The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #4,936 of 12,546
FYI you can also see the uncompensated curves in Tyll's datasheets:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4,937 of 12,546
Hi all, new to the Head-Fi community (felt I would join after reading these threads so much). Just ordered a pair of dt880's (600ohm) yesterday as an upgrade to my ATH-M50's (also ordered a Magni-Modi amp/DAC combo to power them). Thought I would let people know (hopefully this is a good thread to do it on) that I was able to pick them up new for $250 (Canadian dollors) from NCIX (seems to be a weekly special, link below):

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1313

Anyways, my student's wallet hates me right now, but that seems to be a curse among audiophiles. Once I figure out how to describe sound (mids, highs, etc.) I think I will attempt to give my impression of the Beyers and how they compare to my ATH-M50's...really hope I am in for an enlightening experience.

(Also, I am open to recommendations of albums/material to put these things through their paces...I tend to listen mostly to rock, with Rush, Zepellin and The Who being some favourites, but I also wouldn't mind some recommendations in classical or jazz music so that I can dip my toe in those genres)

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,938 of 12,546
There's some really nice movie soundtracks.

Orchestral Stuff :
Inception,
Man of Steel,
The Dark Knight Trilogy,
(Hans Zimmer does great stuff)

Nicola Benedetti - Violin centric albums.

Live stuff is fantastic :
Clapton - One More Car, One More Rider
Dave Matthews Band - Live at Wrigley
Tegan and Sara - Get Along

Those are on my daily play list, all can be found on Spotify. Enjoy! :dt880smile:

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4,939 of 12,546
Hi, I just got a DT880 pro 250 ohm and am trying to decide between ALO International and Pico headamp dac/amp .. does anyone know which would suit better with DT880? I had a chance to audition ALO but not Pico. Thanks in advance. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4,940 of 12,546
  (Also, I am open to recommendations of albums/material to put these things through their paces...I tend to listen mostly to rock, with Rush, Zepellin and The Who being some favourites, but I also wouldn't mind some recommendations in classical or jazz music so that I can dip my toe in those genres)

If you're looking at classical, here's a few to try:

-Gustav Holst - The Planets suite (the Dutoit / OSM version is my personal favorite)
-Johann Sebastian Bach - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues (performed by E. Power Biggs)
-Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach: Violin Concertos (out of dozens of recordings, this one is a personal favorite and sounds like maple syrup on nice headphones)
-Gabriel Faure - Requiem Op. 48 (there are many recordings; I like this one)
-Felix Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto Op. 64 (Itzhak Perlman's version is pretty nice)

I picked these particular selections both because I happen to like the performances and, more to the point, because they're particularly good sounding recordings, which is what you asked for. The Holst and first Bach will show off the balance and wide frequency bandwidth of the DT880, which are important with full-scale orchestral and organ music, respectively. The Holst, the first Bach, and the Faure will demonstrate the bass extension of the DT880--it goes deep, even if it's not hyped up. The second Bach, the Faure, and the Mendelssohn will demonstrate the upper midrange presence and treble extension, which are important for a realistic rendering of midrange instruments like the violin in the Bach and Mendelssohn, and the choir in the Faure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Bach Toccatas and Fugues is an awesome recording for another reason. The chapel in which it was recorded has four separate organs, in four separate quadrants of the space, all controlled by a single console. The organist can play any individual organ, all at once, or any combination. The recording actually conveys spatial information about the locations of each instrument--it's not quite like a binaural recording, but if your equipment has good enough imaging, you can pick out which direction the music is coming from. You can even hear parts that sound like they're coming from somewhere just behind your shoulder, which is pretty eerie for a stereo recording.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4,942 of 12,546
There's some really nice movie soundtracks.

Orchestral Stuff :
Inception,
Man of Steel,
The Dark Knight Trilogy,
(Hans Zimmer does great stuff)

Nicola Benedetti - Violin centric albums.

Live stuff is fantastic :
Clapton - One More Car, One More Rider
Dave Matthews Band - Live at Wrigley
Tegan and Sara - Get Along

Those are on my daily play list, all can be found on Spotify. Enjoy!
dt880smile.png

Thank you for your suggestions, will give this stuff a listen (too bad I can't get Spotify in Canada
frown.gif
). In regards to soundtrack music, I have the Two Steps from Hell "Invincible" album, so that could definitely be a fun (and probably intense) listen with the Beyers.

If you're looking at classical, here's a few to try:

-Gustav Holst - The Planets suite (the Dutoit / OSM version is my personal favorite)
-Johann Sebastian Bach - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues (performed by E. Power Biggs)
-Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach: Violin Concertos (out of dozens of recordings, this one is a personal favorite and sounds like maple syrup on nice headphones)
-Gabriel Faure - Requiem Op. 48 (there are many recordings; I like this one)
-Felix Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto Op. 64 (Itzhak Perlman's version is pretty nice)

I picked these particular selections both because I happen to like the performances and, more to the point, because they're particularly good sounding recordings, which is what you asked for. The Holst and first Bach will show off the balance and wide frequency bandwidth of the DT880, which are important with full-scale orchestral and organ music, respectively. The Holst, the first Bach, and the Faure will demonstrate the bass extension of the DT880--it goes deep, even if it's not hyped up. The second Bach, the Faure, and the Mendelssohn will demonstrate the upper midrange presence and treble extension, which are important for a realistic rendering of midrange instruments like the violin in the Bach and Mendelssohn, and the choir in the Faure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Bach Toccatas and Fugues is an awesome recording for another reason. The chapel in which it was recorded has four separate organs, in four separate quadrants of the space, all controlled by a single console. The organist can play any individual organ, all at once, or any combination. The recording actually conveys spatial information about the locations of each instrument--it's not quite like a binaural recording, but if your equipment has good enough imaging, you can pick out which direction the music is coming from. You can even hear parts that sound like they're coming from somewhere just behind your shoulder, which is pretty eerie for a stereo recording.

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply...I am really just starting to listen to classical music, so it is always good to hear what other people enjoy (and what they think are good recordings). I will definitely have to give these a listen, especially since my gear is just starting to get respectable
smile_phones.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #4,944 of 12,546
  Hi all, new to the Head-Fi community (felt I would join after reading these threads so much). Just ordered a pair of dt880's (600ohm) yesterday as an upgrade to my ATH-M50's (also ordered a Magni-Modi amp/DAC combo to power them). Thought I would let people know (hopefully this is a good thread to do it on) that I was able to pick them up new for $250 (Canadian dollors) from NCIX (seems to be a weekly special, link below):

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1313

Anyways, my student's wallet hates me right now, but that seems to be a curse among audiophiles. Once I figure out how to describe sound (mids, highs, etc.) I think I will attempt to give my impression of the Beyers and how they compare to my ATH-M50's...really hope I am in for an enlightening experience.

Congrats man :) You'll love the DT880's. I have the M50's and i consider the Beyers to be better in ever possible way. Definitely an upgrade you'll be happy with. 

I don't listen to a lot of classical or jazz, but Daft Punk's tron album is pretty epic. This song sounds incredible on the DT880's (Its not very well recorded so turn the volume slightly louder):

A lot of new DT880 owners. Hell yeah 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #4,945 of 12,546
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,946 of 12,546
The TRON album is great, but I enjoy the R3CONFIGUR3D version more.

Both are indeed a great listen on the Ultraso... Sorry DT880's :D

Some 6Ж5П's arrived today, so I'm going to slap them into the Little Dot, plug in the 880's, spin up a little Disturbed's Asylum album and read xkonfuzed's comparison.
:beerchug:

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,947 of 12,546

We're pretty good at roping them in. 
smile.gif

Agreed, read these threads and couldn't resist (that, and I was able to get the 600ohm premiums for $250 new...would have probably had to drop $400 for a new pair of any else comparable)

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,948 of 12,546
The TRON album is great, but I enjoy the R3CONFIGUR3D version more.

Both are indeed a great listen on the Ultraso... Sorry DT880's :D

Some 6Ж5П's arrived today, so I'm going to slap them into the Little Dot, plug in the 880's, spin up a little Disturbed's Asylum album and read xkonfuzed's comparison.
:beerchug:

I didn't know the DT880's could produce Ultrasound :p

Haha thanks bro, and enjoy! :D

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,949 of 12,546

Thank you for your suggestions, will give this stuff a listen (too bad I can't get Spotify in Canada
frown.gif
). In regards to soundtrack music, I have the Two Steps from Hell "Invincible" album, so that could definitely be a fun (and probably intense) listen with the Beyers.
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply...I am really just starting to listen to classical music, so it is always good to hear what other people enjoy (and what they think are good recordings). I will definitely have to give these a listen, especially since my gear is just starting to get respectable
smile_phones.gif

you can get spotify in Canada. just use a vpn redirect and download it and when starting spotify. Thx 90210 helping canadians get free spotify for years

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,950 of 12,546
How good are the mids on the dt 880? I was thinking about getting the premium version, I am currently undecided between the q701, or the 880's even considering some 535's. I mentioned to Tyll, that I like headphones with a really accentuated and forward midrange but don't lack dynamics and he recommend these. I am actually a amateur singer and I love intimate forward sounding vocals above all else, I love to play attention to the lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back