The Basshead Club
Nov 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #496 of 11,286
I don't know what the difference is between the two, but to quote another one of my posts in this forum

What bassheads want is pretty clear. Have you ever listened to music on a nice car stereo, or a nice speaker system in a club You hear the bass, and it's booming and heavy, but you also hear the instruments and vocals 100% clearly at the same time. All I want is that same experience in a headphone.

Whatever headphone gets that done within my $150 budget is what I want. The XB500 have plenty of bass but the highs are not clear or loud enough. I've tried some headphones described neutral and they have absolutely no bass response and it's the crappiest thing I have ever heard. If I have to err in one direction, I'd rather err towards more bass.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #497 of 11,286

Quote:
I don't know what the difference is between the two, but to quote another one of my posts in this forum Quote:
What bassheads want is pretty clear. Have you ever listened to music on a nice car stereo, or a nice speaker system in a club You hear the bass, and it's booming and heavy, but you also hear the instruments and vocals 100% clearly at the same time. All I want is that same experience in a headphone.

Whatever headphone gets that done within my $150 budget is what I want. The XB500 have plenty of bass but the highs are not clear or loud enough. I've tried some headphones described neutral and they have absolutely no bass response and it's the crappiest thing I have ever heard. If I have to err in one direction, I'd rather err towards more bass.

Shure srh750dj.

Bassy (great quality bass) and good treble. Mids are still pronounced and you will hear everything.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #499 of 11,286
if you consider any grado a "basshead" can then your opinions are null and void. You're digging you're own grave by using the least bass heavy set of cans on the planet as an example of how to make huge bass...ALSO the porta pro is not vented it sits ON the ear............

Quote:

I stand by my opinion that the Portapro has more bass VOLUME than both the M50 and the HD25. And in case you don't know, venting does help to increase bass projection, as seen in the IE8 and in Grado headphones.

The HD25 does have the impact and the punch, which is (I assume) the reason that its considered "for bassheads".

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #501 of 11,286
In my opinion it would not be worth investing in them for the Atrios unless you are having isolation issues.  Before going to "custom" eartips you may want to try either the EarSonics bi-flanges or the Shure Olives.  Both have the same internal diameter that the Atrios require and would be good alternatives to the stock eartips if you don't like what came with the Atrios.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #503 of 11,286
Shure Olives:
http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/frontpage/products/shure-foam-sleeves-l-10

EarSonics bi-flanges:
http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/frontpage/products/earsonics-replacment-silicon-tips-3-pairs

I like both, but for different IEMs that I have so I would recommend getting both of them to see what works for you.  The EarSonics are one-size fits all.  For the Olives - if you typically use the largest size tips that come with your IEMs then get the Large, otherwise you're probably the Medium.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #504 of 11,286

Quote:
if you consider any grado a "basshead" can then your opinions are null and void. You're digging you're own grave by using the least bass heavy set of cans on the planet as an example of how to make huge bass...ALSO the porta pro is not vented it sits ON the ear............

WOW. I thought Head-Fi was a community forum, and that everyone's opinions were welcome... I realize things have gotten a bit more shouty and impolite between members in the past few years since I first joined, but we should all respect each other's point of view, or what's the point?

I'm not trashing the person in the above quote, I'm just noticing that all over Head-Fi things have been a little ...hostile? What I wanted to mention regarding the quote was about the Koss PortaPro (and consequently the KSC35, and SportaPro) which are a family of models utilizing the SAME driver/capsule, and are, in fact, vented (rows of holes on the top/ball-socket side of the driver/capsule, on the OTHER side from where the foams or pads sit). I guess it's a "semi-closed/semi-open" design since there isn't a grille for the rear of the driver, like on a Sennheiser HD 580/600/650, but those Koss drivers ARE "vented". So is the KSC75, which is essentially a PortaPro driver with a 2-mil layer of titanium coating.

Whether or not the PortaPro "family" is _THE BASSIEST_ of phones isn't something I'd debate. However it merits inclusion in the stable of "bassy" headphones since it is far from a "flat" frequency response/neutral headphone and has a more pronounced level of bass-orientation over "neutral".

I'm not going to argue about whether or not a Grado is "bassy enough" for somebody. I had a SR-60 as my first pair of "cans", and a pair of ER-4S as my first IEM. Compared to the Etymotics, the Grado _was_ bass-heavy. I've read that the top-tier Grado's have more and better bass than the entry-level model(s), and that a custom woody styled as a "grado-replacement" with Magnum drivers may be bassier than an actual Grado. Do I think a Grado/Magnum signature is as bassy as a PortaPro "family" driver? No. Or a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A? Again, no. A pair of say, Apple stock earbuds, or MOST of the IEM's I've listened to? (owned roughly 13 different pairs at different pricepoints), sure the Grado is bassier than the Apple earbud, and for instance the Phonak PFE and HiFiMAN RE-0 I've had.

What is the general consensus on a "bassy" or "basshead" -oriented 'phone? I think this is an important question for this thread. It sort-of shaped MY "headphone journey", as a self-confessed "bass aficionado". Should the only valid 'phones for discussion be ones with a disproportionate amount of bass, at the expense of the other frequency bands, meaning the $5.10 Kanen KM-92 are a fine example? They're VERY bassy, almost as bassy as the Victor HP-FX500, but not quite as textured in the bass regions, and while the HP-FX500 was and still is considered quite a bassy 'phone, it managed to have good mids and treble (though some say the treble can be "bright" or "harsh"; but the bass is more "noticeable").

I think it would be fantastic if members could come up with some kind of "barometer" or "index" of how much weight or emphasis there is for each region of the frequency spectrum, that could be applied to all headphones in a comparative fashion. That idea is a bit Off-Topic (sorry), but it makes more sense than random claim-staking that one headphone is a bass-/mid-/treble- "monster" compared to another; and could generally help folks figure out which 'phone(s) fit the bill for them for their preferences. In the context of this thread, if a 'phone has "enough" bassiness for the user.

I've been watching this thread, and the releated "treblehead", "midhead", and "neutralhead" threads for a little while, and have (mostly) been enjoying them. I hope they can stay fun and informative and away from name-calling, character-assasination, and the like, and let everybody feel welcome here.

Peace.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #506 of 11,286
WOW. I thought Head-Fi was a community forum, and that everyone's opinions were welcome... I realize things have gotten a bit more shouty and impolite between members in the past few years since I first joined, but we should all respect each other's point of view, or what's the point?

I'm not trashing the person in the above quote, I'm just noticing that all over Head-Fi things have been a little ...hostile? What I wanted to mention regarding the quote was about the Koss PortaPro (and consequently the KSC35, and SportaPro) which are a family of models utilizing the SAME driver/capsule, and are, in fact, vented (rows of holes on the top/ball-socket side of the driver/capsule, on the OTHER side from where the foams or pads sit). I guess it's a "semi-closed/semi-open" design since there isn't a grille for the rear of the driver, like on a Sennheiser HD 580/600/650, but those Koss drivers ARE "vented". So is the KSC75, which is essentially a PortaPro driver with a 2-mil layer of titanium coating.

Whether or not the PortaPro "family" is _THE BASSIEST_ of phones isn't something I'd debate. However it merits inclusion in the stable of "bassy" headphones since it is far from a "flat" frequency response/neutral headphone and has a more pronounced level of bass-orientation over "neutral".

I'm not going to argue about whether or not a Grado is "bassy enough" for somebody. I had a SR-60 as my first pair of "cans", and a pair of ER-4S as my first IEM. Compared to the Etymotics, the Grado _was_ bass-heavy. I've read that the top-tier Grado's have more and better bass than the entry-level model(s), and that a custom woody styled as a "grado-replacement" with Magnum drivers may be bassier than an actual Grado. Do I think a Grado/Magnum signature is as bassy as a PortaPro "family" driver? No. Or a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A? Again, no. A pair of say, Apple stock earbuds, or MOST of the IEM's I've listened to? (owned roughly 13 different pairs at different pricepoints), sure the Grado is bassier than the Apple earbud, and for instance the Phonak PFE and HiFiMAN RE-0 I've had.

What is the general consensus on a "bassy" or "basshead" -oriented 'phone? I think this is an important question for this thread. It sort-of shaped MY "headphone journey", as a self-confessed "bass aficionado". Should the only valid 'phones for discussion be ones with a disproportionate amount of bass, at the expense of the other frequency bands, meaning the $5.10 Kanen KM-92 are a fine example? They're VERY bassy, almost as bassy as the Victor HP-FX500, but not quite as textured in the bass regions, and while the HP-FX500 was and still is considered quite a bassy 'phone, it managed to have good mids and treble (though some say the treble can be "bright" or "harsh"; but the bass is more "noticeable").

I think it would be fantastic if members could come up with some kind of "barometer" or "index" of how much weight or emphasis there is for each region of the frequency spectrum, that could be applied to all headphones in a comparative fashion. That idea is a bit Off-Topic (sorry), but it makes more sense than random claim-staking that one headphone is a bass-/mid-/treble- "monster" compared to another; and could generally help folks figure out which 'phone(s) fit the bill for them for their preferences. In the context of this thread, if a 'phone has "enough" bassiness for the user.

I've been watching this thread, and the releated "treblehead", "midhead", and "neutralhead" threads for a little while, and have (mostly) been enjoying them. I hope they can stay fun and informative and away from name-calling, character-assasination, and the like, and let everybody feel welcome here.

Peace.

Thanks for the save bro.

I'm not going to argue with SennHD anymore, who seems to think that the world revolves around his opinion. But Senn, if you want to however, please take it in PM form.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #507 of 11,286
While I would have said it...nicer...I will say that there isn't a single Grado that belongs on this list. 

I don't even think it's really an opinion due to the FR of Grados in general...

I try to respect everyone's opinions and keep and open mind...but they're Grado's, man! 
o2smile.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #508 of 11,286
While I would have said it...nicer...I will say that there isn't a single Grado that belongs on this list. 

I don't even think it's really an opinion due to the FR of Grados in general...

I try to respect everyone's opinions and keep and open mind...but they're Grado's, man! 
o2smile.gif

I think people are misunderstanding me...

Of course, Grados are definitely NOT basshead material. I was giving an example on how venting increases bass projection.

Have you guys tried a closed Grado? Dear god...

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #509 of 11,286

Quote:
Of course, Grados are definitely NOT basshead material. I was giving an example on how venting increases bass projection.

Grados belong in the treble head thread.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #510 of 11,286

Quote:

This. I don't know what exactly was misconstrued here, but venting (or a bass reflex system) is what helps open and closed headphones have palpable bass. Here's a nice link that kind of explains the difference between ported and sealed enclosures that applies to headphones just the same: http://www.eminence.com/2011/06/sealed-vs-ported-enclosures/

To those of you that have open headphones, cover the cups. Don't they sound just awful? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back