The "Best Portable Rig Money Can Buy"
Jul 27, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #31 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex M
I tried to assemble something similar, except using Creative Zen Vision rather than Ipod. I am not able to use it though because the volume is too high for me even when Hornet is set to low gain and the volume knob is turned all the way to the left.
mad.gif
The Hornet was fine with Ety ER4P, but UE10 just seem too sensitive. Anybody knows a way around this?

Yeah, turn the volume down on the Zen. Not going to kill the sound at all.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
I also wonder about your choice of cable in the silver dragon. Did you just get it because its the most expensive thing you could find? Or did you actually listen to it and compare? I absolutely LOVE a lot of the offereings from moon-audio but the silver dragon is just awful sounding to me..

I bought it because I had a good experience with their Senn Cables... but yea, these don't sound as great as I thought they should sound... probably because the Silver Dragons better complement the Senn sounds signature...

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #35 of 128
I guess it depends on what you mean by portable....but for travelling I use:

1. RedWine modded 60gb IPOD Photo
2. Emmeline SR-71
3. UE-10

On a flight this is perfect for me although I am sure there is something better...there always is!

All the best to you.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 128
Whats so great about a redwine ipod? Is it any better than a rockboxed with EQ 5G?

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #38 of 128
I have spent a lot of time and money pursuing 'the ultimate portable setup'. At a certain point, it becomes shades of grey preferences type of thing...however...my journey led me to two set ups.

One is my more portable set up that I use at the gym, while travelling, etc = Redwine iMod 60gig iPod > Zynsonix EYS mini > Hornet > Westone ES2.

The other is a more transportable system that I use as a bedside rig at home = Redwine iMod60 gig iPod > Zynsonix EYS mini or Grover UR8 (with RCA to mini adapter) or Cardas Golden Reference RCA (with RCA to mini adapter) > Larocco PRII (with blackgate caps) > UE10pro.

The two set ups above demonstrate the sickness I have after two years on head-fi.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #39 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sijacko
I guess it depends on what you mean by portable....but for travelling I use:

1. RedWine modded 60gb IPOD Photo
2. Emmeline SR-71
3. UE-10

On a flight this is perfect for me although I am sure there is something better...there always is!

All the best to you.

I have two definitions of portable.

There's me working out: iPod and Etys. Plain and simple, I'm more than happy.

But then there's my travel rig. I spend a lot of time on the road. I don't need to have the lightest rig, I'll only be using it in my hotel room.

I really want an amp that can work with an external power supply, the last thing I want to do is to spend money feeding batteries into my amp. That kind of rules out RSA amps.

So what are you guys' thoughts? What's the best amp that is portable and has an external DC jack? I was leaning toward the SuperMacro.

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #40 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I have two definitions of portable.

There's me working out: iPod and Etys. Plain and simple, I'm more than happy.

But then there's my travel rig. I spend a lot of time on the road. I don't need to have the lightest rig, I'll only be using it in my hotel room.

I really want an amp that can work with an external power supply, the last thing I want to do is to spend money feeding batteries into my amp. That kind of rules out RSA amps.

So what are you guys' thoughts? What's the best amp that is portable and has an external DC jack? I was leaning toward the SuperMacro.

Yes go for the Supermacro 4. The only thing else you may want to consider is an used AE-1, why? because its batteries last well over a week on all the time. Amazing battery life, I prefer the sound/features of the Supermacro.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 128
The only problem I have with using IEMs is that they lack the soundstage that a full-size open-air headphone has. They may also lack the same sort of bass that the latter type of headphone has. I personally haven't tried the UE 10Pro, but my criticisms are based on the ones I have tried.

EDIT: I have tried using the HD650 outdoors and they don't actually look that big. It just leaks a bit too much, so I guess IEMs have the upper hand in most portable situations.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #43 of 128
Creative Zen Nano Plus 512MB
Shure E2C

I'm hoping to get a PA2V2 soon, but maybe before that a new source so that I can have

New Source
Grado SR-60
PA2V2

Are iPods that good of sources? Being so cliche and mass-produced, I wouldn't expect too much of them, but they are so prevalent that mods and accessories are made that much easier. Of course, I am speaking from ignorance here, so anyone care to chime in?

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #45 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
The only problem I have with using IEMs is that they lack the soundstage that a full-size open-air headphone has. They may also lack the same sort of bass that the latter type of headphone has. I personally haven't tried the UE 10Pro, but my criticisms are based on the ones I have tried.

EDIT: I have tried using the HD650 outdoors and they don't actually look that big. It just leaks a bit too much, so I guess IEMs have the upper hand in most portable situations.

Back when I had them, I used them portably too. They actually look really nice, and a lot of people liked them. Though some people gave me some odd looks as well
biggrin.gif
. I spend a lot of time in the library though, so it leaked too much sound if the volume was over 1/8 the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back