THE BEST IEM'S FOR HEAVY METAL/HEAVY MUSIC??? LET'S DISCUSS...
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

IEMagnet01

Aka: IEMagnet, LeonardForbush, LanceP11, meekfella, BuddyGuy1, FredSavage, KillboyPowerhed, notthatguy.
As a life long afficionado of heavy metal and hard rock, I've listened to heavy music though literally hundreds of headphones and IEM's in my lifetime. Most recently I've settled in on JVC HA-FXT90's and Philips SHE3580's as my go to heavy metal IEM's. I still haven't received my recently ordered TDK IE800's, so they could easily vault to the top of the list, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my Klipsch Reference S4's as a definite favorite as well (these have a more refined sound signature than the horrid regular S4). But for now, the JVC's and Philips are such great IEM's that present crunchy guitars, fast resolving bass drums, and fun cymbal crashes and extended treble. All of these are needed to get a fun, detailed heavy sound. Let's not mention really smooth mids to present voices from gutteral to soaring falsettos. So what IEM's or OEM's do you recommed for heavy metal or hard rock? I'm listening....

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 35
I'm hoping the TDK IE800 really jumps to the top of the heap, but I don't get to listen to those until Monday. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 35
Yamaha EPH-100 are also good. Smoother and less aggressive than the JVC, but more subbass and a more 3D sound to them. And a great budget phone (worth far more in my opinion) is the Astrotec AM800.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 35
I've heard a lot of great things about the Yamaha EPH-100 for metal. I'm really hoping they go down to sub $100.00 so I can take the plunge?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 35
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 35
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 35
I'm finding that my Comply olive tips on my UE 700's are making for a really nice metal listen. I'm just not a big fan of balanced armature drivers. The bass tends to distort or crackle at higher volumes. Had this issue with my FA DBA02's, Sony XBA-1's and to a lesser extent my UE TF10's and UE 7's. Just not enough reliable bass. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 35
I have the Eph 100, and they do sound pretty decent. From what you've described, the bass from the Eph is superb, though the treble might lack the extension up there slightly. Sparkle is there, though slightly veiled.

Another set I've been listening to more of lately is the Nocs NS 600 Crush. Dual dynamic drivers. The signature is more V shaped for sure, though the mids seem present well enough. Very strong bass from these, sub bass and mid bass seem tuned equally. The treble on the NS 600 is crisp, forward. There were hints of sibilance out of the box, but after several days of burn in the highs have calmed a little. Soundstage is above average, decent imaging. This set might be a bit more around $150 USD, though for me the strong sound signature, especially with metal, was worth it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 35
I have the Eph 100, and they do sound pretty decent. From what you've described, the bass from the Eph is superb, though the treble might lack the extension up there slightly. Sparkle is there, though slightly veiled.

Another set I've been listening to more of lately is the Nocs NS 600 Crush. Dual dynamic drivers. The signature is more V shaped for sure, though the mids seem present well enough. Very strong bass from these, sub bass and mid bass seem tuned equally. The treble on the NS 600 is crisp, forward. There were hints of sibilance out of the box, but after several days of burn in the highs have calmed a little. Soundstage is above average, decent imaging. This set might be a bit more around $150 USD, though for me the strong sound signature, especially with metal, was worth it.

I've been a dual dynamic freak lately. I've sold a large selection of my IEM's to purchase the TDK IE800 and reacquire the JVC HAFXT90. I've also been eyeballing the MEE M-Duo, so you piqued my interest at dual dynamic. I've been wondering about Nocs, so I'm gonna check these out. I've also been looking into these dual dynamic/balanced armature Scorsch 856 M. Thanks for the heads up. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 35
what about the Westone UM2??

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 35
  Earsonics SM64 for the win!

Triple driver IEM. Highly rated too. Unfortunately no longer available. i believe discontinued? I bet this things soar though with the triple drivers on classic metal or progressive metal tracks?

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 35
Triple driver IEM. Highly rated too. Unfortunately no longer available. i believe discontinued? I bet this things soar though with the triple drivers on classic metal or progressive metal tracks?

Discontinued? Not at all.
I think Soundearphones still has some and you can always buy them directly from Earsonics.
And yes, Prog Metal really does sound great with these little gems :)
But so does pretty much every other kind of Metal. They really have the bass for stuff like sludge or drone and a great soundstage for anything like Post, Atmospheric etc
Oh and these slightly forward mids are just perfect for everything that involves electric guitars :wink:

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 35

Earphonesolutions.com have them in stock as well fwiw.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 35
I'm currently giving the TDK IE800's a workout, seeing as I just received them today. So far these are as smooth as a baby's bottom, with goobs of detail and just the right amount of bass. I'll review further as time passes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back