The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #17 of 1,853

+1 on the shop of xb series :D

Thinksound On1 monitor are by far the best on-ear headphone I've heard or owned to date.

Are they of audiophile standard bass?

Yes, I'd say they fit the criteria for this thread perfectly.

The sound that comes out of these cans is so much bigger and better than their restrained design and small form factor suggest - a true wolf in sheep clothing.

And these cans upscale very well, so they happily run directly from your smart phone/tablet with a fantastic sound, but also get even better with whatever quality amplifier you pair them with.

It's a very lush warm sound to my ears that come from these cans with very crisp clarity. Very well balanced IMO. I absolutely love them.

DSCF4663.jpg

DSCF4657.jpg

DSCF4647.jpg

DSCF4642.jpg

DSCF4640.jpg

DSCF4670.jpg

DSCF4673.jpg

nice pics.

personally (on thinksound on1) I eq the mid bass down and sub-bass a bit up (there a metric tons of bass though), but they've very well balanced in the a-la monitor way but without annoying highs or mids - just prominent enough and crisp enough. maybe a tad closed re on ear, but 90% of the time i don't mind
and very comfortable.

can probably throw in 1plus2 and Rdb v1 mini to the side of H300 mentioned above :D

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 1,853
  Hey all, 

I'd like to make this thread specifically for discussion of:
  1. Bass oriented headphones (Over-ear/on-ear/in-ear)
  2. Bass capable portable DAPs
  3. Any DAC/amps that have bass worth mentioning
  4. Gear recommendations for new or existing users
  5. Images of bass headphones and/or bass-oriented audiophile gear. 

Enjoy! 

Love the new thread............should get plenty of input.

High end bass oriented phones I've come to love - the TH900, D7000 and both of mine are Lawton modded for improved bass response.  If you've been skeptical of what his tuning/damping does, I understand but my experience was a stock D7000 listened to for a week, being underwhelmed with the bass (a bit loose and muddy) and sending it to Mark for the treatment.  $99 plus shipping later I got what sounded like a new headphone - literally changed my mind.  See, I'd been listening to a D2000 that was Lawton modded and was incredibly impressed with the bass response and tightness and now the D7000 is even better.  His system works - and so did it to my TH900, which, tho it wasn't really a muddy mess, I felt could use some tightening.  It worked. 

The rest of my arsenal of bassy phones -

D600 - Denon may not be as popular as they used to be with the new designs but I still love the D600. Great comfort, isolation and strong bass.  I want to get into the cups and do the Fatmat treatment to them but haven't figured out how yet (not spent much time on it either - so if you know how to get at them let me know).
Pro900 - wow............added Alpha pads to my pair and they flat hit hard.
Q40 - some question if it really is a basshead can - I think so but it is more than a one trick pony.  Such good sound overall in a $120 package.

A comment on what is likely thought of as the least bass capable headphone around - the HD700.  I just bought one for cheap after auditioning one a few months ago on the HeadAmp demo tour.  Out of a vintage amp (Pioneer Spec system) these are VERY bass capable.  Shocked?  I was too but did some A/B last night with my D7000 and did not find them lacking, and the open headphone thing I think I'm finally getting.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with source but these are really really good headphones. 

Enough of my babbling.............

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 1,853
Wanted to do this separately as it may get lost in the wash of my long post above.

Vintage amps, if you haven't tried them, for home use are AMAZING for bassheads.  They are inexpensive, gorgeous and with the tone controls and loudness switch thrown are incredible.  Just turned my bud Grizzlybeast on to them and he is a disciple now. 

For less than $200 you can get the following that will outperform most of your "headphone amps" up to a very high cost

level.  I own 7 of these now. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 1,853
Some really good-lucking set-ups here.

JVC HA S500
I wouldn't consider this headphone as an 'audiophile headphone', but it has one of the most fun sound signatures i have ever heard. Powerful midbass with impressive subbass capabilities. Its my main portable headphone. Recommended to anyone looking for a bassy portable for under $50. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 1,853
Hmm.. Should I make a list in OP of all the different kinds of basshead gear?

Maybe in categories/amounts of bass/price?

And if there is any contention, we can discuss it..

Hmm.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 1,853
Digizoid....more than just a gimmick....adds good, deep bass
Cowon daps...mach 3bass is pretty amazing. Not exactly how or why it works, but it does.
Audio technoca ws99....more than just bass, and rest of spectrum is solid also

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 1,853
The OP has been updated.

If anyone wants to add gear to the lists, just comment in the thread!

Let me know the following:

Type: (In-ear, over-ear, on-ear)
Brand
Model number
(optional) personal comment about the sound.

If anyone wants to add comments to each of the gear in the lists, comment it in the thread, and I'll add it as a spoiler in the OP. 

For example: 

Beyer Dynamic:
DT770
Incredibly comfortable, wallops of sub-bass, can change pads to have an impact on sonic signature.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 1,853
Hope this doesn't count as spam since I said this before, but:

Xiaomi:
Pistons 2.0 
Fun, U-shaped sound signature. Powerful, punchy bass, crystal-clear midrange, and crisp highs. Also very (read: dirt) cheap.

I don't know if these have already been posted, but:

Bowers & Wilkins:
P7

Monster:
Diesel VEKTR
DNA On-Ear

Oh yeah, a little formatting gripe I saw. The Thunderpants is a headphone, not a brand. Therefore, I think Smeggy should just be the "brand" since he was the modder. That, and putting "Modifies Fostex T50-RP's" without a proper name feels really, really weird and breaks the continuity.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 1,853
re vintage amps - be prepared to replace electrolytic caps?

That's a real possibility as over time they will need replaced. Thus far all my equipment has not needed any major work. My Spec 2 amp had a difficult to find scratchiness issue that in the end required the left amp board to be resoldered due to cold solder issue.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #30 of 1,853
  Hope this doesn't count as spam since I said this before, but:

Xiaomi:
Pistons 2.0 
Fun, U-shaped sound signature. Powerful, punchy bass, crystal-clear midrange, and crisp highs. Also very (read: dirt) cheap.

I don't know if these have already been posted, but:

Bowers & Wilkins:
P7

Monster:
Diesel VEKTR
DNA On-Ear

Oh yeah, a little formatting gripe I saw. The Thunderpants is a headphone, not a brand. Therefore, I think Smeggy should just be the "brand" since he was the modder. That, and putting "Modifies Fostex T50-RP's" without a proper name feels really, really weird and breaks the continuity.

Entries have been submitted, and formatting gripe fixed! Thanks man!

Logitech (Ultimate Ears)
UE 6000
UE 9000

Fiio
E18

Damn you made that list beautiful White Lotus.

Thanks mate! I also added your contributions. I'm using an E18 as my primary at the moment, I'm in love with it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back