The Audio Lounge
Jun 10, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #7,981 of 36,260
Hidiz Sonata HD has arrived:

Carrying case (nice unexpected touch)

20180610_164623.jpg

Sonata HD including USB-C to USB-A adapter to use on PC'S:

20180610_164611.jpg

Build quality is nice and solid for both connectors. Metal chassis over the 3.5mm jack. USB-C connector is snug, albeit a little long. The only element about build quality that bothers me a bit is the wiring. It's a 4 wire and really flexible, but due to the weight of the connectors, I feel it gives it a slight tug that might damage it over time.

When plugged in, it detects as a power supply on the v30. Once I plug in IEM's, it triggers google now?! How odd. I was expecting this to detect as a DAC... No biggie, as sound works anyway.

Ran this on my v30 and compared with the DAC... Other than slightly less detailed lows, sound is pretty much on par with the sabre DAC. Sound is clear, max volume is about 25% more powerful than the normal mode of the v30's DAC, which is surprising. Reproduction is faithful, no crazy peaks anywhere with the R1's.

Next step will be testing it on my laptop with the adapter. :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #7,982 of 36,260
Well, seems things have taken a turn for me and I'm not happy. What I thought was a passing ear infection has not gone away and now has become painful in certain situations. Unfortunately, listening to music is painful. I have plans to see my doctor in the next day or so. I'm hopeful that it is just a viral something aggravated by the vast amount of pollen we've seen as of late. My fear is that it is more than that, tinnitus? I would hate to have to deal with that. I thought I had been practicing safe sound but from the exposure I got when I was young (many concerts with no ear plugs) to the ever gradual goosing of the volume that happens from time to time may have caught up with me. If the doctor cannot find any problem, I will be seeing an audiologist for further examination.

Any one here with tinnitus? How do you cope with listing to headphones and IEMs? Do you still enjoy listening, maybe just shorter sessions or limited content?
I'll report back with what happens in the next couple days. Think of uplifting, positive mojo for me.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #7,983 of 36,260
And....as things go, I did just join on the TFZ Queen IEM purchase on MD and purchased a new cable for the Andromeda. After I see the ear doctor, I may need some therapy for purchases...

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #7,984 of 36,260
Well, seems things have taken a turn for me and I'm not happy. What I thought was a passing ear infection has not gone away and now has become painful in certain situations. Unfortunately, listening to music is painful. I have plans to see my doctor in the next day or so. I'm hopeful that it is just a viral something aggravated by the vast amount of pollen we've seen as of late. My fear is that it is more than that, tinnitus? I would hate to have to deal with that. I thought I had been practicing safe sound but from the exposure I got when I was young (many concerts with no ear plugs) to the ever gradual goosing of the volume that happens from time to time may have caught up with me. If the doctor cannot find any problem, I will be seeing an audiologist for further examination.

Any one here with tinnitus? How do you cope with listing to headphones and IEMs? Do you still enjoy listening, maybe just shorter sessions or limited content?
I'll report back with what happens in the next couple days. Think of uplifting, positive mojo for me.

Hey, tinnitus sufferer here. Honestly, unless you have buzzing/ringing, I don't think I can really give any insight. Honestly, it has never been painful for me. It was really unnerving and made me crazy/depressed at times. I learned to control it with hypnotherapy, eating habits and controlling my stress level... Now I hardly hear it unless I listen for it. Only time I get spikes is when I listen to certain IEM's like the 1060c or cheap dynamic drivers. I found IEM's that reduced fatigue and ringing though (64 audio with Apex module and the r1's in open back). Lots of ways to cope with tinnitus... Pain was never something I had to deal with. But I read that untreated infections can lead to tinnitus, so good thing you're consulting a doctor. :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #7,985 of 36,260
@Karendar -thanks for the support. If it does fall to tinnitus, I guess a lifestyle change would be in order...

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #7,986 of 36,260
@Karendar -thanks for the support. If it does fall to tinnitus, I guess a lifestyle change would be in order...

Don't worry about losing music... You won't :) It's just an adjustment. But positive thoughts unless you know for sure it's tinnitus. If you need any further help or advice, feel free.

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #7,991 of 36,260

I had a blocked ear last year, never had that before and went totally deaf in that ear. The buzzing, humming and ringing was driving me insane. I couldn’t even have a conversation without getting distracted by the noises in my ear. Had been to the doctors, got the obligatory drops and an antibiotic to hopefully sort it out.
I really thought I was going to be left with tinnitus, but after almost two months my ear is fine. While your suffering, it seems to take forever to feel any improvement, but when you do, what a relief.
The only treatment available here for tinnitus is counselling, I’m not the kind of person to go down that route but when my ear was making those weird sounds....I’d take the counselling in a heartbeat!!!
My sympathies to all tinnitus sufferers, hope your ear gets sorted soon and you can get those Andro’s back in eh

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #7,992 of 36,260

I have moderate bilateral tinnitus. The only time I have had pain was when I had an ear infection. Mine can last for a couple of weeks, FWIW. I always go back to baseline, thankfully. As far as listening goes, I listen at modest volume levels and for limited time periods. I didn't notice it until I read your post and it came into my consciousness. Volume levels seem to be key for me. You should see an ENT if at all possible. You need an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back