The best of the best...
Jul 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
We could be in a new "golden age" for headphone listening with what the first decade of the new millennium has brought to the table. I was just wondering what people think might be the very best that current headphone technology has to offer regardless of price.

Here's my suggestions…

Portable/Travel:

JH Audio JH-16/JH-3A
Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo
iDevice

(Around $3K)

Personally I've never heard a JH custom/JH-3A or a CLAS, but from everything I've read this package is markedly better than my super iMod with the oversize Vcap dock and Headstage Arrow V3 feeding my Edition 8, which I find to be an absolutely superlative setup.

As an alternate for folks like myself that don't like customs I would nominate the iDevice>CLAS feeding an Ray Samuels HR-2>Edition 8.

As for universal IEMs the JVC Fx700 is the best that I've heard and I nominate it as a more portable setup than the Edition 8 system above, but there's a lot less consensus in the high-end universal market therefore the least amount of agreement so I would expect the most variation here.

As far as a more portable setup goes, we would drop the CLAS and/or the amplifier, but there would be even less consensus so I'm not going to go there.

Travel/Transportable:

RWA/ALO "Audeze Edition"
DAC/Amplifier/Headphone Package

($5K)

I have the LCD-2 and a great balanced amp and love it but I can't take it on the road. With this setup I could listen on a mountaintop if I was willing to carry it up there lol. With the LCD-2's rev.2 drivers the ante has been upped on an already incredible off the grid full-size headphone system.

At Home:

Stax SR-009
Headamp Blue Hawaii or
Woo Audio WES

($10K)

Not sure if there's a consensus on these two amps with the SR-009 but if you have a uber DAC/CDP or high-end turntable this will reportedly bring out the very best in it. Again I haven't heard it but am going by what I have read.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 21
"Transportable" seems like a silly subsection... surely no one actually uses any of Vinny's gear on treks, regardless of the battery.  Heck, by that definition, one could consider the best transportable to be a BHSE/009 with a suitcase full of car batteries :p 

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 21
I broadened the first two categories for semantics sake if nothing else. Perhaps this is a silly idea for a thread, but look what is possible for less than $20K, the best of every world.

The "transportable" package does include a custom carrying case for everything including the LCD-2, I'm not sure but I think it's a waterproof Pelican type of case. Also the LFP battery system has a DC output jack for powering portable sources. The Isabellina Pro section would make a great DAC for the Stax amp also. I understand that it may not be for you however.

If you'd like to make an additive rather than subtractive suggestion all of the categories are optional so you don't have to concern yourself with that one
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 21
well, for portable, the consensus from those who heard the canjam demo and/or own the system seems to suggest that the JH-3A is the big dog daddy.  I can say that I prefer the direct output of the Clip+ to the ibasso d10, rsa protector, and hifiman 801 - with my JH-13s, of course :D

at home, I'd certainly agree on something based around the BHSE/DIYT2 + Stax of some kind.  I'm itching to try the SR-009, and fortune has granted my the experience of hearing the SR-007 when powered by the bhse (heavenly).  Certainly kicks the ass out of any HE90 based system! 

Quote:
I broadened the first two categories for semantics sake if nothing else. Perhaps this is a silly idea for a thread, but look what is possible for less than $20K, the best of every world.

The "transportable" package does include a custom carrying case for everything including the LCD-2, I'm not sure but I think it's a waterproof Pelican type of case. Also the LFP battery system has a DC output jack for powering portable sources. The Isabellina Pro section would make a great DAC for the Stax amp also. I understand that it may not be for you however.

If you'd like to make an additive rather than subtractive suggestion all of the categories are optional so you don't have to concern yourself with that one
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 21
That Red Wine amplifier system would be the most awesome audio gear I could imagine for a motorhome, travel trailer or boat.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 21
I'd pick mostly custom/DIY gear. You can take it to further extremes than anything commercially made. No commercial amp offers tubed regulation, but you can build it yourself.

I'd also add dynamic headphones to the mix. The HD-800, T1 and LCD2 (though planar) are awfully good. So are discontinued models like the K-1000 and R10. *puts on Nomex suit* I think electrostats are better as speakers than headphones. Sure, Stax and Sennheiser have great ones, but I'm happier with Quads.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 21
The LCD-2 is in the "middle" system, which is stiller a killer "home" rig. I agree that the K1000 and HD800 are top notch and I'm sure the T1 and R10 are right up there as well. The bass-heavy R10 in particular seems to have taken on an almost mythological status.

And there are so many great amps for dynamic headphones, both DIY and manufactured, like the Beta 22, Liquid Fire, Pinnacle etc. It would be quite a "dynamic" discussion but the 009 seems to be on the top of the current heap so I went with that.

It's not really a contest anyways, I am just trying to get some different viewpoints so thanks for sharing yours
smile.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 21
Why have we not mentioned DACs?  Assuming there is sufficient power in an amp for a headphone, the DAC makes a bigger difference.  To me the best of the best might just be a Weiss DAC202 > a high end SS amp that competes directly with the BHSE > SR-009.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Why have we not mentioned DACs?  Assuming there is sufficient power in an amp for a headphone, the DAC makes a bigger difference.  To me the best of the best might just be a Weiss DAC202 > a high end SS amp that competes directly with the BHSE > SR-009.

Well two of the three systems mentioned include DACs that could be used on the third system, but I see your point 
smile.gif

The Weiss DAC202 looks pretty good, I'm liking that firewire option. Does it need dedicated software drivers?

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:

Well two of the three systems mentioned include DACs that could be used on the third system, but I see your point 
smile.gif

The Weiss DAC202 looks pretty good, I'm liking that firewire option. Does it need dedicated software drivers?

I have no idea about it's drivers.  All I know is my DAC has the same chip and I love the sound.  My close friend had a couple DAC202s, but only one now so I could ask him if you are really interested.  It really does seem like the best possible DAC you can buy.  IMO, I rather spend 7k on a DAC over an amp.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 21
I received my Isabellina back from Vinnie today. I had him do the pro-dac upgrade. So far I really am loving the new 24/192 dac very detailed with HD tracks. I decided to not go balanced so I could be more flexible with my headphone use. Overall the best sound I have ever heard when using my LCD-2's. And thats including the JH3A that I heard at CanJam.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 21

After nearly 5 years of involvement with Head-Fi, owning or hearing extensively most of the top-tier equipment, and building perhaps two dozen headphone amps, I'm finally beginning to get an idea of where I'd like to be.

Headphones would be the original Stax Omega's, not the 02's. Love the huge spacious feeling of those gigantic drivers!

Amplifier would be an over the top DIY creation using all DHT's, maybe something made by Eimac. All direct coupling except possibly the output. Each stage would have it's own seperate power supply with Mercury recifiers, choke input filters, PCB capacitors, and full tube based shunt regulation. Whole thing could probably be built on less than 10 chassis, weigh less than 1,000lbs, and occupy only one wall of the living room!

Dac would be a level 4 Audio Note kit. No oversampling, no filtering, transformer I/V. Tube regulated power supply suppling a pair of 5687's driving a pair of double C core output transformers. Most analog sounding digital I've ever heard.

Eventually I'll move to a computer based source, but I don't think any of them are quite there yet. And I still can't see giving up analog.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I have no idea about it's drivers.  All I know is my DAC has the same chip and I love the sound.  My close friend had a couple DAC202s, but only one now so I could ask him if you are really interested.  It really does seem like the best possible DAC you can buy.  IMO, I rather spend 7k on a DAC over an amp.

I was looking at the Weiss DAC2 recently that has a similar back panel with firewire and that one required drivers for both PC and Mac. But it looks like the 202 is "Plug and play with Windows and Mac". I would hope so for an extra $3,500 (I'm sure there's other differences), but no matter because I don't see a DAC of that caliber in my near future anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back