THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #4,906 of 5,018
About the spoiler: I have thought about attempting this. I planned on testing perception by telling people to listen to a piece and getting them to recite the instruments they had heard. Then, I would tell them one instrument that they missed (if they missed any that I know of), and they would listen to it again, with the instrument now not only present but also louder. Of course, this is all untested and just a shower thought.

This is not just a shower thought. That’s very real. I watched a ted:Talk about this phenomenon some time ago and they used a video with something extremely crazy/unrelated happening in the background and tested if people noticed it. The majority did not (myself included), which, after you know what happened, is kind of astonishing..

Anyways, you bet I used a lossless version, turned it up a few dB, closed my eyes, and listened to it twice on different transducer types (speakers and earbuds). I kept mental notes about the instruments in the background and, more importantly, the vocals since that was what I assumed the topic would be about. Perhaps you were going to note the centralized singer and the surrounding two vocal points, which are supposed to mimic an echo of the original source. I made a mental note saying that the vocalist purposely strained her vocals around 4:38, but I didn't know she started crying. That is interesting.

Awesome, seems like I tested this on the perfect candidate. And now I know that it is really not that noticeable.. Frankly, I did not notice it too, I read that as a comment on another yt-version of the same song. But damn, now I sometimes cry at the end too 🥲😅

BTW: is Japanese your native language?

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #4,907 of 5,018
Awesome, seems like I tested this on the perfect candidate. And now I know that it is really not that noticeable.. Frankly, I did not notice it too, I read that as a comment on another yt-version of the same song. But damn, now I sometimes cry at the end too 🥲😅

BTW: is Japanese your native language?
YouTube commenters do indeed give some context or their own analysis of the music. They are also nice to read while you have music playing in the background. I've learned a bit more about the context from these people. If it's a sound track, one example can be someone listing where it was played in the media.

No, English is my native language. I have enjoyed this discussion, but let's not derail the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back