The Best of the High Isolation IEMs
Apr 16, 2010 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
It's been maybe a month since I've asked a question like this. I was planning on buying something relatively cheap then (like a Fischer Eterna) just for airplanes because the isolation on my RE0 isn't where it should be. However, I realized that a) compared to my (now gone) E3Cs the Eterna wouldn't satisfy me either and b) there's no point in being penny wise when I now have a summer job lined up.

Realistically, while customs would be nice and eliminate some fit problems I've been having recently, I don't think I'd get them in time before June 1. Also, the price tag for customs starts about where my wallet ends, so that doesn't give me much choice. And also customs just don't isolate as well.

I'm looking right now at the Shure (SE530), Westone (UM3X), or maybe the ER4. I listen to alternative, rock, and some hip hop. I greatly enjoy the mid forward sound of my Grados, so that puts the Shures (in my mind) in first place. However, now that I've heard the highs on the RE0, I don't know if I want to go back to rolled off treble. Solid bass would be nice too (it's easier to EQ down than up on an iPod). My max might be $300, but lower is always better. Honestly, when I get into my music I don't appreciate the extra 1% of detail, so if an IEM wins in every category but that I'd consider it over a competitor.

Thanks so much for your help,
semi

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 6
Even for high end universal iems, it is really difficult to beat the RE0's highs. I'm currently using UM3x but the highs are just not as nice or smooth as the RE0s. However in all other aspects, the UM3X wins the RE0.(isolation,comfort,bass,mids,microphonics,cabl e quality)
but FWIR, the UE TF10's highs are good?
but IMHO, the bass of the TF10s are too overwhelming and it kind of drowns the mids and highs.....but thats what i've heard from 10 mins of auditioning it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Semisight, your isolation will be a strong function of the tips you choose with the three IEMs you mention here. I like the Shure olives the best for isolation. They're dense, do a good job of sealing, and don't pressurize your ear canals like some triple flanges can. They also have a nice smooth surface which, in combination with their dense material, tends to reflect rather than absorb high frequencies.

My second favorite tips for isolation are the Comply foams.

I found that while the triple flanges do a good job of sealing out external sound, they can pressurize the ear canal with well sealed IEMs such as the ER4S, producing a bit of that artificial bass dampening you get when your ears get pressurized by an elevator or plane decompressing.

Of the three IEMs you list, the UM3Xs have just the right amount of mid boost for my tastes, though not as much as the SE530s. The UM3Xs have a deeper bass extension than the other two. There are hundreds of posts comparing these, so I'll let you enjoy browsing them rather than repeating that information here.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Semisight, your isolation will be a strong function of the tips you choose with the three IEMs you mention here. I like the Shure olives the best for isolation. They're dense, do a good job of sealing, and don't pressurize your ear canals like some triple flanges can. They also have a nice smooth surface which, in combination with their dense material, tends to reflect rather than absorb high frequencies.

Oh, I know. I'm a foam man, but because the RE0s aren't as foamie friendly I've adapted to silicone tips. I've seen the measured isolation numbers and from what I've seen only Etymotic and Shure quote higher than -30dB isolation. However, that's probably due to the tips. I'm fairly certain (but not entirely, hence the thread) that I could get the same isolation by using Olives on Westones as well.

Quote:

Of the three IEMs you list, the UM3Xs have just the right amount of mid boost for my tastes, though not as much as the SE530s. The UM3Xs have a deeper bass extension than the other two. There are hundreds of posts comparing these, so I'll let you enjoy browsing them rather than repeating that information here.

I first bought the RE0 because I wanted to hear real accuracy and balance. It was nice for a while, but the RE0 with its compressed dynamics (don't say it's that lack of an amp I know IEMs can do better than this) and flat signature just doesn't get me excited about my music. Because a lot of people who like the UM3X also like the RE0 I'm worried that the UM3X will also sound too flat for me.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 6
SM3, ATH-CK100, MTP Copper, MD and FX700..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back