Aug 9, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #46 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Me to...

Portable/Transportable:

DSCF0034.JPG

Pocket Size:

It's just the iRiver with UE5c's.

What is it? Where did you get it? Do you like it?

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #49 of 128
thank you dr.morton and thank you sidewinder. you just reminded me why i enter the world of digital audio. i wanted to make everything simple. instead of bringing tens of cds around. now i have two ipod. if i have to bring an amp(too late though i already purchased an amp) and an extra cable(too late too). why not just go back to pcdp?! and of course money is an issue too.
i think now i should go to back to step one. not source is important. MUSIC IS IMPORTANT.

i'm only speaking for my portable rig though
eggosmile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #50 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I have two definitions of portable.

There's me working out: iPod and Etys. Plain and simple, I'm more than happy.

But then there's my travel rig. I spend a lot of time on the road. I don't need to have the lightest rig, I'll only be using it in my hotel room.

I really want an amp that can work with an external power supply, the last thing I want to do is to spend money feeding batteries into my amp. That kind of rules out RSA amps.

So what are you guys' thoughts? What's the best amp that is portable and has an external DC jack? I was leaning toward the SuperMacro.

ever heard of an amp called head box ii from pro-ject? it's a very small amp.
http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...sories&lang=en
as for sound quality, i don't know. i only have two amps. one is a pa2v2 and the other one is the pro-ject.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #51 of 128
Well, I've never heard the UE10's, but my old crazy portable rig was pretty damn good. I think nikongod has it now unless he has passed it on to another head-fi'er.

Archos AV320 - AOS Flute - AKG K271 Studio

I carried the whole setup in a Headroom Traveller case with a Headroom Headcase for the headphones. Had two extra batteries in there as the Flute needed one and just in case it ran out or the Archos needed to be recharged. Had a custom coaxial cable that ran from the digital out on the Archos to the Flute made by Larry at Headphile.

To those who are unaware of the AOS Flute, it was a high quality portable DAC with a built in amp and stepped attenuator style volume control. He only made them for a little while though, so they are kind of rare now.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #52 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
ever heard of an amp called head box ii from pro-ject? it's a very small amp.
http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...sories&lang=en
as for sound quality, i don't know. i only have two amps. one is a pa2v2 and the other one is the pro-ject.

Thanks for the link. I already ordered the Portaphile V2^2 maxed out. I would have liked to get the Xin, but the budget wouldn't support. maybe an upgrade later.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #53 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Thanks for the link. I already ordered the Portaphile V2^2 maxed out. I would have liked to get the Xin, but the budget wouldn't support. maybe an upgrade later.

you sounded like i got you some expensive suggestion right? no, the amp isn't too expensive. i got it in london and it's like 60 pounds(about a hundred dollars). i know it's on sale and that friend of mine know the sale but i don't remember the amp being too expensive. if you can get it here, you don't even need to an extra power supply.

forgot, don't expect too much though, i doubt it's anywhere good but i think it's not bad

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #55 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...55279b80e8ca3b

Love it...and cheap too.

I bought one of these based on wolfen's reccomendation, and wound up buying 2 more in different configuarations/lengths for different applications. Good cables.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #56 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
you sounded like i got you some expensive suggestion right? no, the amp isn't too expensive. i got it in london and it's like 60 pounds(about a hundred dollars). i know it's on sale and that friend of mine know the sale but i don't remember the amp being too expensive. if you can get it here, you don't even need to an extra power supply.

forgot, don't expect too much though, i doubt it's anywhere good but i think it's not bad

No, it's not that, it's just that I had already ordered the Portaphile. In fact, I got an e-mail from Cesar (actually from Paypal) saying it's already shipped.

I appreciate all the recommendations and guidance I get here, believe me. And had I not already ordered I definitely would have checked out the one your recommended.

I was intent on one I could use with a power supply anyways because it's going into a transportable rig, only to be used in a hotel room while I'm traveling on business. And I wanted to avoid batteries if at all possible.

So I really meant what I said at face value, just thanks for the link!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #57 of 128
Davidmya: only change I'd make is that Silver Dragon. Moon Audio now has a NEW Silver Dragon II--bought it about one month ago, still burning it in, and it's killer. Using it with a Portaphile. Sweet combo

Aug 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #58 of 128
Maybe not the ultimate, but close:
Rockbox H120, all FLAC
SR-71
ATH-A900
MicroDAC is next
eggosmile.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #59 of 128
You guys all have okay portable systems, but they are NOTHING compared to mine. Take a gander:

Senn Orpheus, every wire replaced with solid silver and the car battery mod;
Zanden Audio Model 5000 Mk III DAC directly linked to twin 300 gig hard drives suspended in an anti-jitter magnetically-resistant liquid coolant chamber;
all interconnects from you-know-who;
custom-tailored buffalo leather harness.

Here's a link to a pic of me with the system on its portable rig
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #60 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
You guys all have okay portable systems, but they are NOTHING compared to mine. Take a gander:

Senn Orpheus, every wire replaced with solid silver and the car battery mod;
Zanden Audio Model 5000 Mk III DAC directly linked to twin 300 gig hard drives suspended in an anti-jitter magnetically-resistant liquid coolant chamber;
all interconnects from you-know-who;
custom-tailored buffalo leather harness.

Here's a link to a pic of me with the system on its portable rig
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I nominate this as the funniest post of the year....
(and so painfully TRUE.......)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back