THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
May 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,072 of 5,018
I've been thru most of this thread and done a search but haven't found another of my favorite female artists. My wife and I were goofing off up at Utah State University a few years ago and literally stumbled across a concert that was going on. The artist was Janiva Magness and since I love the blues we thought it was worth a listen. SOOOO glad we did. A wonderful artist and performer (award winning) that we'd never heard of. She put on an amazing show for (sadly) a very small audience that showed up. Ended up buying two of her CD's during intermission and talked to her for a bit. What an amazing lady who beat the odds and found success despite a tough childhood. Hope you like her.

May 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,074 of 5,018
^Janiva Magness is fantastic. Thanks for posting!

- BB

May 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,076 of 5,018
New album from the Swedish sisters out on June 10th, cant wait
bigsmile_face.gif

May 29, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,078 of 5,018
  No love for adele?

She's been mentioned numerous times in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=adele&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=522812&advanced=1

May 31, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,079 of 5,018
Jun 1, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,080 of 5,018

She's been mentioned numerous times in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=adele&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=522812&advanced=1

I would think so.  Is it just me or her recordings suck.  The recordings do not do justice to her vocal ability like Eva Cassidy's recordings.  Although, I did think her live performance on BlueRay had the best audio quality.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,081 of 5,018
I 'like' Adelle, up to a point.

I think she has talent, but I dislike her contrived vocal style where she continually strangulates words so they sound nothing like the word(s) should actually sound.

I feel exactly the same way about Amy Winehouse;   talented, but willfully-murdered the phonetics of words, in the pursuit of 'vocal style'.

Such a waste, in both cases (and I'm an Engishman, by the way, so it's not a matter of cultural differences, given that both these singers hail from the UK)

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,082 of 5,018
I agree, i had always dismissed Adele as just another main stream artist, and never really cared for her music until i stumbled across the recordings from the Royal Albert Hall. There is something magical about that performance.

Also feel the same about Amy Winehouse, another amazing talent, just not the right genre/style for me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #2,083 of 5,018
  I 'like' Adelle, up to a point.

I think she has talent, but I dislike her contrived vocal style where she continually strangulates words so they sound nothing like the word(s) should actually sound.

I feel exactly the same way about Amy Winehouse;   talented, but willfully-murdered the phonetics of words, in the pursuit of 'vocal style'.

Such a waste, in both cases (and I'm an Engishman, by the way, so it's not a matter of cultural differences, given that both these singers hail from the UK)

biggrin.gif
  She's from the UK, and I'm sure her pronounciation of words has been hevily influenced by what part of UK she is from, and the economic class of her upbringing.  I personaly don't mind it as it just add interesting character to the way she sings.  

Adelle's live performance on blue Ray has to be heard on a loud speaker setup, it's something else.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,085 of 5,018
Sara K, Joni Mitchell, Jacintha, Jheena Lodwick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back