The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Aug 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #151 of 1,431
Speaking of which, they kind of work for laying in bed. But definitely not the best, as the back of the phones get pushed up a bit by the pillow (so they're a bit farther forward on your head).

The other thing... I have been finding these phones fantastic for electronica that includes some good bass. They really seem to shine there IMO.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #152 of 1,431
Wow, seems these cans get quite a lot of good reviews.

I have been on the fence for a long time trying to decide on a "good" pair of cans. I have a nice collection of IEM's: UM3x's, TF10's and RE0's, and think I am just about done with buying IEM's for awhile. So trying to decide on a set of full sized cans. This is quite difficult as there are way more choises in full sized cans, and where i live the only place to actually listen to any is Best buy :frowning2: .

I already own a set of BOSE cans...... and I am sorry i bought them, not that they sound horrible, they just don't sound that great and are built like crap. From what I gather everyone seems to like the M50's, and the price is well below what i was planing to spend.
Do the M50's compare favorably with most cans in the $200-$300 range?
I am a bit of a bass head, though not all the time, can the M50 crank the lows when asked to?

I will be listening to them with primarily a sonyX>mini3 or an itouch2g>LOD>mini3. I also have a Cmoy BB.

For the price i think i should just get them, sounds like a no-brainer, kinda like my RE0's, they were like $70 and are my second favorite IEM's, The UM3X's are my top pick but just barley.

Thanks

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #154 of 1,431
I really think the mid issue is largely fixed by tuning the bass.  To my ears and the FR graphs the mids don't look any worse than most headphones 2-10xs more expensive.  Of course my definition of recessed is probably different than most others.  I think when you tell people that mids are recessed they imagine vocals lacking presence and character.  This is not the case at all.  So the upper half of the mids have a dip but the vocals are clean, clear and sonorous to me.  

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #155 of 1,431

Quote:
The other thing... I have been finding these phones fantastic for electronica that includes some good bass. They really seem to shine there IMO.

Do you listen to Memory Tapes? I love the album Seek Magic, and just by chance I found that the live drummer wears the M50's!!!! Haha, check it out!

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2626-memory-tapes

You can hear more of the electronic emphasis in his studio versions
http://www.last.fm/music/Memory+Tapes

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #156 of 1,431
well,  for just over a $100, i ordered a set. hoping these will give me a taste of what really good cans can provide.

so far the best sound i have heard from a portable sorce has been flac files through a clip>mini3>UM3X. hoping these will open it up a bit!

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #158 of 1,431
Just got my M50's. Loving them. Comfortable, good solid sound... non-fatiguing. Very very good deal for the price!! Best bass headphone I own.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #159 of 1,431

Quote:
well,  for just over a $100, i ordered a set. hoping these will give me a taste of what really good cans can provide.

so far the best sound i have heard from a portable sorce has been flac files through a clip>mini3>UM3X. hoping these will open it up a bit!

Congrats on your purchase.

Realize of course that the UM3X is in the 'upper-mid' tier of IEM's, so I'm not sure a comparison is fair. 
wink_face.gif

The M50 is probably the best closed can for the money. Just by it's nature it should sound more 'open' in terms of 'soundstage', but being a closed can will be more constrained than open cans with a similar sonic character.

Once you have these, and they have been playing for at least 24 hours or so, let us know what you think and how they stack up to those great Westones.

cheers

shane

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #160 of 1,431

Quote:
Just got my M50's. Loving them. Comfortable, good solid sound... non-fatiguing. Very very good deal for the price!! Best bass headphone I own.

x2 on all counts.

Congrats on your new sonic delights...

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #161 of 1,431

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase.

Realize of course that the UM3X is in the 'upper-mid' tier of IEM's, so I'm not sure a comparison is fair. 
wink_face.gif

The M50 is probably the best closed can for the money. Just by it's nature it should sound more 'open' in terms of 'soundstage', but being a closed can will be more constrained than open cans with a similar sonic character.

Once you have these, and they have been playing for at least 24 hours or so, let us know what you think and how they stack up to those great Westones.

cheers

shane

I will, just found a few threads on modifying them as well, so i am eagerly awaiting the mail-man! As for the UM3X, yea i love them. they are not perfect but pretty close for a universal. They seem a bit muted on the high end (EQ helps a  bunch), If I could get the highs of the RE0's with the balanced and textured low/mids of the UM3X's......
The M50's seem like they will be a great phone, I was wanting to spend more on a "premium" can ($300-$500) but there are so many choises and opinions on what is "best", or I should say, what is "best for me" it makes it very stresfull trying to decide on the right one. Looks like the M50 will allow me to try a "really good" can, as well as tune it to find my perticular sound signature. It should give me (hopefully) a good frame of referance to use when selecting an open can. I like the referance someone made "so the M50's seem to be the on ear equivelant to the RE0's" or something like that. cause i bought the RE0's based on all the "great sounding IEM and a great price to boot" claims and i whole heartedly agree.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #162 of 1,431

Quote:

I will, just found a few threads on modifying them as well, so i am eagerly awaiting the mail-man! As for the UM3X, yea i love them. they are not perfect but pretty close for a universal. They seem a bit muted on the high end (EQ helps a  bunch), If I could get the highs of the RE0's with the balanced and textured low/mids of the UM3X's......
The M50's seem like they will be a great phone, I was wanting to spend more on a "premium" can ($300-$500) but there are so many choises and opinions on what is "best", or I should say, what is "best for me" it makes it very stresfull trying to decide on the right one. Looks like the M50 will allow me to try a "really good" can, as well as tune it to find my perticular sound signature. It should give me (hopefully) a good frame of referance to use when selecting an open can. I like the referance someone made "so the M50's seem to be the on ear equivelant to the RE0's" or something like that. cause i bought the RE0's based on all the "great sounding IEM and a great price to boot" claims and i whole heartedly agree.

They are equivalent in bang per buck but the RE0 and M50 are polar opposites in signature.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #163 of 1,431

Quote:
They are equivalent in bang per buck but the RE0 and M50 are polar opposites in signature.

Yea, kinda figured that just reading about the bassy nature and recessed mids of the M50, the RE0s absolutelly shine in the midrange and sparkle on the highs, but the low end requires quite a bit (ok, a lot) of EQing and is still not quite as well presented as the UM3X's. The RE0's do love my recently built CMOYBB, but I'm still swapping opamps to optomize it. Waiting on a few more opamps to arive, ut thus far it is a good little amp, and powerfull with the right opamp, but not quite as clear and open as the mini3. But boy does it do a jo on the RE0's!

Anyway, back to your point, I kinda figure the M50 will be a bit more like the UM3X, with slightly recessed highs but stronger low end ( i imagine them being closer to the similar W3 with its low end bump )  But I think i will like the M50 sound sig, me leaning twards being a bass head and all. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #164 of 1,431
I freaking love these cans. Straight out of the box, they sound amazing. What would be an approximate IEM equivalent of these?

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #165 of 1,431

Quote:
I freaking love these cans. Straight out of the box, they sound amazing. What would be an approximate IEM equivalent of these?

Monster MD or Radius DDM closest I have heard.  SM3 is a variation on a theme and dependant on tips and ears.  None of them will match the M50 though in the end, at least in overall ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back