The Beatles or Pink Floyd.....Cast your vote
Sep 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #91 of 192

Quote:
-When I first listened to the Beatles: Wow what a great band!
-When I first listened to Pink Floyd: I think they are godly!

THEN.........I listened to Frank Zappa, and I haven't given those two a second thought ever since. Most people admire those two bands, but those bands admired Zappa, and he couldn't have cared less
tongue.gif

Zappa definitely blows them both out of the water but "normal" people just can't seem to get into Zappa. :wink:

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #93 of 192

Quote:
Zappa definitely blows them both out of the water but "normal" people just can't seem to get into Zappa. :wink:

agree 100%.

It is not easy to understand the greatness of  Zappa. I find it intriguing that many of the Zappa detractors I have met through the years, when we discuss the matter, they really don't know any of his music, they just think he was a crazy cult musician and nothing more.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #95 of 192
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #96 of 192
Both are my top two favorite rock bands.  Pink Floyd just barely over The Beatles.  The Beatles are more fun to listen to most times, but listening to Pink Floyd can be quite therapeutic. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #97 of 192
The earlier stuff of PF never interested me. Too spacey/trippy. From Meddle on some would say was the commercialized version of the band and was the post Syd period that had the most success.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #98 of 192
Pink Floyd, by far.

I do appreciate some of the Beatles' work, can't say they are completely unlistenable. But Pink Floyd is just on another level.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #99 of 192
Wow I'm so freaking tired (gonna take a nap after posting this) to discuss this... Didn't even know this thread.
First of all, what does pop selling music has to do with complex progressive rock frm 70s? It's like comparing a Beats by Dr.Dre or any Skullcandy iems with Sennheiser or Westone.
Do I choose a pop band or one of the most rocognized (untill 1979) progressive rock bands from all time that made the most amazing masterpieces (Wish You Were Here) ever!
You know my choise... and please, don't ever try to compare things that has nothing to do with each other (gonna have so many people hating me for posting this lulz)

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #100 of 192

Quote:
Wow I'm so freaking tired (gonna take a nap after posting this) to discuss this... Didn't even know this thread.
First of all, what does pop selling music has to do with complex progressive rock frm 70s? It's like comparing a Beats by Dr.Dre or any Skullcandy iems with Sennheiser or Westone.
Do I choose a pop band or one of the most rocognized (untill 1979) progressive rock bands from all time that made the most amazing masterpieces (Wish You Were Here) ever!
You know my choise... and please, don't ever try to compare things that has nothing to do with each other (gonna have so many people hating me for posting this lulz)

I agree.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #101 of 192
The Beatles had plenty of (at the time) progressive music. I think they opened the door for the Pink Floyds of the world from the pop dominated airplay of the 60s.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #102 of 192
Pink Floyd - Rush - Led Zepplin - takes a while for me to get to The Beatles.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #105 of 192
Prog rock's biggest influence in late 60s were jazz, rock and classical... not pop.

not everything the Beatles did was pop. From Revolver on, the Beatles were instrumental in developing rock.

From Progarchives:

The Beatles biography
It goes without saying that the Beatles were one of the most important, influential and progressive bands in the history of rock and pop music.

The Beatles' influence is still apparent in much modern rock and pop music, whether directly or in a reactionary sense, and one has only to hear some of the earliest recordings by Progressive Rock artists of the 1970s and later to realise how prevalent their influence was; for example, Yes' first album contains covers of Beatles songs and Geoff Mann/Twelfth Night recorded their own version of "Eleanor Rigby" as a single.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back