The Basshead Club
Nov 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3,197 of 11,286
Quote:
can you suggest a air of headphones rather than an amp for now please : P Logitech UE 6000 OR Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black OR 

[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO[/size]

Many thanks

Anoob

1st, an amp does make a difference, thats why people are so insistent with you. 50-60$ can get you a good portable amp and its worth considering.

2nd, im not an authority by any means but i do own a pair of dt770s (250 ohm). i love them and contrary to popular belief, theyll sound fine straight out of your ipod. yes, they have a high impedance but they also have high sensitivity wich makes up for it. most people would say that your not using the headphones full potential if you dont have an amp, i havnt tested this yet, but either way i dont think theyll sound BAD, maybe just not as good as they could be. (again, i havnt actually tested this, im waiting for my spl meter to arrive so i can start all my amateur tests.)
 if you do get the 770s, there is a 32 ohm version, but i dont know if it sounds the same as the regular, "pro" versions.
one thing though, again, not something i tested, but i have a suspicion that if driven out of a dap without an amp it could use up alot of battery power, hopefully a more experienced member of the forum can tell us if this is right or wrong.

if your looking for recommendations you should tell people what you listen to, i listen to electronical music (mostly dubstep, drum and bass and glitch) and my dt 770s sound fantastic with these genres. cant speak for any of the others on your list as i dont own any, but if you use the search option as someone else already pointed out, youll probably have all the info you need to compare any of the cans on your list.

edit: i wanted to clarify. 1st i said that an amp makes a difference and then i say i dont know how much of a difference because i never tested. what i meant to say was that there IS a noticeable difference, i just didnt want to go out and declare it because its not fair to make comparisons without matching volume imho.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3,199 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm not speaking in the sense "China = always bad" but in this case, using logical thinking which I do on a regular basis to make educated guesses:

- The only real reason to withdrawn popular well selling previous gen XB headphones is that they aren't making enough money, they are too expensive to make for how cheap they sold for. I always thought the old XB pads looked quite expensive.  Also the drivers themselves are no slouch, it's just the frequency balance is far from ideal, the XB500 in particular benefits a lot by EQing, the far major drawback is the balance, the driver itself isn't THAT bad, the cups' material doesn't really make the drivers justice either xD

- Now a possible way to do it is always: "ride on the fame". XB500 especially has gained a lot of popularity among the typical youth that craves the bumped bass. Now the fame will make up for the loss in quality, people still buy it unless it sounds complete crap (Beats still sales well despite sounding like garbage). There's enough hype built up at this point, it can take some dip in SQ and lower manufacturing costs at the expense of the hype which is suprisingly slow fading away.

- At first glance it looks stylish and nice looking and even durable.... at a distance.... up close.... reveals very cheap plastic...

- Thailand is where most good Sony stuff comes from, there must be a reason it was moved to China manufacturing, in this case I obviously suspect => lower manufacturing costs at expense of quality

- The initial not very positive reviews just further emphasize my suspection; a new series that is only meant to bring more $$$ for Sony by lowering manufacturing costs and upping the price, riding the fame of previous XB series for a good 1-2 years or so when we finally get a better sounding XB series again

When I got the XB200-600, I noticed that the lower end models were made in Thailand, whilst the XB600 is made in China. I'm wondering why Sony chose to do this. Would it have been better if all the models were made in the same country? Something tells me the XB800 is also manufactured in China - I'll confirm that once I get my hands on a set.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3,200 of 11,286
Guys:

I already own the white VModa M-80's and I am very happy with them, but now I'm looking for a decent pair of BASSHEAD over-ears. My desired criteria for picking one will be:

1) Completely over-ear
2) Budget is $150, but will do $175 if its really worth it
3) Closed design
2) Strong "GOOD" Bass, and somewhat decent mids and highs (yeah, I know)
3) Preferable not too bulky (aka XB500) or heavy since they will be mostly for portable use
4) Comfort is important but I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort in exchange for #2

I was already suggested (by RPGWizard) to get the M-Audio Q40's and I almost did (and maybe I will), but since reading this thread I have noticed some people mentioning others like:

Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1
Aiaiai TMA-1
Denon HP700
ATH-M50
ATH-Pro700 MK2
VModa Crossfade LP2
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

At this time, out of all those my favorites by all the comments, reviews (and looks) are: Q40, TMA-1, HFI-580 and DT770 Pro.

Any comments to help me out will be appreciated. Once again I would like to thank RPGWizard for replying to my pm some time ago with a very nice and detailed response. This guy is gold, as it seems with many people in this community.

My source is a Clip Zip (Rockboxed) + E6 + 32gigs of 256AAC, 320MP3, FLAC

Just got the E11 (with xtra battery) but I haven't even opened it yet, I want to use it with my over-ears. =)

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3,201 of 11,286
Quote:

Just got the E11 (with xtra battery) but I haven't even opened it yet, I want to use it with my over-ears. =)

sorry, cant say much for the headphones (i do own the dt770s and i love them, i also think that theyr probably the most comfortable, but thats based on reviews, not experience) but the e11 has 2 bass boost options, the 1st boosts the bass by 3 db, and 2nd by around 6db, so really, you can make allmost any headphone bassy. 

heres a great review for the q40s btw, written by MalVeauX, i think if you read it all, youll find it useful.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,202 of 11,286
Quote:
This post may help you out.

Quote:
I'd grab the Custom One Pro over the DT770 Pro anyday of the week. 

Quote:

1st, an amp does make a difference, thats why people are so insistent with you. 50-60$ can get you a good portable amp and its worth considering.

2nd, im not an authority by any means but i do own a pair of dt770s (250 ohm). i love them and contrary to popular belief, theyll sound fine straight out of your ipod. yes, they have a high impedance but they also have high sensitivity wich makes up for it. most people would say that your not using the headphones full potential if you dont have an amp, i havnt tested this yet, but either way i dont think theyll sound BAD, maybe just not as good as they could be. (again, i havnt actually tested this, im waiting for my spl meter to arrive so i can start all my amateur tests.)
 if you do get the 770s, there is a 32 ohm version, but i dont know if it sounds the same as the regular, "pro" versions.
one thing though, again, not something i tested, but i have a suspicion that if driven out of a dap without an amp it could use up alot of battery power, hopefully a more experienced member of the forum can tell us if this is right or wrong.

if your looking for recommendations you should tell people what you listen to, i listen to electronical music (mostly dubstep, drum and bass and glitch) and my dt 770s sound fantastic with these genres. cant speak for any of the others on your list as i dont own any, but if you use the search option as someone else already pointed out, youll probably have all the info you need to compare any of the cans on your list.

edit: i wanted to clarify. 1st i said that an amp makes a difference and then i say i dont know how much of a difference because i never tested. what i meant to say was that there IS a noticeable difference, i just didnt want to go out and declare it because its not fair to make comparisons without matching volume imho.

thank you for all your help guys!

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,203 of 11,286
Quote:
Guys:

I already own the white VModa M-80's and I am very happy with them, but now I'm looking for a decent pair of BASSHEAD over-ears. My desired criteria for picking one will be:

1) Completely over-ear
2) Budget is $150, but will do $175 if its really worth it
3) Closed design
2) Strong "GOOD" Bass, and somewhat decent mids and highs (yeah, I know)
3) Preferable not too bulky (aka XB500) or heavy since they will be mostly for portable use
4) Comfort is important but I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort in exchange for #2

I was already suggested (by RPGWizard) to get the M-Audio Q40's and I almost did (and maybe I will), but since reading this thread I have noticed some people mentioning others like:

Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1
Aiaiai TMA-1
Denon HP700
ATH-M50
ATH-Pro700 MK2
VModa Crossfade LP2
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

At this time, out of all those my favorites by all the comments, reviews (and looks) are: Q40, TMA-1, HFI-580 and DT770 Pro.

Any comments to help me out will be appreciated. Once again I would like to thank RPGWizard for replying to my pm some time ago with a very nice and detailed response. This guy is gold, as it seems with many people in this community.

My source is a Clip Zip (Rockboxed) + E6 + 32gigs of 256AAC, 320MP3, FLAC

The HFI 580 is a good basshead can, as it presents a clear sound coupled with a more than decent bass presentation. Beats are punchy, quantity is mid-level, treble is extended well, and the mid-range doesn't suffer too much. You can always attenuate the bass quantity to higher levels with the E11 and EQing. The 2 downsides for the HFI 580 are the really long cable (3m) and its tendency to be sibilant at times.

The PRO700MK2 is very punchy with decent levels of bass. Of course, this can also be amended with bass boosters and EQing. However, it is a dark can whose treble levels aren't exactly prominent. The TMA-1 is most similar to the PRO700MK2 in its overall sound signature/tonality. Get either of them if you are a fan of darker colored sound signatures.

The M50 is a generally good can that offers little to the basshead. Stock M50 doesn't offer much in regard to bass quantity, and it will take a lot of EQing to reach a satisfactory level (for bassheads, of course). Just forget about the M50, IMO.

The HP700 is very similar to the M50, with slightly extended bass levels. I think of it as an improved M50, but YMMV.

If you want a lot of bass, the Crossfade LP2 is the way to go. Bear in mind, though, you're getting a solidly built can with a nice set of accessories, and an extremely bassy experience. At stock levels, they approach the XB500 in mid-bass quantity. If you want the wall of bass effect, get the LP2.

I have only had limited experience with the DT770, but I like its punchy, well defined bass.

I hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,204 of 11,286
Thanks Malevolent!. I think now I will narrow my list to:

Q40, DT770 or maybe even the Reloop RHP-20.

Why the Reloop? Well I like the compact/tilt headband design, built seems to be good and light (aluminum and rubberized parts). From most reviews I've seen the overall sound/bass is very good also. The only thing I don't like too much is the mini XLR coiled cable, but I already found non-coiled versions of the mini XLR cable. Btw the Reloop is on Ebay atm for $99 free s&h and I've seen it at $80 sometimes. Not bad I guess.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/09/review-video-reloop-rhp-20-pro-dj-headphone/

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3,206 of 11,286
Quote:
no they are on-ear

off with his head. =)

As far as the Crossfade LP2, since I already own the M-80 I want to have something totally different design wise.

Thanks to everybody for the comments. Please keep the suggestions coming. In the mean time I will use the Panny HTF600 I recently ordered for $25 lol (haven't arrived yet) until I am ready to spend more green and get one from my narrowed list.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,208 of 11,286
Quote:

hu? sorry if i was rude or somthing... 

Yea man, Full size cans are the best for bass! THose big drivers can really mess you up :D more so than those little on ear cans can ;3

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,209 of 11,286
Quote:
Yea man, Full size cans are the best for bass! THose big drivers can really mess you up :D more so than those little on ear cans can ;3

i have never owned on-ear headphones, only iems or full sized. i feel like on-ear headphones are neither here nor there, not small enough to stuff into your pocket, not big enough to actually be called "big". im sure sq wise they can be great, but as far as function goes as i just dont get it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back