The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #826 of 12,548

Quote:
No offence, I did not doubt your ability or braveness, just had the impression that you can't be bothered, as you tend to be more active in new stuff threads than in tinker stuff threads 
tongue.gif

Generally, you are quite right, although I hope that this will subside not that I have made the investment in 4 upper-tier headphones...

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #828 of 12,548
Not for me. 

Even though I had T1 and quite happy with its much precise soundstage, better transparency, more detail, and better bass, I still enjoy DT880/600 (need to be recabled) immensely.  The tonality of DT880/600 and the coherence of frequency bands are just so nice for relaxed listening.  T1 sometimes loses that kind of enjoyment. 

I don't see that my DT880/600 will lost my head time much (maybe 50/50 with T1).  It is quite a achievement to me considering that DT880/600 costs less than 1/4 of T1's price.

Not trying to start a debate.  Just trying to provide another data sample. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #829 of 12,548
Just got my DT880/600 back from Zombie-X.  Just a few minutes of listening and comparing to T1, I was very happy with this recabled Manufaktur.  The new champagne-colored cable matches well with the same color forks that hold the ear cup.  But most importantly, it sounds great!!

This specific DT880/600 has gone through some unique process.  Zombie-X found out that the "diode" on the drive was missing in the recable process.  Since mine was ordered directly from Beyer-USA, they are willing to send me a pair of drivers with diode.  Zombie-X was kind enough to get the drivers, swap them, and get his new cable on them. 

Just from the memory, the sound of this new driver with diode does sound much smoother and fuller.  Other improvement such as wider and deeper soundstage with very nice focus may come from the new cable.  I'll need more time to compare it with my another mogami-recabled DT880/600.  But just by direct compare with T1, I am very surprised this Neuclotide-recabled DT880 seems to be doing better than the other one:  The depth of the soundstage seems to be better and more accurate.  It also sounds more transparent with very smooth sound texture.  The mid to high sounds silk-like and very enjoyable with zero aggressiveness.  The bass positioning seems also better.

Overall, I would rate this definitely step-up upgrading.  And Zombie-X did excellent job and customer service.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #830 of 12,548
Did you recable single or dual-entry?  And if dual, did Zombie plug the holes from what was the connecting cable? If not, that will have the effect of increasing the bass quantity.  I found that on the DT770/600, that effect is quite beneficial.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #831 of 12,548
No physical modification on the ear cup in this recabling.  Still single entry and same wire route.  I understand what you describing and agree with you.  The other DT880/600 I have does have that hole due to dual entry and I have wonder about that.  Thank for the suggestion and I'll plug that hole later.

I think the major contribution comes from "dioded" drivers and new balanced cable.  It has always been SE in the past.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #833 of 12,548

Quote:
No physical modification on the ear cup in this recabling.  Still single entry and same wire route.  I understand what you describing and agree with you.  The other DT880/600 I have does have that hole due to dual entry and I have wonder about that.  Thank for the suggestion and I'll plug that hole later.

I think the major contribution comes from "dioded" drivers and new balanced cable.  It has always been SE in the past.

Hey mate, mind posting a picture? I was thinking of getting a champagne colored DT880 with brown colored headband myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #835 of 12,548

Quote:
Just got my DT880/600 back from Zombie-X.  Just a few minutes of listening and comparing to T1, I was very happy with this recabled Manufaktur.  The new champagne-colored cable matches well with the same color forks that hold the ear cup.  But most importantly, it sounds great!!

This specific DT880/600 has gone through some unique process.  Zombie-X found out that the "diode" on the drive was missing in the recable process.  Since mine was ordered directly from Beyer-USA, they are willing to send me a pair of drivers with diode.  Zombie-X was kind enough to get the drivers, swap them, and get his new cable on them. 

Just from the memory, the sound of this new driver with diode does sound much smoother and fuller.  Other improvement such as wider and deeper soundstage with very nice focus may come from the new cable.  I'll need more time to compare it with my another mogami-recabled DT880/600.  But just by direct compare with T1, I am very surprised this Neuclotide-recabled DT880 seems to be doing better than the other one:  The depth of the soundstage seems to be better and more accurate.  It also sounds more transparent with very smooth sound texture.  The mid to high sounds silk-like and very enjoyable with zero aggressiveness.  The bass positioning seems also better.

Overall, I would rate this definitely step-up upgrading.  And Zombie-X did excellent job and customer service.

Quote:
Did you recable single or dual-entry?  And if dual, did Zombie plug the holes from what was the connecting cable? If not, that will have the effect of increasing the bass quantity.  I found that on the DT770/600, that effect is quite beneficial.

How did you guys find the Audio GD Phoenix and T1s match up? Did you use them SE or balanced?

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #837 of 12,548
Definitely balanced.  SE will not do the justice according to mine and several reports.

To me T1 + Phoenix and T1 + CSP2+ are about the same league.  Preliminarily, I may prefer the CSP2 combo but that was before I balanced T1's connection.  CSP2 give T1 more body and richer sound.  More to come but that should belong to T1 thread.
biggrin.gif

Interestingly, similar trend seems to apply to DT880/600 as well.

Quote:
How did you guys find the Audio GD Phoenix and T1s match up? Did you use them SE or balanced?

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #839 of 12,548
I just received my DT880/600s and I am very impressed.  Coming from a pair of D5000s I was afraid the bass was going to be too light on the DT880s.  Well, it isn't, at all.  Dare I say I am actually beginning to prefer the bass on the DT880s more.  It just feels right, and makes the D5000s seem a bit boomy in that area.  I don't care too much about the isolation or lack of.  Even being closed cans the D5000s offered little isolation.  

Now, I am just waiting to get my Matrix M-Stage to take these DT880s to next level as I am running them out of my Auzentech Forte card right now.

These are just initial impressions, but so far, so great!

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #840 of 12,548
One more ex-basshead
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back