The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #4,892 of 12,546
I've played around with it a few times, and the most expensive thing I could come up with was a DT990, all decked out, for slightly less than $500 if I remember correctly. Doing it just now, things apparently haven't changed (with all the most expensive options it's $492 usd).

I also love that the banner on the Manufaktur page shows a DT770-like headphone with wooden cup covers and bodies and burgundy leather, neither of which would have been an option (the point is moot, anyway, since you can't even get a DT770 Premium anymore). Time to change the banner, guys:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/manufaktur/

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,893 of 12,546
I've played around with it a few times, and the most expensive thing I could come up with was a DT990, all decked out, for slightly less than $500 if I remember correctly. Doing it just now, things apparently haven't changed (with all the most expensive options it's $492 usd).

I also love that the banner on the Manufaktur page shows a DT770-like headphone with wooden cup covers and bodies and burgundy leather, neither of which would have been an option (the point is moot, anyway, since you can't even get a DT770 Premium anymore). Time to change the banner, guys:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/manufaktur/

What the heck is salmon leather...picturing tiny racks with salmon skins "tanning" on them

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #4,894 of 12,546
What the heck is salmon leather...picturing tiny racks with salmon skins "tanning" on them

I hadn't spotted that part.
biggrin.gif
 Google seems to think it's actually fish skin, repurposed from the food industry. Kinda like how regular leather is animal skins that would otherwise be thrown away after the edible parts are processed, I guess.

Why on earth you'd want this on your headphones is anybody's guess, but there's no accounting for taste. And you can bet somebody will have pads made out of it and will claim that it produces a unique sound.

What gets me is that none of that stuff they mention, including the salmon leather, appears to actually be available. Unless there's some exclusive ordering process not mentioned on the page. The Manufaktur design apps (if you want to call them that) just basically offer different colors to the already existing parts of the design, or else let you have carbon fiber or different plastics. No wood or salmon leather.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4,895 of 12,546
I actually like the coiled cable on my Pros. Its a very high quality cable that stretches easily but doesn't lose its shape over time like others can and the clamping force is enough that the cable doesn't pull on the left cup noticeably. I have no regrets about the coiled cable at all. My DT770 Premium 600 ohm is too lose after a year or so of use, I prefer the higher clamping force. For the price I think the Pro is a no-brainer but to each his own.

agreed my 880 preuim is too lose imo. it doesnt move around or fall off but i to xtra clamp n coiled cables

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,899 of 12,546
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,900 of 12,546
I was selected for the Burson / Audeze loaner program. It's going to be great to hear the LCD's and the DT880's through the Burson. Also the LCD's on tubes as well. Can't wait, it will be awesome!

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #4,902 of 12,546
I was selected for the Burson / Audeze loaner program. It's going to be great to hear the LCD's and the DT880's through the Burson. Also the LCD's on tubes as well. Can't wait, it will be awesome!

You jerk face, HOW HOW did you get on it q.q 

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,903 of 12,546
You jerk face, HOW HOW did you get on it q.q 
They called for applicants on Facebook in the Head-Fi group, and I applied... Only one from Canada, lots from the states. Give your singing the praises of balanced a rest and get up on the Head-Fi Facebook group for a while... :D

J/K they will probably have another one down the road.

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,904 of 12,546
  I've had the Modi/Magni paired with my Beyer 880 250 ohms for the last week or so.  Sounds great to me, much better than out of my computer's sound card (although I'm using a laptop with cruddy built-in sound).  If it's important to you, one of the reasons I went with Schiit is their reputation for customer service.  There's a very active bunch of Schiitheads on this site too.  Check the Schiit thread before you buy:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite

You have the very pairing I am considering going with. I don't have my dt880s yet (I am in the process of purchasing them from a friendly fellow headfier :) ) but I am doing a fair bit of research. Would you describe the sound as neutral? Do you have any other amps? I was gonna go with the odac/02, but from what I understand the odac has a lot of issues (I can elaborate if someone would like me to), though I may be wrong about that. So right now I am really curious about the modi, and am thinking of pairing it with an O2.

Is the modi neutral?

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,905 of 12,546
  You have the very pairing I am considering going with. I don't have my dt880s yet (I am in the process of purchasing them from a friendly fellow headfier :) ) but I am doing a fair bit of research. Would you describe the sound as neutral? Do you have any other amps? I was gonna go with the odac/02, but from what I understand the odac has a lot of issues (I can elaborate if someone would like me to), though I may be wrong about that. So right now I am really curious about the modi, and am thinking of pairing it with an O2.

Is the modi neutral?

DT880's are brighter than most of my cans... But then again, "what's YOUR definition of BRIGHT?"  Sound wise, to me they are very neutral.  Female vocals are fantastic and details are up to par with most of the more expensive headphones out there.  IMHO good choice for your bucks. 

I've tried this though, dunno if this would help:

Modi/Asgard 2= brighter with fine details
Modi/Fiio E09K= darker with less details
Modi/Lyr= right in between the two but with fine details. (stock tubes)

I haven't tried the modi/O2 but people say they are darker than the schiit stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back