The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,566 of 12,548
Quote:

Well, I am all for reduction in snobiness.   

There are some instances where the 600 ohm DT880 might sound better- and that is when used with some OTL tube amps with rather high-ish source impedance. YMMV!!!
  1. The 600 ohm 'phones won't load the amp down a whole lot- these amps want to deliver voltage, not current so much.  So the amp should maybe sound a little better- MAYBE. (I am thinking Bottlehead Crack here- they like higher impedance 'phones.)
  2. The 600 ohm 'phones will  damped more on these amps than the 250 ohm ones.  Now, this is an electronics 101 type Ohm's law kind of thing, the math shows more damping, not sure you can hear this.

So, maybe the 600 ohm 'phones could sound a little better in these instances.  The operative word here is MAYBE.  

I had the 250 ohm DT880's, I sold them and got the 600 ohm.  But I did not sell them because of impedance- I sold them 'cause my old 250 ohm ones had a very fancy rather costly and REALLY REALLY STIFF cable on them.  I COULD NOT STAND THAT CABLE, IT HAD A MIND OF IT'S OWN LIKE A SNAKE.  The cable was fancy and $$$, like I said, so I sold those phones and bought a new pair of DT880's  with the stock flexible cable.  As long as I was getting a new set, I opted for 600 ohms- because MAYBE they will get along just a smidge better with my Bottlehead Crack/Speedball amp.  Maybe. In theory. 

Maybe they do.  Without the old 250 ohm headphones for A/B, I dunno.  The new 600 ohm jobs sound good on the Crack.  So did the old 250 ohm ones.  The DT880 is my favorite "premium-but-not-top-of-the-line" headphone.  And they are just about THE most comfortable headphones I have.

So the sound is maybe improved.  Or maybe it isn't.  But WOW do I like the "regular" cable, it hasn't tried to strangle me once, nor has it tried to flip my amp off the desk.  Which the old cable routinely tried to do.

Or maybe not!
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,567 of 12,548
from what i read the 600 ohm is more refined than the 250 ohm.
will i notice the difference between the two version with a fiio e17?
some say the e17 works with the 600 ohms , other say it wont sound good. I also read the e17 is not good for the 250 ohm.
Than other say its good with 250 ohm. i read alot of different opinions.
i quess every opinion is true because music is subjective.
but i need to buy one of these two versions. I want the 600 ohms but doubt it will work with the e17.

is there a cheap portable amp/dac like the e17 with optical for ps3 that works well with the 600 ohm?

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,569 of 12,548
Quote:
Can anyone compare the DT 880 to the Hifiman HE-400?  I've noticed that only one person who liked the DT 880 more than the HE-400. The few others I have asked through PM said that the HE-400 is better. Can anyone else comment?

I personally like the DT880 much, much more. It's more comfortable, for one thing. The HE400's treble can be a bit hot at times, and I found it much more fatiguing than my DT880. They're also heavier and clamp more. I think mids are better on the DT880/600 and bass is punchier. The bass on the HE400 is different. It's very textured and goes deep, but it never satisfied me. It's a good sounding headphone, no doubt, but combined with the comfort issues and making my ears ring every day, I returned them. I ended up getting the DT880/600 a month or so later and I remembered why I loved the 250ohm. They are fantastic headphones.

will i notice the difference between the two version with a fiio e17?
some say the e17 works with the 600 ohms , other say it wont sound good. I also read the e17 is not good for the 250 ohm.
Than other say its good with 250 ohm. i read alot of different opinions.
i quess every opinion is true because music is subjective.
but i need to buy one of these two versions. I want the 600 ohms but doubt it will work with the e17.

is there a cheap portable amp/dac like the e17 with optical for ps3 that works well with the 600 ohm?

Personally I thought the E17 was quite nice with my DT880/250. Obviously you can provide much more power to the 600ohm, but the E17 is no slouch. Depending on what you're coming from, I think you'd find it's good with the 600ohm, despite knowing they could sound even better with a more powerful amp.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,570 of 12,548
Quote:

That thread has very little activity. I think I'll just go ahead and post in here. 
biggrin.gif

Regular DT880/600 Ohm are tight enough.
No a big fan of heavy clamping headphones.

That's interesting, I have the DT770/600 and they have the loosest clamp of any over-ear I've tried. When they were brand new the clamping force was about perfect but over time they loosened up a bit, as they do, and are now loose to the point that if I look down they will gradually start to slide off my head. That's the main reason I opted for the DT880 Pro over the Premium. Can't wait for them to arrive on Monday.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,571 of 12,548
I guess its all about hour big your head is.I had dt 770 and now dt880 and they they are both very confortable.I owned for about 1 week sennheiser pc 360 and the clamp was really tight....they shared the 558 design,wich in turn shares hd 600 and 650 design(or similar).

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,573 of 12,548
Quote:

Hmm. Is it possible some people don't read previous posts before posting? Nah, couldn't be.

While I'm here, has anyone directly compared Pro and ordinary versions to see what difference the tighter clamp makes? It surely has to affect the bass in providing a tighter seal, and should also bring the driver a smidgeon closer to the ear. It's possible we're missing the primary difference between 880s here, which may not be impedance but clamping force, and thus talking about two different things.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,574 of 12,548
Anyone have experiance with Amazon Warehouse and their warranty? I'm detecting crackling in my headphones.. I don't like that. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,575 of 12,548
Typically there's no warranty on used headphones through Amazon Warehouse Deals but I would check with the manufacturer.

Edit: Amazon might still offer 30-day returns on them but I'm not sure.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,576 of 12,548
I guess its all about hour big your head is.I had dt 770 and now dt880 and they they are both very confortable.I owned for about 1 week sennheiser pc 360 and the clamp was really tight....they shared the 558 design,wich in turn shares hd 600 and 650 design(or similar).

I rebought the 880s to replace the pc360s which I could no longer stand comfort-wise. I think they are better than the Senns for both gaming and music anyways. And a huge improvement on comfort.

While I'm here, has anyone directly compared Pro and ordinary versions to see what difference the tighter clamp makes? It surely has to affect the bass in providing a tighter seal, and should also bring the driver a smidgeon closer to the ear. It's possible we're missing the primary difference between 880s here, which may not be impedance but clamping force, and thus talking about two different things.

Just push on the ones you've got. Given the nature of the velour pads I'm not sure how much difference it will make. Likely make more if they were leather. I bought leather pads for the 880s years ago and think they are better for music. I leave them off for now because they make things a bit too bassy for gaming.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,577 of 12,548

I rebought the 880s to replace the pc360s which I could no longer stand comfort-wise. I think they are better than the Senns for both gaming and music anyways. And a huge improvement on comfort.

Just push on the ones you've got. Given the nature of the velour pads I'm not sure how much difference it will make. Likely make more if they were leather. I bought leather pads for the 880s years ago and think they are better for music. I leave them off for now because they make things a bit too bassy for gaming.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,578 of 12,548
Returning the DT880 250 ohm for full money, getting the 600 ohm when Amazon is at its lowest price. Its lowest price, usually, is $240 right?

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,580 of 12,548
Quote:
And why are you changing impedances exactly? Are the 600 ohm models less likely to crackle?

Just seeing if I can tell a difference, if not, I have a new pair. Got the 250's used, this happens, buy new, hopefully no problems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back