The Best Portable Rig For Electronic Music
May 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

DotChannel

Head-Fier
Note: Since this topic revolves around everything, I thought I would just put it in the Headphones topic.

Simply said, what is the absolute best rig for Electronic music. I have no price restrictions at this point. :D What would the best portable music player for that genre, the best amp for that genre, and the best headphones for that genre (which I think would be Audez'e LCD-2, but not sure...), and the cables for that headphone.

My limits: Portability
My price restrictions: NONE. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 22
You can check the rig stated at my signature but better with the M50's/CmoyBB combo.
It really does the trick for me..
But i am sure fellow headfiers will make better suggestions concerning your open budget..
I listen to techno/uplifting/psycedelic/full on etc...

May 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 22
I'm not sure there is a single answer to this question. Electronic is a big umbrella that covers many sub-genres and not everybody has the same taste in how it should sound.

I've always been interested in how the JH16 does with EDM. An LCD2 might not fit the portable requirement though!
tongue.gif

May 15, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
You said portable, so for me, the "best" setup means not having to carry around an amp.

Allow me not to agree with your statement..
I think that amps enhance your listening experience(as long as they are good amps and not toys).
The best setup in my opinion includes an amp if you really care about your audio quality..
If you ask any of the guys in this forum that do use amps,they will tell you that they can't go back and listen to their tunes unamped anymore...
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 22
Edition 8 or ES-10 with a good portable amp.

May 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 22
Big generalizations there, not all headphones benefit from an amp. 

Quote:
Allow me not to agree with your statement..
I think that amps enhance your listening experience(as long as they are good amps and not toys).
The best setup in my opinion includes an amp if you really care about your audio quality..
If you ask any of the guys in this forum that do use amps,they will tell you that they can't go back and listen to their tunes unamped anymore...
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Big generalizations there, not all headphones benefit from an amp. 

I will give you an example..
Have you ever tried listening to your headphones with your pc onboard card and after with a descent sound card?
Same applies to amps/dacs,it is like you have a portable sound card.
If you have done that and you like the sound of your onboard then i rest my case..

May 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Hmmm. You might have done well to look at my inventory before posting that. 
I do use a desktop amp. I also have a Fiio E7. I never carry it around, it adds absolutely nothing to the sound except for excessive volume and fills my pocket up with unnecessary weight.

As for portable setups. My personal preference is to go for optimum sound quality that can be achieved while still remaining discrete and light. That is why I just have a Sansa Clip+ and RE0s. And guess what... I probably spend more time listening to that combo than I do my 'indoors' phones. And I am quite happy with it and have no desire to upgrade whatsoever. 

Quote:

Have you ever tried listening to your headphones with your pc onboard card and after with a descent sound card?

Same applies to amps/dacs,it is like you have a portable sound card.

This isn't really true because both a sound card and a portable player convert the signal to analogue then amplify it. Getting a better sound card makes sense because it will improve the DAC and amp stage. Running the line out into an even better amp makes even more sense.
But a portable player, unless it has a line out which most do not, has already put the signal through its DAC and amp. Adding further amplification only amplifies the shortcomings of the player. Better solution (IMO) is to get more efficient phones which don't need that extra amplification so you can do without it.

May 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Hmmm. You might have done well to look at my inventory before posting that. 
I do use a desktop amp. I also have a Fiio E7. I never carry it around, it adds absolutely nothing to the sound except for excessive volume and fills my pocket up with unnecessary weight.

As for portable setups. My personal preference is to go for optimum sound quality that can be achieved while still remaining discrete and light. That is why I just have a Sansa Clip+ and RE0s. And guess what... I probably spend more time listening to that combo than I do my 'indoors' phones. And I am quite happy with it and have no desire to upgrade whatsoever. 

I am really happy for you man..
If you are satisfied with your audio then there is no need for upgrade..
But allow me to say that E7 adds more than excessive volume,at least to my headphones..
I will agree though that it is quite heavy..

May 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 22
Sony X1060 + EX1000 + ALO dock + ALO AMPs, JH16Pro + HM-801, HFI 2900 + S:Flo 2 + ALO 18AWG SXC Cable + iBasso P4, Balanced Sennheiser HD600 + iMod iPod + ALO 18AWG SXC dock + PB2.

May 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Sony X1060 + EX1000 + ALO dock + ALO AMPs, JH16Pro + HM-801, HFI 2900 + S:Flo 2 + ALO 18AWG SXC Cable + iBasso PB2.

Do you ever post anything other than a list of gear with no thoughts or opinions?
tongue.gif

Why is the gear you listed good for electronic music?  A HD600 for a portable rig, seriously? Your post is not actually helpful at all.

May 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 22
I don't consider LCD-2 to be portable, but if those are within possibilities, a lot of other high end cans are also possible. I'm not sure LCD-2's are very suited for electronic though.

As for the player; depening on the specific headphones, Hifiman HM 801, or ipod with a very good LOD cable (f.e. from ALO)
As for a possible portable amp: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back