The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #6,976 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seemed he wasn't in favor of the mods, and stressed just giving them time to mature. I think the Denon's synergize very well with the A-GD gear, and overall I think they are really nice closed cans. For now, I'm just letting the Denon's mature and I'm enjoying the ride...

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I left my D2000's alone until they had over 600hrs, and really liked them as is. But the MarkL mods are cheap if you DIY and completely reversible, so I decided to try them. I did the partial mods and I really liked the change in bass, a noticable tightning. Its still there but its more under control now. This gives the cans a better balance overall and improves the imaging.

I also just recently made a cheap replacement cable from Mogami mini star quad, due mostly to needing a slightly longer cable than stock. I was quite surprised that I could clearly hear an improvement in the high frequencies, a little smoother and more detailed. My wife even noticed the change. I was so excited by this I might try making another style cable just to compare the results.

My point is to not be afraid to experiment with mods, let your ears be your guide, just make sure you can undo the mod if you don't like it.

Mark

May 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #6,977 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's odd quoting myself, but I just saw a very interesting article on the topic of jitter by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio in the May/June 2009 issue of Positive Feedback. It's the most thoughtful and intelligent discussion of the topic that I have seen, stripping away the usual audiophile bombast. While Nugent certainly advocates for reducing jitter as much as possible, he cites subjective listening tests in which, "the majority could not hear any difference between the tracks, even though the jitter ranged from 0 ns to 1000 ns." [Jitter is usually measured in "ps" or picoseconds, so 1000 nanoseconds would be an immense amount of jitter.] Nugent's position is that the tests show, "just how unresolving most audiophile systems are," and that it would take a trained ear to hear the effects of jitter. He even notes that in some cases, jitter could have a modest beneficial effect on sound, similar to that of adding dither.

I was just going to say that. Quoting yourself is a sign of Schizophrenia!

I've read a lot about the "perception" of jitter.

With Today's gear, someone who starts analyzing gear and mentioning Jitter should be strongly subjected to cross examination for BS coefficient.

May 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #6,978 of 7,725
I think quoting yourself....akin to talking to yourself...is supposedly a sign of intelligence. However, if you start answering yourself, it's a sign you're as crazy as a sh_thouse rat!
tongue.gif

May 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #6,979 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think quoting yourself....akin to talking to yourself...is supposedly a sign of intelligence. However, if you start answering yourself, it's a sign you're as crazy as a sh_thouse rat!
tongue.gif

I'm with ya there!

May 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #6,981 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks les_garten,

I'll keep these in mind...

I know it's kinda High $$$ but it is a great solution if you need multiple SPDIF outputs and they all need to be clean.

May 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #6,982 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's odd quoting myself, but I just saw a very interesting article on the topic of jitter by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio in the May/June 2009 issue of Positive Feedback. It's the most thoughtful and intelligent discussion of the topic that I have seen, stripping away the usual audiophile bombast. While Nugent certainly advocates for reducing jitter as much as possible, he cites subjective listening tests in which, "the majority could not hear any difference between the tracks, even though the jitter ranged from 0 ns to 1000 ns." [Jitter is usually measured in "ps" or picoseconds, so 1000 nanoseconds would be an immense amount of jitter.] Nugent's position is that the tests show, "just how unresolving most audiophile systems are," and that it would take a trained ear to hear the effects of jitter. He even notes that in some cases, jitter could have a modest beneficial effect on sound, similar to that of adding dither.

You can get an idea of how jitter sounds and whether it makes a difference in your system here (sample file downloads of various jitter levels):

The Test: Can You Hear Jitter? | Welcome to HDD audio

The second jitter test is based on a track recommended by Steve Nugent:

Is jitter audible? The jitter test 2. | Welcome to HDD audio

I'll do these tests once my Compass finishes burn-in.

May 14, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6,983 of 7,725
Awesome I ordered my compass on 5/2 and it shipped today! My first headphone amp.

On the subject of jitter I used to use a Monarchy DIP (a processor for fixing jitter issues) between my DVD Player and my Receiver and there was a definite improvement with it on or off - even my wife could hear it. The bass was tighter and cleaner. But after having it for years it shocked me a couple years ago so I threw it out (in hindsight I should have taken it apart and seen if I could find the short but that was before I found out about headphone amps etc where I could have used it - I really didn't have a use for it in my current theater setup)

May 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #6,985 of 7,725
After putting around 300 hours on the Compass and Moon (mostly in soft 2 for burn in, but sometimes putting into bright for listening) I decided to have a change and try the Earth. So now having a quick listen to Earth in Neutral.

I'd got so used to the sound of the Moon, I had forgotten how smooth it was! Obviously this is the start of burn in for the earth and I shouldn't really compare just yet but there are some things I really like about the earth right now and some things which hopefully will get better with burn in. The highs seems very detailed, and I am definitely hearing some details in songs that I hadn't heard so clearly before. I think it seems more forward than the Moon. However, at the moment the highs can be quite grainy and sometimes they seem to not have the same definition/separation as I was used to with the Moon. The bass is also similar, there seems to be plenty of it, but it doesn't seem as tight as with my Moon with 300 hours on it. I'm sure this will change over the course of the next few hundred hours. Overall I am liking the Earth though, to me it seems a little more analytical than the Moon... so I think in time I may use the Moon when I want a perhaps more warm and musical sound, whereas when I want to listen to the details more maybe I will use the Earth. With the Earth, I feel as though any hint of the much talked about darkness or "veil" of the HD650's has gone.

What are your guys thoughts about my findings? This is the first time I have written down my findings when listening to audio gear - this is only my second HP amp, I had the Zero previously. So I guess I am looking for validation... I know there is the possibility that all I have written is just nonsense!

I have been listening all the while when writing this. Its like having a brand new HP amp again! I love it
darthsmile.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #6,989 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by op2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can take a look at the Compass design here and judge for yourself.

Don't waste your time op2003...pete~ = Andrea, which means a constant and never ending circle jerk.

Peete.

May 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #6,990 of 7,725
I've finally given in to all the hype and placed an order for a Compass just to see what all the fuss is about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any impressions with Audio-Technica and the Compass?

From reading impressions, I gather that the DAC of the compass is higher performance than the amp (compared to other products). Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back