The best headphones in terms of dynamics
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Which headphones give you the best dynamics?
It's the most critical problem to me when listening to classical music, I need dynamics. So far my favourites are K701. They give much greater dynamic amplitudes compared to LCD-2.2, SR-007mk2, Lambda Pro, HD-800 and my other former headphones. K701 have their faults, I use them only for classics and I'm curious if anyone else has compared headphones in terms of dynamics.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 70
Funny, I always thought that STAX is the headphone what AKG wants to be. But you find that AKG 701 is way better for classical music than stax 202 because of dynamics. So, obviously the answer: is no answer. Only you can find which headphone suits most to you. By the way: stax (according to me).

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 70
"Better" for classics is different for each person. Some want more detail and texture, others soundtage and clarity, I need dynamics over detail, texture and soundtage. My staxes have way better detail, texture and clarity but they are just flat regarding to dynamics. HD800 have better soundstage than all other headphones I've listened to but they are also more calm and unemotional next to K701.
What I don't like in K701 is the lack of clarity, instrument separation and speed compared to HD800, the orthos and electrostatics I own.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 70
  "Better" for classics is different for each person. Some want more detail and texture, others soundtage and clarity, I need dynamics over detail, texture and soundtage. My staxes have way better detail, texture and clarity but they are just flat regarding to dynamics. HD800 have better soundstage than all other headphones I've listened to but they are also more calm and unemotional next to K701.
What I don't like in K701 is the lack of clarity, instrument separation and speed compared to HD800, the orthos and electrostatics I own.

damnn, you must be balling status to have HD800 + orthos + electrostatics... and kinda weird to prefer the lowly sub-$300 K701 over those.

I heard that planar magnetic inherently have the best dynamics d/t their design... you didn't find that to be the case? mind me asking what headphones you are comparing the K701 to?

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 70

I heard that planar magnetic inherently have the best dynamics d/t their design... you didn't find that to be the case? mind me asking what headphones you are comparing the K701 to?

I'm comparing to LCD-2rev.2 (I've had 2 pairs, very differend sound BTW :) ), Stax O2mk2 and Lambda Pro (with KGSS), HD-800. The amp is Violectric V200, more than enough power for each of them
I've listened to some other orthos (HE-5 and briefly HE-400, HE-500 and HE-6), none had impressive dynamics.
I do not prefer K701 over the other headphones. In my previous post I name their sonic problems. What I'm trying to find is headphones with better clarity, instrument separation and the same dynamics.
Maybe K812? :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 70
  I'm comparing to LCD-2rev.2 (I've had 2 pairs, very differend sound BTW :) ), Stax O2mk2 and Lambda Pro (with KGSS), HD-800. The amp is Violectric V200, more than enough power for each of them
I've listened to some other orthos (HE-5 and briefly HE-400, HE-500 and HE-6), none had impressive dynamics.
I do not prefer K701 over the other headphones. In my previous post I name their sonic problems. What I'm trying to find is headphones with better clarity, instrument separation and the same dynamics.
Maybe K812? :)

eek.gif
 mind-blown by the amount of $$$ invested in those headphones. i wish i had that kinda dough. I would get the TH900 + project ember & spend the rest of my money on beer 
tongue.gif

I've never tried any of those super-high-end headphones, but I would recommend ...in my super professional opinion & from highllyyyy rated superrrr-pro-audiophilee sources :wink: ...to jump to the LCD-3!!! 
biggrin.gif

The LCD-3's dynamic punch is simply the best I've heard, bass definition and power are phenomenal, stereo imaging is remarkably open and spacious. No dynamic headphone at any price comes close to the LCD-3's sound. Some audiophiles think the Stax SR-009 ($5,250) is the best sounding headphone on the market; I don't agree. Yes, it's even more transparent and clear, but the SR-009 lacks the LCD-3's power, dynamics, natural midrange, and potent bass.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57437164-47/the-best-headphones-in-the-world/

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 70
Regardless of the lighter diphragm I seriously doubt LCD-3 has much different dynamics than the other audezes. I've listened to couple of LCD-3s at Munich High-End Show but haven't opportunity to choose my music, not impressed though...

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 70
Funny, when I used to own the K701 the major fault was exactly the lack of dynamics, ie: the ability to render properly the difference between a pianissimo and a fortissimo.
That's why I found them very good with chamber music, but they were totally flat with orchestral music. To each his own...

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 70
Just because its bass is very well controlled and has a good amount of slam when called for.  No other headphone really gives as much of a dynamic and controlled bass as the Audeze.

HD800 is real nice for showcasing subtle differences in dynamics within an instrument's sound, but then again so are the LCDs.

If you didn't find the HD800 or LCD2 more dynamic then I don't really know what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back