THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jun 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #1,426 of 5,014
Cassandra Wilson

Carmen Gomes

Dianne Reeves

and they are all alive and kickin'

SSS1%20Milan%20200.png

sound liaison album from Carmen Gomes

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,427 of 5,014
Cecile McLorin Salvant. Probably the most stunning voice I've heard in years. She's only 23. 

Another favorite is Kate Miller Heidke. She is the best voice in pop music and America has no idea who she is. She's a classically trained opera singer that left the opera to make more modern music. Incredible voice. Great song writer. She also plays instruments which is something most pop stars have never heard of. I could post 20 of her songs. Just go check her out.

Her song Words. Just wait for it...

And a great sense of humor (her first two albums actually have a lot of very clever humor in them)

Another hilarious song

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,428 of 5,014
Quote:
Cecile McLorin Salvant. Probably the most stunning voice I've heard in years. She's only 23. 

Another favorite is Kate Miller Heidke. She is the best voice in pop music and America has no idea who she is. She's a classically trained opera singer that left the opera to make more modern music. Incredible voice. Great song writer. She also plays instruments which is something most pop stars have never heard of. I could post 20 of her songs. Just go check her out.

Her song Words. Just wait for it...

And a great sense of humor (her first two albums actually have a lot of very clever humor in them)

Another hilarious song

If you like that, youre going to love this.

Emma Shapplin

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,430 of 5,014
Quote:

Awesome! I just went and picked up a copy of her WomanChild album off the strength of this post, so thanks for that 
smily_headphones1.gif

What a voice!

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,431 of 5,014
I did a search of the thread and was very suprised not to find Yukimi Nagano, lead singer of Little Dragon here

She has a uniquely fantastic voice that I can't get enough of  
biggrin.gif

and amazingly no mention of one of my other current favourite voices, Claire Boucher aka Grimes. hauntingly beautiful voice

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,432 of 5,014
Quote:
I did a search of the thread and was very suprised not to find Yukimi Nagano, lead singer of Little Dragon here

She has a uniquely fantastic voice that I can't get enough of  
biggrin.gif

Agree whole-heartedly.  I have all of their studio albums.  It was the song "Twice" that first captivated me.  Just something about her voice ......

Quote:
and amazingly no mention of one of my other current favourite voices, Claire Boucher aka Grimes. hauntingly beautiful voice

And thanks for those videos.  At Bandcamp now listening to her earlier albums - and probably likely to buy all 3 studio albums :)

Woah - just listened to first album (Geidi Primes) - terrible recording quality (a lot of distortion .... maybe it's intentional) - hope the other ones are better!

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,434 of 5,014
Quote:

And thanks for those videos.  At Bandcamp now listening to her earlier albums - and probably likely to buy all 3 studio albums :)

Woah - just listened to first album (Geidi Primes) - terrible recording quality (a lot of distortion .... maybe it's intentional) - hope the other ones are better!

Yeah, as far as I know that is why Geidi primes is only available as a free download.

The other ones are awesome :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #1,435 of 5,014
No Dolly Parton tracks offered yet in this thread, as far as I can see, using the 'search' function, so here goes:

I always used to write Dolly off as cheesy old country, but I have come to appreciate that she is a talented songwriter and, on occasion, a surprisingly talented vocalist, too. One of her more famous song writing efforts (which Whitney Houston nauseatingly covered, IMO) is this:

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,436 of 5,014
Joni Mitchell
Ella Fitzgerald
Kay Starr
Dinah Washington
Mama Cass Elliott
Dolly Parton

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,437 of 5,014
Quote:
Lianne La Havas:

Thanks for this.  Really enjoying her debut album!

I know it's been posted before - but had you caught up with Beth Orton?  Her album Sugaring Season is excellent.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,439 of 5,014
sorry!
My mistake!
I forgot.Too much on my mind lately,(Alztheimer light?!)

How about this one,Billie Holiday the very last recording.
Lester Young and Billie died shortly after this film was made.
The love and respect these two giants had for each other is very evident here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back