The Audio Lounge
May 29, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,742 of 36,260
Well I haven't heard them yet but I read that the slight increase was still only slight??? But I will find out and if I don't like I may try the er4sr.
Yeah that's the point, it's very slightly above iem neutral. However, I, like a few other reviewers find that this slight boost is actually closer to speaker neutral as the boost compensates for the lack of bone conduction speaker bass has.

May 29, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #7,743 of 36,260
Yeah that's the point, it's very slightly above iem neutral. However, I, like a few other reviewers find that this slight boost is actually closer to speaker neutral as the boost compensates for the lack of bone conduction speaker bass has.

Maybe I would prefer the er4sr then but hey I will try them see how I feel.

May 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #7,744 of 36,260
Maybe I would prefer the er4sr then but hey I will try them see how I feel.
I would recommend you try everything you can get your hands on first then getting the best instead of getting something straight away just because it sounds good enough. Other gear might sound better.

May 29, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #7,745 of 36,260
I would recommend you try everything you can get your hands on first then getting the best instead of getting something straight away just because it sounds good enough. Other gear might sound better.

Well limited trying here my friend and I will try the etys anyway .

Also I believe a lot in brain burn in as well as burn in , I have tried a few iems that I didn't like at first but after a while have grown me and I actually have ended up liking a lot more than others.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #7,746 of 36,260
Haha, I know what you mean. Personally my favourite is the feel of the rumble.

Edit : I actually got a diy push-pull subwoofer after reading that the CKR9 design was based on subwoofers. They sound incredible :D

The CKR9s had a very tactile sound that exceeded most gear I've heard. You could feel the sound. I guess you can call it impactful. Maybe that's why I don't like smooth sounding gear.

But the CKR9s have been dethroned recently by the Hifiman Sundaras and Echobox Finders in that department. Both are very articulate and realistic sounding.

As much as as I like the CKR9s though, it wasn't perfect. It lacked a bit of detail and treble extension. I do feel that the Finders are better overall. It's bass may not go as deep nor is it as controlled but it has better treble. The Sundaras lack the weight and power of the CKR9s in the bass but exceed it in every other way. The instrument separation is the best I've heard. I'd say HD800 level but not as thin sounding.
A push/pull subwoofer eh? Interesting! Definitely haven't com across one of those, but I do run a dual-woofer sub in my 2.1 desk speaker setup. It's a testament to my preference of a little warmth in my sound: TEAC AI-301DA feeding a set of Monitor Audio Silver 1s with a Pinnacle Audio Baby Boomer. Not sure how the sub would do in a larger room, but in a bedroom, the dual 8-inch woofers do quite a bit of work :D

The 2Cs were quite warm and dark imo. Darker than the HD650. The Sundaras should be closer to the HD600s though its likely brighter.
Can't attest to the whether the LCD2 is dark, but was certainly warmer than the HD600s, that's for sure.

Well by the sounds of it they have a few sent back lol....but that doesn't mean I won't like them as they are not for bass heads/pretty neutral and I can imagine a few not liking them .
The ER4 has an "it" factor. Just about any product I've known about that has been around for a long time has a certain "it" factor to it. HD600 has a certain wonderful mix of tone and this naturalness (to me at least) and the ER4 series has been well-known to be the flat ruler of IEMs, with a few variants that add just a couple tiny ripples to that sound.

May 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #7,747 of 36,260
A push/pull subwoofer eh? Interesting! Definitely haven't com across one of those, but I do run a dual-woofer sub in my 2.1 desk speaker setup. It's a testament to my preference of a little warmth in my sound: TEAC AI-301DA feeding a set of Monitor Audio Silver 1s with a Pinnacle Audio Baby Boomer. Not sure how the sub would do in a larger room, but in a bedroom, the dual 8-inch woofers do quite a bit of work :D

Can't attest to the whether the LCD2 is dark, but was certainly warmer than the HD600s, that's for sure.

The ER4 has an "it" factor. Just about any product I've known about that has been around for a long time has a certain "it" factor to it. HD600 has a certain wonderful mix of tone and this naturalness (to me at least) and the ER4 series has been well-known to be the flat ruler of IEMs, with a few variants that add just a couple tiny ripples to that sound.

For info about push/pull designs, do some reading about Isobaric Loudspeakers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker

May 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #7,748 of 36,260

I'm actually realy looking forward to trying them partly because I have looked at er4 variants a lot over the years and always wondered about them, I think you either love em or hate em, can't wait to find out.

May 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #7,749 of 36,260
I just want to give a little shout out to ifi and their iDSD Nano Black Label. I haven't really used it for anything but my full size cans up to now. I decided to give my KZ ZS10s a spin on it. Wow.. what an awesome source. That iEMatch output is DEAD SILENT and sounds fantastic. I can tell I'm going to have to spend more time with my IEMs on this thing.

Bravo ifi.

May 29, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #7,751 of 36,260
We had a torrential downpour but as live on a road that runs down to the Thames the water was like a river, but all's well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back