The Audio Lounge
May 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #30,032 of 36,260
giphy.gif

1625028163_1344329_gif-url.gif

trump-sad.gif

May 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #30,035 of 36,260
Has anyone tried MS Windows 11 yet?

Is there anything really worthwhile about upgrading from 10 to 11?

I've had Windows 11 on all of my PC's since last year and I'm a fan. It's a better looking Windows for sure, but it's also a bit better optimized and runs smoother. The bigger benefit to the OS for me is Android app integration. Amazon appstore is available through the Microsoft store, and you can always sideload using ADB so you have pretty much any Android app available without having to run a separate emulator like BlueStacks.

The Start button in the middle took a quick second to get used to, but it just feels so much better to me now. Here is the look of 11 on my gaming laptop.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 123659.png

The stock Windows 11 Start menu is about the only thing I didn't like. So I ended up getting an app from Stardock called Start 11 that allows you to customize it in a ton of ways.

Stock Start menu:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 124028.png

Start 11 customized Start menu:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 124138.png

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #30,036 of 36,260
Aw crap, I missed the 2000 page party, haven't been here in such a long time, hope everyone's been having a good time!

My computer won't go to Windows 11 (at least not via autoupdate) cuz the core of it is 9 years old. Ah yes, back in the day when 4c/8t was the top of the pile.

Beautiful R34 Skyline you've got there as your desktop background @OldDude04. Is that a street photo or a render? I don't have anything good-looking from reality, I've gotta make it work with nice cars from the virtual world :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, for anyone that recognizes me, haven't gotten anything new in the audio space for years until recently. Just got a set of Sony WF-1000XM4s. Atrocious name, quite acceptable otherwise. Sound signature is very much a V, but it's a pretty quality V at least. The noise canceling is fantastic to have walking around and I certainly don't miss wires. Nice convenient device for work and the commute. Doesn't get close audio-wise to my old 64Audio U6 of course, but I'll be one happy guy the day wireless audio can match that. It would be convenience and sound quality all at once which just isn't yet something that I feel we've achieved yet.

Someone needs to make TWS IEMs with ANC on par with Bose/Sony, but with universal custom shell molds like what a lot of Chinese IEM makers use. These current Sony ones I bought just need concave shaping in 3 spots and they'd be the best on the market on ergonomics alone without even factoring in their ANC prowess.

May 17, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #30,037 of 36,260
Hey @Midgetguy! It's been a minute or seven, lol. How is everything?

My computer won't go to Windows 11 (at least not via autoupdate) cuz the core of it is 9 years old. Ah yes, back in the day when 4c/8t was the top of the pile.

Windows 11 is better than 10 but only slightly really, not anything drastic you'll be missing.

Beautiful R34 Skyline you've got there as your desktop background @OldDude04. Is that a street photo or a render? I don't have anything good-looking from reality, I've gotta make it work with nice cars from the virtual world :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's a real car photo, but not one I took. I found it at a wallpaper website and I'm a sucker for a Midnight Purple III painted R34.

Anyway, for anyone that recognizes me, haven't gotten anything new in the audio space for years until recently. Just got a set of Sony WF-1000XM4s. Atrocious name, quite acceptable otherwise. Sound signature is very much a V, but it's a pretty quality V at least. The noise canceling is fantastic to have walking around and I certainly don't miss wires. Nice convenient device for work and the commute. Doesn't get close audio-wise to my old 64Audio U6 of course, but I'll be one happy guy the day wireless audio can match that. It would be convenience and sound quality all at once which just isn't yet something that I feel we've achieved yet.

Someone needs to make TWS IEMs with ANC on par with Bose/Sony, but with universal custom shell molds like what a lot of Chinese IEM makers use. These current Sony ones I bought just need concave shaping in 3 spots and they'd be the best on the market on ergonomics alone without even factoring in their ANC prowess.

Glad you found some wireless that you're enjoying with the Sony set. I still haven't made that move because I agree with you that we aren't at a place that wireless sound comes close to wired. I'm looking forward to when it does though.

May 17, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #30,038 of 36,260
Hey @Midgetguy! It's been a minute or seven, lol. How is everything?

Windows 11 is better than 10 but only slightly really, not anything drastic you'll be missing.

It's a real car photo, but not one I took. I found it at a wallpaper website and I'm a sucker for a Midnight Purple III painted R34.

Glad you found some wireless that you're enjoying with the Sony set. I still haven't made that move because I agree with you that we aren't at a place that wireless sound comes close to wired. I'm looking forward to when it does though.
Nice cars…. Just a bit out of my price range though. $320,000+ You can buy a new one for 1/3rd the price. If that’s better or not, I don’t know.

Check this vspec out http://www.speedhunters.com/2021/07/r34-gt-r-v-spec/

May 17, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #30,039 of 36,260
Nice cars…. Just a bit out of my price range though. $320,000+ You can buy a new one for 1/3rd the price. If that’s better or not, I don’t know.

Check this vspec out http://www.speedhunters.com/2021/07/r34-gt-r-v-spec/

Oh yeah, they are gorgeous, but I wouldn't pay half that for one. I could just get a lightly used R8 for between $100k to $150k, even in this crazy car market.

May 17, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #30,040 of 36,260
Oh yeah, they are gorgeous, but I wouldn't pay half that for one. I could just get a lightly used R8 for between $100k to $150k, even in this crazy car market.
That’s what I would buy if I was going to spend that kind of money on a car. Usually one of the fastest cars out there even against multi-million dollar cars. The only issue I have with the R8 is the space for the driver and passenger. I drove one and I felt like a sardine in a sardine can. Could barely move around. I’ma big guy though.

May 17, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #30,042 of 36,260
That’s what I would buy if I was going to spend that kind of money on a car. Usually one of the fastest cars out there even against multi-million dollar cars. The only issue I have with the R8 is the space for the driver and passenger. I drove one and I felt like a sardine in a sardine can. Could barely move around. I’ma big guy though.

I've driven a manual V8 R8 and a V10 DCT and I'm 6'3". I agree it isn't the most comfortable car overall, but it is one of the roomiest high end sports cars/supercars. I sat in a Lambo Huracan which is built on the same platform as the newer R8's but is so much tighter inside. I felt almost trapped when I closed the door, lol.

May 17, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #30,044 of 36,260
I've driven a manual V8 R8 and a V10 DCT and I'm 6'3". I agree it isn't the most comfortable car overall, but it is one of the roomiest high end sports cars/supercars. I sat in a Lambo Huracan which is built on the same platform as the newer R8's but is so much tighter inside. I felt almost trapped when I closed the door, lol.
Same thing with the Ferrari Testarossa. I road in one back in the 80s. I was a lot smaller then. Didn’t drink as much beer, none that is.

May 17, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #30,045 of 36,260
What is this? Y’all need to get yourself the full dCS stack or MSB Select before wasting money on cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back