THE BEST batteries?
Jul 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Check these beasts out!!!

Li-ion/Li-Po/LiFe/PCM - Li-Ion Cylindrical Rechargeable Batteries

Christ...a 2600mAh AA battery. Could just be the ticket to over 5 hours on my baby Stax!!!

People are reporting average of 5 hours on 1800mAh AA batteries (900 a battery). There are SINGLE AA batteries with 2600mAh! yeah, they're almost $10 a piece, but rechargeable, protected, and MUCH MUCH longer lasting.

Placing my order as we speak!

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 18
DOH! Just realized they were 3.7 volts (typical AA is 1.5v)...can't use those....crap...back to searching...

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 18
Jul 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 18
I was trying to stay with lithium for the obvious advantages and 1.5 volts. I was trying to find a high capacity RECHARGEABLE lithium.... But looks like I'm pretty limited to NiMH when at capacities over 2500mAh...suck.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to stay with lithium for the obvious advantages and 1.5 volts. I was trying to find a high capacity RECHARGEABLE lithium.... But looks like I'm pretty limited to NiMH when at capacities over 2500mAh...suck.

You do know that lithium chargers are necessarily more complex than NiMH chargers - elsewise the lithium cells may just decide to burst into flames and/or explode.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Yeah, I was going to purchase the appropriate charger, but the inherent bennies of Lithium over Ni-Cad are what attracted me to that page....may lack of paying attention to them being 3.7 volts sucks.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 18
VARTA batteries are great. I've been using them for years in my devices--my photo-nerd friends turned me on to them.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 18
I just bought a bunch of Sanyo eneloop AA rechargeables for my headphone amp. They are amazing! I'm getting three times the run time I got out of ordinary alkalines. The envloop batteries are the new hybrid variety. I love them! And I always hated rechargeables!

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

DOH! Just realized they were 3.7 volts (typical AA is 1.5v)...can't use those....crap...back to searching...

actually ONE of those batteries works just fine in the stax portable, and
does last quite a while. You have to jumper across the other battery.
Or rewire the thing and put 2 of them wired in parallel.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 18
*edit* n/m...stupid question. Maybe the more appropriate question should be "without soldering a wire (i.e. an easily reversible method to take in and out at will), how do I make a jumper?"

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 18
How to jumper would be like this

your batteries go in like this

+AA1-
-AA2+

So you put a lion cell in AA1

In series stuff is like this +-+- so likely AA1- and AA2+ are connected, so connect AA2+ to AA2- to complete the circuit thus AA1's negative lead is connected to AA2's negative lead, or vise versa and AA1's positive lead is connected to AA2's positive lead. More or less put a battery in one slot and connect the + and - terminals of the other.

To wire it in parallel would be harder, you would have to find a way to connect both positives together and put it to the positive lead and both negatives together and connect that to the negative lead. would require a little modding of the battery holder, but could be done, you would just have to connect both + and - together with wires.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How to jumper would be like this

your batteries go in like this

+AA1-
-AA2+

So you put a lion cell in AA1

In series stuff is like this +-+- so likely AA1- and AA2+ are connected, so connect AA2+ to AA2- to complete the circuit thus AA1's negative lead is connected to AA2's negative lead, or vise versa and AA1's positive lead is connected to AA2's positive lead. More or less put a battery in one slot and connect the + and - terminals of the other.

To wire it in parallel would be harder, you would have to find a way to connect both positives together and put it to the positive lead and both negatives together and connect that to the negative lead. would require a little modding of the battery holder, but could be done, you would just have to connect both + and - together with wires.

I knew that, but I was wondering if there was something I could just put in there that could be taken in and out REALLY easily, but stay put when the cover is on.

I guess I could get a metal band or rod the length of a battery and put it in the battery B slot, that also touches battery a's lead. Hmm, they don't make a device like this like they do RCA jumpers?

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually ONE of those batteries works just fine in the stax portable, and
does last quite a while. You have to jumper across the other battery.
Or rewire the thing and put 2 of them wired in parallel.

Wondering why I never thought of this before, and also considering picking one up sometime in the future with this revelation. The low, low battery life had scared me off in the past. =p

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a bunch of Sanyo eneloop AA rechargeables for my headphone amp. They are amazing! I'm getting three times the run time I got out of ordinary alkalines. The envloop batteries are the new hybrid variety. I love them! And I always hated rechargeables!

They're just low self-discharge NiMH batteries, been around for a few years, but yeah, they're nice especially if you're using them in something that sits and doesn't get used a lot.

The marketing blahblah that Sanyo throws on their version is pretty amusing though, trying to make the consumer think they're radically different than any other nickel metal-hydride battery. The AAs are only rated for 2000mAh, which is okay but not great, though because they bleed out less juice uselessly they will seem to last longer with devices used periodically rather than constantly.

They'll even charge safely and normally in any old NiMH compatible charger.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I knew that, but I was wondering if there was something I could just put in there that could be taken in and out REALLY easily, but stay put when the cover is on.

I guess I could get a metal band or rod the length of a battery and put it in the battery B slot, that also touches battery a's lead. Hmm, they don't make a device like this like they do RCA jumpers?

Could you potentially get a small metal rod and pin it between the AA + location and the spring of the negative terminal (something thick enough with low enough resistance that the negative terminal would put pressure on it?

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #15 of 18
I have almost a 1:1 ratio of Li-Ion batteries to NiMH now. I only buy Sanyo Eneloops for NiMH. I've had far too many higher capacity standard NiMH batts die very quickly on me. And their fast self discharge was just annoying.

I have a lot of flashlights, so I have a lot of protected CR123 rechargeables as well. I like rechargeable lithiums because they can pack more voltage in a smaller form factor and are much lighter in weight.

I'm a little paranoid about the "poof" factor with lithium, so I have spent a little more cash on decent charging systems. Also for my NiMH batteries too. Makes them last much longer.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back