The Beatles Headphone Fatigue
Nov 5, 2004 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone get insanely fatigued after listening to unbalanced music like The Beatles? Good crossfeed helps, but man... I can't listen to The Beatles for very long with headphones... which is a shame, because that's where they really rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone ever play around with the sample and balance it out?

Nov 5, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 16
It's not very easy to do this, because the recordings are simply a lot of mono recordings mixed together.

The Beatles rock, agreed - but I can't listen to them for a very long time either. It just ends up being extremely tedious and very fatiquing.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 16
I need as much crossfeed as possible for listening to old stuff with weird instrument placement through headphones.The Meier crossfeed of my Corda sometimes isn't strong enough.In such cases I use the adjustable headplug plugin for winamp.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 16
I usually don't listen to Beatles albums with headphones for this reason. As a child of the digital age, I can't stand the two channel thing. I do enjoy their songs, but I think I need to get some heavy crossfeed before I can really sit down and listen to the music.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 16
In fact, I just pulled out some Beatles stuff today and thought "jeez these channels are seperated" before putting the crossfeed on. The Doors are the same way. Without a crossfeed, you can really just go nuts listening to them.

Nov 6, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 16
agreed. but i can listen to the beach boys no prob. oh, they were remixed for stereo in the 90's? you tricked me, Beach Boys Greatest Hits!

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 16
I don`t have that problem......of course I notice the seperated channels, but it blend in my brain together. No fatigue at all.

When I rehearse with my band, it sounds the same way. Not to this extreme (like on your headphones), but the sound is seperated. The drums are left of me and the 2 guitarist right from me. I`m Mister Bassman. Ok, the vocals are in stereo. But the rest is mono.
Maybe I`m just saying stupid things here, than you can shoot me
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 16
I am (as you might have guessed) a huge fan. However, those first four albums in the new "American" box set are a pretty tough listen with cans in stereo. The mono mixes are much better...some of the stereo mixes are separated to the point that it gets annoying in a hurry.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 16
I found the quality of Beatle CDs in general a big disgrace!!

They sound horrible, and "Yellow Submarine", not the original but a kind of compilation George Martin made a few years ago showed that remastering can give a very full, spatial and detailed sound. On that Cd you really hear four extremely talented guys playing.
Why can't all Beatle-CDs be remastered?
AFAIK, Rolling Stones albums have been Issued 4 or 5 times (first a very bland version, then the digitally filtered far-to-bright editions, then the great sounding remastered editions, and lately SACD). No one took that trouble with Beale-CDs, except for the unpleasantly bright sounding 80s remasters.
Like 'm or not, they are the foundation of Pop, and IMO still unsurpassed, so it's a shame this job has still not been properly done!
Damn, I need a beer...

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 16
If I were you I would just listen to them in mono and enjoy the music.
cool.gif

[size=xx-small]Hmm ... now where's that 'mono' switch ? =)[/size]

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 16
The very beginning of Sgt. Pepper annoys me, but within a 5 minutes I seem to get along with it fine.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The very beginning of Sgt. Pepper annoys me

Try that on the Yellow Submarine remastered I mentioned, you really won't believe the difference.

But it's about the music of course, just wish it was better dressed, that's all.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I found the quality of Beatle CDs in general a big disgrace!!

They sound horrible, and "Yellow Submarine", not the original but a kind of compilation George Martin made a few years ago showed that remastering can give a very full, spatial and detailed sound. On that Cd you really hear four extremely talented guys playing.
Why can't all Beatle-CDs be remastered?
AFAIK, Rolling Stones albums have been Issued 4 or 5 times (first a very bland version, then the digitally filtered far-to-bright editions, then the great sounding remastered editions, and lately SACD). No one took that trouble with Beale-CDs, except for the unpleasantly bright sounding 80s remasters.
Like 'm or not, they are the foundation of Pop, and IMO still unsurpassed, so it's a shame this job has still not been properly done!
Damn, I need a beer...

I agree that the mastering job on original Beatles CDs - which are all still in print - is less than good. In fact, the mastering job on most of them is craptacular.

As for the actual stereo mixes, the three Beatles albums which I cannot stand to listen to an entire album through headphones are PPM, WTB and RS. Those hole-down-the-middle stereo mixes drive me up the wall!
eek.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 16
Most of the Beatles material is a terrible listen on headphones. This is too bad since the music and the Beatles really bring back memories for me. The exception to the poor technical quality is, "Let It Be . . . Naked", the re-mastering on this shows what can be done to older recordings to bring them up to date, and give them a new lease on life.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back