The Audio Lounge
May 20, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #7,396 of 36,357
I don't think there's a perfect. Could probably find something really good, but it will always lack in some area compared to another product, no matter how good it is. I think the old phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" still holds true; the perfect product would have to be master of all trades and I don't think that can or ever will exist.

On a somewhat similar note, can anyone give me a grant for about $7 million to help investigate the items from this page? Much appreciated :p

I agree about the jack of all trades statement think this hobby can be a right rabbit hole if you let it i.e constantly chasing rainbows so I try to curb it.
Also if I'm being honest I'm not one for studying frequency curves or too much technicality etc etc, it's not that I don't understand it's more that for me I think if I start to over analyse which I can do at times then I'm not enjoying what bought me here in the first place i.e the music.
I do want to say though if it wasn't for the guys that do enjoy studying that side of things then a lot of information wouldn't be there for informed purchases so I do respect them but for me I like to just listen and see what I think.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #7,397 of 36,357
I don't think there's a perfect. Could probably find something really good, but it will always lack in some area compared to another product, no matter how good it is. I think the old phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" still holds true; the perfect product would have to be master of all trades and I don't think that can or ever will exist.
You can have a master of all trades but it will only be applicable to yourself. Others may find it lacking but if you think its perfect then it's perfect.

Audio has no absolutes. One man's TOTL may be another man's trash. And believe me I've heard a lot of those. Namely Final Audio Design IEMs.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #7,398 of 36,357
I agree about the jack of all trades statement think this hobby can be a right rabbit hole if you let it i.e constantly chasing rainbows so I try to curb it.
Also if I'm being honest I'm not one for studying frequency curves or too much technicality etc etc, it's not that I don't understand it's more that for me I think if I start to over analyse which I can do at times then I'm not enjoying what bought me here in the first place i.e the music.
I do want to say though if it wasn't for the guys that do enjoy studying that side of things then a lot of information wouldn't be there for informed purchases so I do respect them but for me I like to just listen and see what I think.
Measurements I've seen don't tell crap about audio. A Sine sweep isn't able to properly quantify a headphones frequency response imo. Normal music isn't just one frequency playing at a constant gain, its multiple frequencies playing together at different gains. Similar to how a bump in the lower frequencies may cause the treble to be less prominent when you listen but it doesn't show up in measurements.

The only useful measurements I think are the impedance curves.

May 20, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #7,399 of 36,357
You can have a master of all trades but it will only be applicable to yourself. Others may find it lacking but if you think its perfect then it's perfect.

Audio has no absolutes. One man's TOTL may be another man's trash. And believe me I've heard a lot of those.

Very true , it's all down to personal preference in this hobby all anyone can do is advise/ express there opinion.

May 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #7,400 of 36,357
Measurements I've seen don't tell crap about audio. A Sine sweep isn't able to properly quantify a headphones frequency response imo. Normal music isn't just one frequency playing at a constant gain, its multiple frequencies playing together at different gains. Similar to how a bump in the lower frequencies may cause the treble to be less prominent when you listen but it doesn't show up in measurements.

The only useful measurements I think are the impedance curves.

I have read a few reviews where they have said the measurements appear different to what they have heard and also I read recently in tyll hertsens review of etymotic er4xr about how the fit in an ear canal/chamber affects sound i.e we all have different sizes and shapes so the overall sound will alter, at least that was the gist I think of what he was saying, was very interesting.

May 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #7,401 of 36,357
Anyone have any suggestions for eartips? Currently using Comply T400 M. Seems like only foam tips fit me well, however everyone knows the trade-off for foams, are there any hybrids that might work?

I have the exact opposite problem. I can never seem to find a foam tip with a decent seal that doesn't start hurting after 15-20 minutes.

For silicone I use the Sony hybrid or the newer black KZ starline on pretty much everything. The older KZ starlines that are made of a translucent smoky gray material are OK, but they aren't as soft and flexible as the new solid black ones.

May 22, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #7,410 of 36,357
Hahaha good one , fingers crossed my ibasso it01 are in working order as there was only one pair left when I reordered, yes they will get more stock but could do without the hassle.

Just wear gloves and only look at them in your peripheral vision, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back