Made By – Disctronics B
Licensed To – Alpine Electronics
Phonographic Copyright (p) – Devine Music
Published By – Devine Music
Recorded At – Devine Recording Studios
Mixed At – Devine Recording Studios
Copyright (c) – Alpine Electronics Of Australia Pty Limited

Credits
Arranged By, Keyboards – Michael Barolomei (tracks: 6)
Artwork By [Realist Cover Art] – Scott McDougall
Bass – Clive Harrison
Composed By – Peter Northcote (tracks: 3)
Composed By, Guitar – Kirk Lorange (tracks: 4)
Concept By [Original], Technician [Technical Direction] – Paul M. Graham
Design, Art Direction – Greg Devine
Engineer – Bob Disckson
Guitar – Peter Northcote
Lyrics By [Intro] – Roy McCourt
Mastered By – Leon Zervos
Other [Test Tones Generated By] – David Macquarie, Louis Challis
Producer, Composed By – Brian Beamish (tracks: 11)
Programmed By – Clive Harrison (2) (tracks: 1 to 10, 12 to19)
Programmed By [Assistance] – Colin Timms (3) (tracks: 11)
Saxophone [Sax] – Andrew Oh, Graham Jessie*
Vocals – Adrian Payne, Chris Loyds, Doug Williams, Erana Leef, Jacky Jensen, Jeff Duff, Pauline Timms
Written-By, Arranged By, Producer – Clive Harrison (2), Greg Devine

Barcode and Other Identifiers
Matrix / Runout: MADE BY DISCTRONICS B ✳✳ #01
Other (Spars Code): DDD

Awesome CD.

Used to have this CD for my car audio days, don't have it anymore :slight_frown::slight_frown:

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #348 of 482
@loungecat that's exactly right. I just still happen to have it from back in the day of car audio. Every track is VERY well recorded and mastered with amazing details.

Do either of you have this in Flac format?

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #349 of 482
Hi, first post here.  Not all of these may be audiophile, but I find them to be quite revealing.

Herbie Hancock, The Piano. This is just Herbie and a piano on what was a direct to disc recording.  I've only have the CD version made from the backup masters, but it is astounding.  (Even if I had the LP I use digital to evaluate anything after a source component, simply as vinyl playback can greatly vary). 

Son House, Original Delta Blues.  The album is just Son House, his resonator guitar and occasionally hand claps. I particularly like using the two tracks where it's only his voice with hand claps.  

Maria Schneider Orchestra, the Thompson Fields.  This is a tremendous album with brilliant orchestration and striking timbres.  

Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane, At Carnegie Hall.  I've listened to both Monk and 'Trane on a lot of systems.

Rush, 2112 or Moving Pictures.  Need a little dynamic 70s rock.

Alternatives are ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, Joe Pass's Virtuoso (solo guitar), any of Coltrane's classic quartet albums.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #351 of 482
:beerchug:

This is so often forgotten these days. Signal chain is king, and speakers/headphones are near the end of that chain.

Of course speakers/cans affect quality but not in the same pure way as things being improved up the chain.

Gotta keep it basic in this post-fact world.

That's not true and you know it. Today any mp3 player with a 128kbps or higher file could sound amazing with some good earphones or speakers. A high res file with a totl music player would sound like **** on cheap speakers

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #352 of 482
IDK I have to agree with Bookman on this. I have mediocre headphones and the difference between
mp3 and 16/44 was very noticeable to me. Extension on both ends of the spectrum and improved clarity throughout. I guess this is an old argument that could go on forever.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #353 of 482
IDK I have to agree with Bookman on this. I have mediocre headphones and the difference between
mp3 and 16/44 was very noticeable to me. Extension on both ends of the spectrum and improved clarity throughout. I guess this is an old argument that could go on forever.

Interesting, I'd like to see your results http://mp3ornot.com/

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #354 of 482
I myself can highly recommend Dead Can Dance's latest album - Anastasis. Absolutely superb production, amazingly wide soundstage, so in case you wanna test your gear - that's one of the ways to go.

Another track I can recall using myself was Allan Taylor's Colour to the Moon, and Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #355 of 482
  I myself can highly recommend Dead Can Dance's latest album - Anastasis. Absolutely superb production, amazingly wide soundstage, so in case you wanna test your gear - that's one of the ways to go.

Another track I can recall using myself was Allan Taylor's Colour to the Moon, and Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes.

could not agree more re Dead Can Dance..Anastasis. Superb!!

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #358 of 482

First about Jennifer Warnes. I decided to run through her remastered album of Leonard Cohen's songs "Famous Blue Raincoat" looking for suitable songs. Here is the list:
(2) Bird on a Wire. Good to test many things.
(3) The title song is great to listen, but it has a quite narrow soundstage. Strangely it offers two greats possibilities:
     - may be used to check sibilance
     - Jennifer's voice should sound inside your head, filling all the skull volume. If you do not have such sensation - try in good open cans.
(10) Night comes on. Voice and guitar should be perfectly centered, but orchestra accompaniment varies from quite close to very distant (at a quite low volume - also good to test resolution), so this track is good to test soundstage width and resolution.
(11) Ballad of the Runaway horse. Average soundstage width, but offers elements of instrument's 3D positioning (slightly in front and behind) + plucking of string instruments + sound of some rare instruments perfectly separated. Very high dynamic range, so you will need a good gear too.
(13) Joan of Arc (live). Actually, you feel that you are inside a great concert hall. Instruments sound much pronounced and brighter than in studio version of the song. Headphones with treble cut-off will sound dull. Soundstage is narrow, no 3D positioning.

Dead can Dance. Was able to hear original 2-channel DSD. Great album, outstanding music, I admit. But careful listening gave me strange sensation about sound mastering. All tracks have some soundstage width or/and hall presence effect. But they sound unnatural, artificially widened/surrounded. Plus way to purified Arabic motives. Even themed Hollywood's stupid movie soundtracks sound better. So I moved to speakers. Here everything went as supposed. Resume: at least this album is not for headphones. Not for me.

Allan Taylor's - Colour to the Moon. No doubt, one of the greatest songs ever. But for testing I have a bunch of another, better ones. It does not mean it can't be used. If you don't have anything of this kind at your list - take it w/o doubt. Just take into account it has narrow soundstage, so do not imagine things.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #359 of 482
I am not either hater or lover of electronic music, especially trance, but modern twists make me dizzy too often. I do not like to here like someone is torturing a cat or makes idiotic sounds mixing a couple of patterns with different parameters. So when someone plays a tune, a melody - it is a great pleasure. Some experiments from "Infected Mushroom" are weird, so psytrance purists will dislike their las album: 2017 - "Return to the Sauce". Way to melodic, you do not need to be drugged to enjoy the music.
In terms of audiophiles this album, but all tracks are excellent if your interests lie there. Especially I appreciate widest frequency range. From lowest bass to highest treble. Treble is not lost, but lows are not to emphasized.  Perfectly balanced music I would say. Choose any track to your liking.

Honestly speaking, last time I had such joy after listening to Boney M's - Exodus. In 1984!

P.S. Even Grado 80e, highly praised for many things except their compatibility with latest electronic music styles sounded wonderful.
P.S.S. I tried several cans going from light to bass heavy. 1) Some of them have more analytical sound, some play softer. Any signature sounded perfectly well. So I took my "heavyweight" cans: Bluedio R+ (cable connection). Bass overkill for most people. Wow! Overwhelming surrounding, but tender lows. Since R+ has sincere mids and extended treble too, became clear than classic DJ's cans with fall off in treble won't deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back