The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jan 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #452 of 1,431

Quote:
time to get a soudncard then
Im  porbably getting an asus xonar d1

Hmm... possibly.
Distortion is an odd thing. Like sibilance, it can be caused by many things... including your own ears. I know that certain frequencies will cause a painful resonance in my ears that I am extremely sensitive to.
That, however is probably not what's going on here.
Anything in the chain can be causing this, from the original files, to the M50 itself, and while I haven't read many reports about problematic cans, I'm sure like anything else, a bad set is possible.
Since it seems 'Left' oriented only, have you tried flipping them around just to eliminate your own ear?
Have you listened to a Mono recording (or somehow switching an amp to mono) to be sure the same signal is being put to each side? How about other rigs... have you tried them on a friend's system to eliminate the M50 as the issue?

Once you eliminate your own ears / cans, then yes... the rig or parts thereof would be the next place to look. My Xonar STX is amazing, and I can certainly recommend that, but there is also the option of an external DAC/amp. Can you output a digital feed (S/PDIF) either coax or optical (Toslink) from your computer? I do that with my laptop and feed my DAC1 with an optical-digital feed. The sound is amazing.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're having issues, and there are so many variables, it's hard to know which one could be causing the problem.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #455 of 1,431
rare to find cans that exceed their value.  

love them.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #456 of 1,431
im deciding on the m50 or ultrasone pro 750 or hfi 780..
 any help
my music is rock dubstep electronic and lil of hip hop

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #458 of 1,431

Quote:
Anything in the chain can be causing this, from the original files, to the M50 itself, and while I haven't read many reports about problematic cans, I'm sure like anything else, a bad set is possible.
Since it seems 'Left' oriented only, have you tried flipping them around just to eliminate your own ear?
Have you listened to a Mono recording (or somehow switching an amp to mono) to be sure the same signal is being put to each side? How about other rigs... have you tried them on a friend's system to eliminate the M50 as the issue?

it´s only  the left headphone that has static and distortion and i hear static even when the headphone is only plugged in in some devices.
When they are done burning in i will try to go to a music shop or something and try them on some nice dacs , if the problem persists im going to RMA them.

Quote:
Once you eliminate your own ears / cans, then yes... the rig or parts thereof would be the next place to look. My Xonar STX is amazing, and I can certainly recommend that, but there is also the option of an external DAC/amp.

I don´t think it´s my ears because the distrotion is quite easy to spot , i was listening to trance fusion which is a 2006 remastered frank zappa album and eventhough the guitar was grungy you could easily listen the phones fail to reproduce certain notes , the most notable example was when playing bc2 , every shot out of my sniper came heavily distorted.
       I also noticed that to listen to all the details in a song i have to crank up the volume of the songs to the max , if i listen to them at 50% or 65% they sound really lifeless , maybe i need an amp though.

Quote:
Can you output a digital feed (S/PDIF) either coax or optical (Toslink) from your computer? I do that with my laptop and feed my DAC1 with an optical-digital feed. The sound is amazing.

No , i don´t think so.
I cant really afford a dac , an amp and a soundcard to connect my headphones right now.I could buy just a dac like the nuforce udac but i don´t think they are sold here..
How do they sound right of your soundcard?

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #459 of 1,431

Quote:
Just randomly found this, Lupe Fiasco using M50s in the studio :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ertk19Uo

Made my day cycro. Almost makes me want to put off my upcoming iBasso purchase..

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #461 of 1,431
@Cycro, haha, I'm broke homie. I can only safely feed my addiction in $200 or less increments per month. On the OTHER hand, I REALLY wanna pick up some T50RP's..

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #462 of 1,431
Ok so i tried the m50´s out with an ipod  ( the one with a pedometer and webcamera) . I played some ironmaiden 320 kpbs mp3 files .
there was no apparent distortion but the static on the left headphone persisted ( im going to trade them in for a new pair)
The quality was ok , the guitar and bass sounded good but the cymbals clashing soounded dreadful but this par only has 7 hours of burn in
What worried me was the fact that the volume on thes ehadphones was way way too low , i heard that a sansa clip can power these cans to an
ear splitting level , the same should aplly with an 150 dollar ipod .
They are striking me as quite hard to drive

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #464 of 1,431

Quote:
I agree, on my iPod as well, the M50 can not be driven to earsplitting levels at all.

Zowie ! You must have some very indelicate eardrums.
wink_face.gif

I turn my iPods up about 1/3 and it's more than loud enough for me. 2/3 is way too loud. But my 'files' may be louder than yours.

Quote:

I cant really afford a dac , an amp and a soundcard to connect my headphones right now.I could buy just a dac like the nuforce udac but i don´t think they are sold here..
How do they sound right of your soundcard?

Out of my Xonar STX the M50 sound great....
atsmile.gif
  It has more than enough to power these or my DT880 / 600 Ohm.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #465 of 1,431
It's only a 1st GEN ipod Nano, and the mp3s aren't top quality, I admit that. Maybe thats the problem.
And my ears are fine, i just had them tested before getting custom earplugs. I'm very careful with my hearing
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Zowie ! You must have some very indelicate eardrums.
wink_face.gif

I turn my iPods up about 1/3 and it's more than loud enough for me. 2/3 is way too loud. But my 'files' may be louder than yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back