The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #466 of 1,049
Amperior 
evil_smiley.gif

I meant a circumaural pair.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #467 of 1,049
Quote:
I remeber reading in this thread that people commenting 80ohms as having forward mid, and maybe my vocal sound experience is one example of it.

I also had to exchange dt250/250 twice to get a good unit. They happened around serial 68000, but like donunus says, it may be just Beyer thing.

I was the one that mentioned the 80 ohm having a more forward sound vs the 250 ohm version making the highs take more of a backseat due to the slightly more prominent lows to mids. As for the good and bad units, Besides Trance88's unit, I have also read before that the 80 ohm units had some variation with channel balance issues just like the 250ohm ones so it may actually be the cable design on these things. I don't know for sure.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #471 of 1,049
Quote:
I'm actually going to Guitar Center tomorrow and exchange my defective Beyers. I'll be trying the 8400 tomorrow while I'm there as one of my possible replacements. I'll also try the Sennheiser HD380 as well. If neither are to my liking, I'll just have GC order me a new DT250. I wish GC carried the 250 ohm version. 

I ended up getting the Shure SRH840. Not sure what you guys think of 'em, but they sound really good. They're not exactly a flat headphone, but they have a fun pleasing sound.
I tried the KRK's and they sound pretty darn good. They're very flat sounding to me. Had I not heard the SRH840 I would've went for the KRK's.
The HD380 was just blah. The highs were really shrill and peaky. I've never been a fan of Sennheiser. I was really thinking about just ordering another DT250, but I didn't want to wait another week since GC doesn't stock 'em in store. It's too bad that I can't properly appreciate the DT250 at this time. Overall, I could really tell they had the potential of being a really good sounding headphone.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #472 of 1,049
I ended up getting the Shure SRH840. Not sure what you guys think of 'em, but they sound really good. They're not exactly a flat headphone, but they have a fun pleasing sound.
I tried the KRK's and they sound pretty darn good. They're very flat sounding to me. Had I not heard the SRH840 I would've went for the KRK's.
The HD380 was just blah. The highs were really shrill and peaky. I've never been a fan of Sennheiser. I was really thinking about just ordering another DT250, but I didn't want to wait another week since GC doesn't stock 'em in store. It's too bad that I can't properly appreciate the DT250 at this time. Overall, I could really tell they had the potential of being a really good sounding headphone.

I found the shures had really good detail and sound stage but sounded dry and grainy too. Did the Beyers match them in detail and sound stage?

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #473 of 1,049
Trance88, I didn't like the shure 840 much and would you believe that the Sennheiser hd280pro is waaay better to me and is much cheaper. I wouldn't judge Sennheiser after listening to the overpriced 380 and other cheap cans they make because there are some amazing senns out there. I feel the 280pro is one of them. The hd280 pro is more like an M50 with filled in mids. The sound is more rockin yet not too forward at the same time.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #474 of 1,049
Quote:
The hd280 pro is more like an M50 with filled in mids. The sound is more rockin yet not too forward at the same time.

You've got me wanting to buy a headphone I gladly gave away 3 years ago... lol!

I don't love my 840s...

Best

James

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #475 of 1,049
Plus... the 280 may have sounded different 3 yrs ago than they do today because I keep reading impressions saying they have thin bass when the new ones I have have all the bass that I could want. More extension than the hd650 with less midbass bloat. Then about the comfort... The clamp didn't really bother me much but after a month of use, the clamp got to the point where I forgot they were on my head. Then after my sweat made the inner foams smell with excessive sweating due to the heat and humidity here in the Philippines... I washed the pads and they have become more comfy after that without impacting the sound in a negative way.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #477 of 1,049
Quote:

I also had to exchange dt250/250 twice to get a good unit. They happened around serial 68000, but like donunus says, it may be just Beyer thing.

Mine is also around serial 68000. Seem to function perfectly but it doesn't impress me as much as others. Subjectively not much better than SRH 840 or $50 Digitech Pro (FA-003 clone) for me.
Quote:
Has anyone compared the Beyers to the AKG K550's? If so, how do they compare? Which is superior in sound quality?

I own both. I would say K550 is technically superior. K550 has generated kind of a love / hate camp in these forum. Dt250/250 is an easier and safer recommendation.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #478 of 1,049
Quote:

Mine is also around serial 68000. Seem to function perfectly but it doesn't impress me as much as others. Subjectively not much better than SRH 840 or $50 Digitech Pro (FA-003 clone) for me.

I own both. I would say K550 is technically superior. K550 has generated kind of a love / hate camp in these forum. Dt250/250 is an easier and safer recommendation.

Would you say the Beyer is more engaging/fun?

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #479 of 1,049
Quote:
Would you say the Beyer is more engaging/fun?

The K550 for its much bigger soundstage and better resolution, has a thinner and cooler sound and could sound clinical sometimes.

The dt250 is not a exactly a fun sounding can for me. I found the dt150 more fun than the dt250. Do a search around these forum and you will notice a couple of other members sharing the same impression.

The 250 is more neutral and may well has better fidelity, but the 150 is the can to go to for fun.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #480 of 1,049
Quote:

The K550 for its much bigger soundstage and better resolution, has a thinner and cooler sound and could sound clinical sometimes.

The dt250 is not a exactly a fun sounding can for me. I found the dt150 more fun than the dt250. Do a search around these forum and you will notice a couple of other members sharing the same impression.

The 250 is more neutral and may well has better fidelity, but the 150 is the can to go to for fun.

Which ohm version do you have? I'm interested in the 80 ohm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back