That rig is really nice but the "best rig" would be:

Creative Labs Zen Vision 30GB w/Extended Battery: $480
Nordost Heimdall iKable: $209
Rudistor NKK-01se: $1245
Sennheiser HD650 w/Closed back Headphile Woodies + SAA Equinox: $750

Total for an extremely over the top portable rig: $2684
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #17 of 128
I'm quit happy with my portable rig, although the KSC75 ($25) doesn't isolate that well, but sounds so much better compared to IEM's (I owned UM2, E2C, E5C and ER4P/S).

Of course, my Marantz CDP65II at home has a lot more definition overall when comparing it to the AZ6831 ($20) from Philips. Not really much of a surprise. The Philips does get great comments from Duncan in it's review on PCDP's through the ages. The line out gets a full 5 star rating.

The amp ($130) my dad made does a good job, no more, no less. I do prefer it over the Marantz amp. The latter one is a little too bloated for use with headphones, and it's aging as well (+20 years).

Overal cost for the rig: $175

----

I don't know how to justify the high price of HD/Flash players eg iPod, so I probably won't end up buying one. It would pay roughly 10 to 15(!) times more as when I'd use the AZ6831. And I seriously doubt the SQ of those so costly HD players are worth the purchase.

One thing I could use though, is a portable DAC. I'd like to know whether or not this is going to make a big difference in SQ.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #18 of 128
haha, thanks for all the replies... yea, it seems we have VERY different idea of what a portable rig should be. My thoughts are that a portable should be able to fit in your pocket. I can do that with mine... though the amp kinda pokes into my leg... lol.

A super-mini would definitely be a much more "comfortable" option.

Another question.. is the SR-71 really that much better than the Hornet? I've had both and can't tell the difference. I can tell the different between the portable stuff and an HR-2, but not b/n the portable amps... you guys are hearing things... lol

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 128
Well, it's like saying $30 soccershoes are worse than $200 ones. OK, you get what you pay for in most cases, so in this case if you pay $200 for soccershoes you expect nice leather, nice fit, etc. etc. all better and nicer compared to the cheaper one. But in the end, does it all make that much of a difference? I seriously doubt Ronaldhino is going to perform worse when he'd play with cheap-o shoes.

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #20 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
(people have very different ideas of a "portable" phone, I have no problem wearing my hf-1's around, and in fact, i do!)

Yeah!!! Someone else who actually wears them out. Those are perfect portable phones in my opinion less than $200, but sound like 400.
rs1smile.gif

But, I think I've got a fairly modest rig going.

5G iPod with all AAC320 (can't hear a difference now, we will see when my amp comes in, but I have everything in lossless too!)
Some Line-out that is nice (silver bling bling maybe...)
TBH '06
ER-4S or HF-1

I like it.... very practical.... one very open, the other very closed. And so far without the amp everything fits in my Taiwanese grado case...... I'm going to miss those days....
frown.gif
. Maybe I can fit my TBH.

I was afraid to get an amp, because I like not having the bulk. But, I decided since I'm now going to be commuting to school, it would help a lot. I use to bike and I guess the bulk would be an extreme disadvantage, but now, just throw it in my backpack.

I think a portable rig is whatever you feel comfortable carrying. Whenever it gets to a point that its a hassle to take out because its too big, then you know its not portable. The iPod is a very capable device if you bump $2,500 into it.

I mean iModded iPod, Bling Bling out, SR-71 or hornet, UE-10s or Futursonics or maybe HF-1s..... itd be a nice rig. A very inflexible one seeing u would always have to take an amp. Thus I might think of that as inportable.... but I guess if I just fill up my nano for running at stuff, it wouldn't matter. Of course thats another $150 to throw in the fire.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 128
Yeah, mobility.
I wanted at least a very close to perfect mobile rig as well and ended up with an iPod with Red Wine Audio mod, a Larocco PRII, an RnB mini to RCA cable and some UE 10pros (tested generic but will get my own soon). I even took some time finding a good bag for transport.
The whole thing is awesome. Unbelievable sound BUT not very easy to use.
Yesterday I went to the sea with my daughter and when I found some time I listened to some music and read a book. I took along my old Monolith Premium and my UE super.fi 5pro and honestly, although the sound did not even come close to the iPod rig, I did not miss it.
The sun did shine, the world was bright, the music nice.
Now I ask myself, if it was worth all the trouble?
Just to show it around in the portable rig thread?

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 128
Trying to get audio perfection does not give you that much reward after all eg when listening to a downgraded rig. But it's fun and exciting to get new material. But in the end, it's still just sound. I'm getting pretty tired of this hobby actually. It was great in the beginning, but I'm starting to see there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm sure a custom IEM will sound very transparent, and when combined with a PRII it will even sound more engaging than it already was. I'd like to have all of this stuff, and I'm kinda jalous at others here on Head-Fi, but there's very few people in general who even own a HQ headphone, let alone a custom one, and don't even think about a portable amp or DAC.

Sure, a UE10 + PRII + Micro DAC + 1/4" cable + iModded iPod = very near portable perfection, although at a very high pricetag. I'm sure no one would even think about think upgrading this stuff. Correct?

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #23 of 128
Jul 26, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
You weren't using one of those monster car batteries to power the HEV70 were you?

Technically, the K 1000 rig we had was a portable one!

Yes the car battery could do it but it's unweildy. There are more boxy ones and slighty smaller which is better form factor.

Yes that K1000 rig was portable but K1000s with no isolation are ridiculous portable cans.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
Trying to get audio perfection does not give you that much reward after all eg when listening to a downgraded rig. But it's fun and exciting to get new material. But in the end, it's still just sound. I'm getting pretty tired of this hobby actually. It was great in the beginning, but I'm starting to see there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm sure a custom IEM will sound very transparent, and when combined with a PRII it will even sound more engaging than it already was. I'd like to have all of this stuff, and I'm kinda jalous at others here on Head-Fi, but there's very few people in general who even own a HQ headphone, let alone a custom one, and don't even think about a portable amp or DAC.

Sure, a UE10 + PRII + Micro DAC + 1/4" cable + iModded iPod = very near portable perfection, although at a very high pricetag. I'm sure no one would even think about think upgrading this stuff. Correct?

I am kinda agreeing, i have a summer job and was thinking about all the different combinations i can spend then i realize i enjoy the music when its coming out of my crappy car speakers just as much when its coming out of my headphones, why spend the extra money. So im thinking getting a new portable rig+sr 60 then call it done for the portable rig.

Gonna spend my money on lenses for my canon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder

Now that you mention it? Who makes this PRII and Micro DAC you speak of? Also, are you talking about the Red Wine iPod mod? Just wondering, not like I'd buy it or anything...
eggosmile.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 128
You must replace that dock with a Cotton Dock from AudioLineOut.com. Then it will be among the best portable rigs.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #28 of 128
PRII is the Larocco pocket reference two, and the micro dac is the headroom micro dac (or at least I think so) which makes no sense because the ipod only has an analog out, no idea where that 1/4 " cable is coming in.

But in terms of hornet vs sr-71, yes theres a pretty significant difference. The Hornet..nicely put..just isn't worth as much as its sold for. There are many better options out there.

I also wonder about your choice of cable in the silver dragon. Did you just get it because its the most expensive thing you could find? Or did you actually listen to it and compare? I absolutely LOVE a lot of the offereings from moon-audio but the silver dragon is just awful sounding to me.

Theres a lot more to building a rig than just buying expensive components.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmiya
... is the SR-71 really that much better than the Hornet? I've had both and can't tell the difference.... lol

To me the SR71 is better than the Hornet. Of course I also think the Supermacro is better than either the SR71 or the Hornet.

So I say get the Supermacro IV and the Red Wine mod for a Gen 4 iPod.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #30 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmiya
5th Gen Ipod
Pocketdock w/hardwired Silver Dragon
RS Audio "Hornet"
UE-10 Pro

I tried to assemble something similar, except using Creative Zen Vision rather than Ipod. I am not able to use it though because the volume is too high for me even when Hornet is set to low gain and the volume knob is turned all the way to the left.
mad.gif
The Hornet was fine with Ety ER4P, but UE10 just seem too sensitive. Anybody knows a way around this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back