a thumbs up.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #884 of 12,548
Actually the 32Ohm models need more power than the 250Ohm model IMO. But's it's been a while since I listened to them, but from memory they needed to be turned up louder on my amp than the 250Ohm DT880.

Quote:

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #885 of 12,548

Quote:
The sound card will likely be fine, but you won't be getting the full potential out of your phones without a good amp. Mine are temporarily driven by the Maverick D1. But only until my Woo Audio 6 arrives next week.
biggrin.gif

Wow, the Maverick D1 looks sweet... and the Woo Audio 6 looks like something from the past... LOL (but I'm sure it will perform well).   I have a daughter and those lights may look tempting to her and possibly break ?

I'm starting to like the idea of a separate amp... Can I ask why you are replacing the Maverick D1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back