The Beyer DT150 Experience
Feb 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Now were talkin! These are some musical sounding closed cans... Finally!!! After all those duds I have been through. To me, these dt150s are a closed headphone with big bass but doesn't overpower the mids too much. The highs are also actually pretty freakin awesome on these considering they are closed. Think sennheiser hd600/hd580 presentation but more sure footed in its presentation than airy. This is the first time Ive used some closed cans where the "closed can honkiness" didn't bother me. Well Okay, I lied. I felt that with the d5000s and the w1000s too but it was too short of an audition to tell. But then, the w1000s were already starting to sound cupped to me after 5 minutes and the bass of the d5000s also annoyed me once I scanned enough tracks with them.

About amping, I noticed that these cans need more juice than my hd580s and vary in its sound more from my nuforce udac to out of my little dot mk2( with western electric 403b driver tubes and Russian 6n6p power tubes) than my hd580 does in terms of how tight the sound becomes. I've also noticed that the foobar naive software crossfeed plugin works awesome with these cans. This crossfeed plugin is pretty good in that it is almost perfectly transparent except for some thinning of lower mids that slightly hinder my hd580s but benefit the dt150s for an even more neutral tonal balance. It fixes some of that 400hz peak someone was complaining about in another thread about these cans. Bottom line is I leave the crossfeed on since it adds an extra dimension of realism to the dt150s sound.

I am not sure how much burn in these have had from the original owner but if these cans still improve, I can only get happier. And Boy for the deal I got these cans for, I can surely say this is one of the greatest "bang for the buck" headphone purchases that Ive ever encountered.

Now I'm curious as to what the dt100 velour pads will do to the sound. It will surely be my next purchase. These cans are keepers for sure! Just as I was about to give up on looking for some decent closed cans for night time use for when my gilfriend is watching some tv... I suddenly find one that is putting a big grin on my face
biggrin.gif

DSCI1083.jpg

Burning them in...

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 114
I own DT100, DT150, DT250, DT770Pro and 2005 version and i found the DT150 to be the best.

To answer your question about the DT100 velour pads. They aren't as thick as the DT150 pads so your ear may touch the inside. The velour pads make the DT150 slightly warmer.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 114
Well I'm sure they look better in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own DT100, DT150, DT250, DT770Pro and 2005 version and i found the DT150 to be the best.

Why did you favour these over the dt250s?

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 114
In a very short comparison for DT150 and DT250 the DT150 had equal mids, high and detail but more bass and a MUCH wider soundstage.

The DT250 were my on the move headphones because they were compact until i got UE TF10.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To answer your question about the DT100 velour pads. They aren't as thick as the DT150 pads so your ear may touch the inside. The velour pads make the DT150 slightly warmer.

I noticed that when you move your head around, the seal is broken and the sound varies... Is that aspect improved with the velour pads?

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 114
Let me add that the soundstage of the dt150 is nowhere near k701s hall like soundstage but more like that of the hd580s. I like it quite a bit

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that when you move your head around, the seal is broken and the sound varies... Is that aspect improved with the velour pads?

IMO there's very minimal improvement. The movement comes from where the headphone and headband connect.

You can't really compare the soundstage of a closed headphone to an open but the DT150 do give you a slight airy feeling for a closed headphone.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 114
I had the dt990/880 2005 versions before but only heard the 600 ohm version for a very short amount of time. Of course the 880s are more refined cans but I could never get warmed up to the peak in their highs. So even though these are less refined, they are more musical to my ears than dt880s

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 114
I just found the thread where the reviewer doesn't like the sound because of a 400hz peak in the lower mids. Here it is http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...review-115925/

To me that 400hz coloration is easily fixed by placement... I noticed that if your ears are under the drivers there is an annoying 400hz peak but I don't get it when I have my ears above the driver. Then add the naive software crossfeed with foobar and were cookin'

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 114
To be exact, I like the placement with my ears almost at the top of the cups with a slight break to the seal at the bottom of the cups. When I get the best seal, the bass becomes undefined and bloated which is why I am curious about the velour pads. i am guessing that I shouldnt be worrying about the coloration from an airtight seal with those.

I have found a workaround to the closed cuppy sound while having a perfect seal. Move your ears near to the front part of the pads to get the least amount of rear pleather reflection. Its a good placement. I guess its where my ears ended up earlier but I never really analyzed it while i was enjoying the tunes.

EDIT: Nevermind my comments about placement, I accidentally switched L-R... got confused with the right side cable
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 114
Congrats on the DT150!
Yes, they are one of the best sounding closed headphones I tried.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back