The Audio Lounge
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #11,133 of 36,260
My brother worked in Saudi Arabia for many years. One time when returning from vacation he forgot a bag at the phone kiosk (that's how long ago it was) in the
Riyadh airport. He could not return for a week. When he did, it was right where he left it, untouched.

That's pretty sweet. In general, wouldn't it be nice if all the people did that for wanting to do the right thing? And not just because they were afraid of the consequences (court or worse)?

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #11,134 of 36,260
Don't know who else in hear backed the Eoz Air, but that was interesting news yesterday regarding the swap from Qualcomm to Realtek for bluetooth. Doesn't make a huge difference to me as I will be using them with an ipod / iphone and so wouldn't be able to use Aptx, what do others think of this change? Any idea on what codec they will be using instead?

Edit: Looks like they'll be using SBC instead of Aptx which from a pure bit rate point of view looks like it has a similar level, however I'm curious what others think?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #11,135 of 36,260
WOD:
Challenging one today! Only one from me:

This is so funny though. I was looking at this song yesterday, and would love to share it with you all, but I was thinking "this will never come up in the WOD!" :D

A cheeky bonus one (but a good one!):

I second that e-MOTION :p

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #11,136 of 36,260
OK, so I got the Mee Audio M6 Pro 2nd gen's (clear version) from Amazon UK. Problem was that _none_ of the included tips gave me a proper seal, including the Comply ones. I must have unusual ear canals. In fairness I needed aftermarket ones for the Easy UES too, and that has a larger nozzle. So I got some Ebay tips today, and now they work (cool).

So, before I had the good tips they did sound pretty balanced, but seemed excessive in the upper-mids, a bit harsh. But this was either due to not having a proper seal, or needing a bit of burn-in, because they already sounded better even without a good seal a bit later. And I didn't listen to them enough to get used to them at that point. Strange, maybe some in-ear resonance thing from not being in the right spot.

Anyway, they're nice and small - also useful if I ever get a custom mold, or do my own, something I tried before a few years ago. So they won't stick out so much.

Isolation seems OK, bass is strong but without being overpowering or bloated, a bit of a sub-woofer vibe (which I have in my studio) but not hyped. They don't have a massive treble rolloff like the UES, and they do seem quite balanced without any harshness. Not super-refined in the mids -> top, a bit 'flat' sounding (ie. not super-dynamic or sparkly) but hardly expected at this price. But most importantly, they have exactly the sound signature I need without EQ and the cable is pretty good (from the little I've used) - exactly what I was after.

Headfi does it again. Thanks guys.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #11,137 of 36,260
But most importantly, they have exactly the sound signature I need without EQ and the cable is pretty good (from the little I've used) - exactly what I was after..

.. oh, and I just realised I might be able to use EQ after all. I can see another correction coming on (see my sig). Hey you can always make things better right (and I'm a control freak :)).

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #11,138 of 36,260
Don't know who else in hear backed the Eoz Air, but that was interesting news yesterday regarding the swap from Qualcomm to Realtek for bluetooth. Doesn't make a huge difference to me as I will be using them with an ipod / iphone and so wouldn't be able to use Aptx, what do others think of this change? Any idea on what codec they will be using instead?

Edit: Looks like they'll be using SBC instead of Aptx which from a pure bit rate point of view looks like it has a similar level, however I'm curious what others think?
I am also a backer and did so based on Aptx HD. I get I may not be able to discern the difference in most conditions but never the less it was one of the reasons I bit. To me it won't matter as I wanted these first for going on vacation in June based on the original April ship date so they miserably failed on that, second shot was a gift for my son on his birthday in August fail again, now no HD so honestly these will be a curiosity piece for me and honestly doubt I will be using them much at all. FYI I will be an Android or Windows based user.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #11,139 of 36,260
I am also a backer and did so based on Aptx HD. I get I may not be able to discern the difference in most conditions but never the less it was one of the reasons I bit. To me it won't matter as I wanted these first for going on vacation in June based on the original April ship date so they miserably failed on that, second shot was a gift for my son on his birthday in August fail again, now no HD so honestly these will be a curiosity piece for me and honestly doubt I will be using them much at all. FYI I will be an Android or Windows based user.
I can understand people's frustrations. My phone is currently Android (though looking to change) and I have a laptop I occasionally use bluetooth with and as such Aptx would have been nice. I can almost see there point on Aptx HD not being originally promised (though comments sure made it look like it was becoming an added feature), but not shipping with an advertised feature I can understand why so many people are annoyed over this.

I'll predominantly be using whilst running and I normally listen to audio books whilst doing that, but I am unusual in that respect.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #11,140 of 36,260
WOD: Fire

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #11,141 of 36,260
I can understand people's frustrations. My phone is currently Android (though looking to change) and I have a laptop I occasionally use bluetooth with and as such Aptx would have been nice. I can almost see there point on Aptx HD not being originally promised (though comments sure made it look like it was becoming an added feature), but not shipping with an advertised feature I can understand why so many people are annoyed over this.

I'll predominantly be using whilst running and I normally listen to audio books whilst doing that, but I am unusual in that respect.
I'll find a use for them, just the immediate uses and time frames brought up 2 good times for me but those have gone by. I still may give them to my son he can use them in his classroom when he has some free time away from students, he's a teacher and peace and quiet are sought after. Audio books is a great idea actually especially for him.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #11,142 of 36,260
And just because

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #11,144 of 36,260

Doesn't matter at all to me. There was always going to be some sort of compromise with a totally wireless solution anyway so if the end product sounds decent enough, then I don't care too much. If they sound better than the Bragi Headphone I've been using for my commuting, then I'll be happy regardless the codec. But I understand why people are frustrated with this bit of news. A feature was advertised and just before the product ships, you're told it's a different spec that doesn't include that advertised feature. It's like (for anyone who's somewhat familiar with knife steels) if you buy a knife that's advertised as 440C, but when you get it, it's clearly listed and specced as 440A. By the numbers and supposedly by usage as well, there won't be a huge difference between the two, but the fact that it was advertised with one thing and came shipped with something else isn't a very nice outcome.

Reminds me of that one other company we saw here before that advertised a thing and shipped out something else.... Tentatively Advertised Estimations? That Advertised Emptiness? Three Abhorrent Entities? Terrible Audio Enterprise? Ugh, the abbreviation was TAE, but I can't for the life of me remember what that company was! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back