The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,696 of 12,548
That kind of comparison wouldn't work because there's still the variable of 2 headphones of the same model sounding different. The only way to have a conclusive result would be to buy the 2 models and try them both straight out of the box. If you can, compare them in a blind test that doesn't last over 10 minutes with each (I believe burn-in, when noticeable, occurs in a few hours). Only if they sound very close to one another, or indistinguishable, keep one of them untouched and use the other. Then compare. Otherwise you won't know wether those 2 were't different to begin with.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,697 of 12,548
I have not noticed any burn-in at all on my DT 880 600. They sounded jaw-dropping out of the box and they still do. 

Coming from some Superlux HD668b (I felt that these did have some noticeable burn-in after a few days) I instantly noticed the much smoother highs and the overall more refined sound.
However these cans have a fairly similar sound signature so maybe I'm just noticing that burn-in is more of a psychological effect. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,698 of 12,548
Quote:
That kind of comparison wouldn't work because there's still the variable of 2 headphones of the same model sounding different.

Then buying the same headphone 2 years later and it sounded completely different is a bigger eye-opener than burn-in. To put it in perspective, if headphones change that much from the manufacturer in a couple of years then reviews are pointless. With so much talk of the T1 irregularities (bass heavy, bass light) I'm wondering what's going on that's changing the drivers so drastically? Is driver pairing more important than we all think it is? Is a 2009 DT880 better than a 2011 DT880?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,699 of 12,548
I just received my first pair of dt880 600 ohm Beyers.  I got them through Amazon Warehouse Deals which means I saved $60 but it was an opened box that had supposedly been returned and couldn't be sold as New anymore.  Only prob. is that I've found no way to verify that they are actually the 600 ohm model...the box says so but my paranoid side says that someone could've upgraded themselves and sent back a 32 or 250 ohm model in the 600 box.  Is there anyway to tell which you have from the actual can?  I couldn't find any indicator or serial number but haven't taken anything apart yet.  thanks for any advice.  
ps. I like the clarity and detail so far, not used to the bass sig. (there but not very full sounding)...coming from years with Grado HF-1's run through a Woo 6SE...

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,700 of 12,548

I just received my first pair of dt880 600 ohm Beyers.  I got them through Amazon Warehouse Deals which means I saved $60 but it was an opened box that had supposedly been returned and couldn't be sold as New anymore.  Only prob. is that I've found no way to verify that they are actually the 600 ohm model...the box says so but my paranoid side says that someone could've upgraded themselves and sent back a 32 or 250 ohm model in the 600 box.  Is there anyway to tell which you have from the actual can?  I couldn't find any indicator or serial number but haven't taken anything apart yet.  thanks for any advice.  

ps. I like the clarity and detail so far, not used to the bass sig. (there but not very full sounding)...coming from years with Grado HF-1's run through a Woo 6SE...

Should be stamped with 600ohms near the headphone plug

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,701 of 12,548
ha, thanks captouch!  It is indeed stamped correctly...missed that.  It's such a different sound sig. than I'm used to that it would've bothered me to not know what I was actually listening to.  I'm psyched to have some serious sessions in the next week and see if they continue to grow on me.  

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,702 of 12,548
ha, thanks captouch!  It is indeed stamped correctly...missed that.  It's such a different sound sig. than I'm used to that it would've bothered me to not know what I was actually listening to.  I'm psyched to have some serious sessions in the next week and see if they continue to grow on me.  

No problem. I got mine through Warehouse Deals too last August.

You're using WA6? Sound good through the Crack, but agree it wouldn't be called a bass heavy phone by any means. Analytical, detailed, airy, and balanced though.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,703 of 12,548

Quote:
If you ever get a chance compare a heavily burned in pair to a brand new one... either they change there sound over time or over the years the drivers Beyer produce are attuned slightly differently. As I say I've heard a 400+ hour one compared to a new one and there is a pretty big and noticeable difference. Also a fella here recently got a new driver to put in his aged 880s and it sounds unbalanced, missing bass, sibilant etc...

How old  were the aged 880's? Maybe thats that i'm hearing with my newer 880's. It's just hard to believe that there would be so much bass that is lacking in the 600 ohm vs the 32 ohm. I wonder if the newer 600 ohm drivers that Beyer is using are just very bright and sibilant.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,704 of 12,548
Quote:
How old  were the aged 880's? Maybe thats that i'm hearing with my newer 880's. It's just hard to believe that there would be so much bass that is lacking in the 600 ohm vs the 32 ohm. I wonder if the newer 600 ohm drivers that Beyer is using are just very bright and sibilant.

I am referring to my 400+ hour pair which were purchased from B&H in February 2011 so a little over a year old. A friend of mine bought a pair about a month ago also from B&H and they sound completely different when listening to them side-by-side. We compared them because he thought his pair were lacking bass, upon comparison they were not only lacking bass but sounded quite shrill. Thus burn-in is true or there are drastically different sounded Beyers based on the year purchased.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,705 of 12,548

Quote:
I am referring to my 400+ hour pair which were purchased from B&H in February 2011 so a little over a year old. A friend of mine bought a pair about a month ago also from B&H and they sound completely different when listening to them side-by-side. We compared them because he thought his pair were lacking bass, upon comparison they were not only lacking bass but sounded quite shrill. Thus burn-in is true or there are drastically different sounded Beyers based on the year purchased.

I for one, do not believe the sound of my 600 ohm DT880s changed after burn-in or long time use.
I have heard no apparent change in sound signature, they have always been rather neutral sounding.
I don't have another pair of DT880s to compare them to, though, so YMMV.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,706 of 12,548
So, I went to a "mini-meet" tonight, just a few of us guys who are into HiFi, they were all older than me, and I'm no spring chicken. Anyway, one of the guys is really into Beyerdynamics, and I've been interested in the T1s so I was looking forward to having a listen. Well, first I listened to his DT880, 600Ohm variety, and they sounded great. There was some nice sparkle, but not harsh, good fluid mids and some solid bass. I had heard DT880s before but it's been years, but it seems that I like them more now. Of course, it might have had something to do with the guy's WA5, nice little setup. Anyway, was time to listen to the T1 and umm... it was like listening to the 880s again. They seemed a bit more smooth, a bit more sparkle up top, and they were more comfortable and sturdier. But overall I can't say that they blew my socks off, the lack of difference was surprising. Anyway, I didn't insult the guy, I was polite and told him that they really were outstanding. However, I know I won't be getting the T1s now, it's the DT880s for me. They're either an amazing deal or the T1s are one of the worst buys in head-fi, IMO. Listening to them back-to-back with the same source and material was very telling. I feel like Clara in the Wendy's commercial, "where's the beef?"

Maybe I'm missed something. Or, hell, maybe my ears are messed up, who knows? :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #1,708 of 12,548
Get the Beyer DT880 Premium 600-Ohm or save a few dollars and get the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm?
A $45 price difference.
I use a Xonar Essence STX (3 LME49860NA op-amps) and a Yamaha RX-671 receiver and sometimes a $70 tube amp. (from China).
Would the Premium 600-Ohm even work with the RX-V671?
I already have DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and a DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, would the DT880 offer any feature/advantages over them?

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,709 of 12,548
I've had the 600's and the 250 ohm 880's and honestly I didn't enjoy the 600's at all. They sounded far too bright and sibilant to my ears. The 250's were much warmer and overall a more neutral can. Now I bought the 600's brand new and the 250's used here on head-fi, and I've heard a few people say that their 600's sound overly bright/sibilant and others that say they sound very natural and neutral. 

I didn't listen to the 600's and 250's side-by-side because I sold the 250's before I got the 600's, but I have heard the 32 ohm versions side by side with the 600's and I preferred the 32's much more. Maybe I had a bad pair, I'm not sure. The whole situation has kind of called beyer's quality control on their drivers into question a bit in my mind.

You should also take into consideration that my favorite headphones are the HD650's, so if you've heard those you'll know what kind of sound I prefer, nice and warm with smooth highs and lush mids, my 600ohm 880's just didn't have that at all.

I think another thing to consider is whether you have enough amp for the 600 ohm versions. The 250 ohm 880's seem to be much more receptive to a variety of amps, while the 600's need tons of voltage. So unless you have a nice OTL tube amp or something similar they'll probably be underpowered. What I most noticed when I wasn't driving my 600 ohm 880's with an OTL amp was that the soundstage becomes very narrow and they tend to get more sibilant and lose alot of bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back