The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3,826 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by heroine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, of course my old tricks and not yours.... The difference being that yours are accepted as decent, just because your following isn't exactly composed of keen eyed people...

What A LUNATIC!!

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #3,827 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by heroine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, you again! You never get tired of this place! Why what, suggesting some good opamps that are obviously worth trying? Pleeeeeeease... It's never ever been a bad thing, in an audio forum. Am I wrong?
wink.gif

We get One Whack Job Purged and now this!! It's like a Hydra, you cut off one head and two replace it!

Never ending line of Losers...

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #3,828 of 7,725
Thought I would get one last post in this thread before it is closed.

anyone get their email confirming shipment of the next 30 yet? I had forgotten to add a opamp extension cable to my order, would suck if I didn't get it in time, due to shipping would be way more than 3USD.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #3,830 of 7,725
The Moon and Earth are equally compelling for different reasons. Out of curiosity I just tried the venerable BBOPA627BP's in the Compass and found it pleasant but lacking in quite a few areas notably a brittle edge to piano, slight roll off of the highs and a considerably flattened sound stage. The bass however is superb and tactile but lacks some speed of the HDAM's (all three). There are more differences but for brevity's sake I shall spare everyone from the details.

I've been through this routine with the Frankie and the Zero though with the obvious conclusion being no IC based OPA I've yet used (admittedly a small sampling of half dozen types) even comes close to the HDAMs. Someday that may change but for now I know what I want in there as do many others here who feel the same as I do.

As always I say experience it for yourself and you decide, for that decision ultimately makes sense only to your ears. Some generalizations can guide you towards a base SQ voicing but it's also nice to try something you'd think wouldn't fit the bill. Andrea is attempting to back up his argument with such advice but that advice is based upon a completely different DAC and as such is worthless to the Compass thread. He fails to realize this each and every time he decides to grace us with his superior wisdom.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3,831 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Moon and Earth are equally compelling for different reasons. Out of curiosity I just tried the venerable BBOPA627BP's in the Compass and found it pleasant but lacking in quite a few areas notably a brittle edge to piano, slight roll off of the highs and a considerably flattened sound stage. The bass however is superb and tactile but lacks some speed of the HDAM's (all three). There are more differences but for brevity's sake I shall spare everyone from the details.

I've been through this routine with the Frankie and the Zero though with the obvious conclusion being no IC based OPA I've yet used (admittedly a small sampling of half dozen types) even comes close to the HDAMs. Someday that may change but for now I know what I want in there as do many others here who feel the same as I do.

As always I say experience it for yourself and you decide, for that decision ultimately makes sense only to your ears. Some generalizations can guide you towards a base SQ voicing but it's also nice to try something you'd think wouldn't fit the bill. Andrea is attempting to back up his argument with such advice but that advice is based upon a completely different DAC and as such is worthless to the Compass thread. He fails to realize this each and every time he decides to grace us with his superior wisdom.

I think this is going to be predominantly the case that HDAMs will be better than ICs. I would personally peg it on the nature of the ICs. ICs are, as their name hints to, very small. I dont know specifically what process they are made on (ie 100um, 100nm, etc), but the fact that they are made in that fashion means that there is a great deal of parasitics involved. This is like an unintended capacitor or inductor is stuck into the circuit at specific locations. This can have a significant impact on the nature of the output. Granted, there is also some benefit to this, like the knee voltages (the voltages that define the saturated region of operation and cut off as can be seen in an earlier post I made on this thread back in the 50 page area) are all very close to one another for each transistor. These values are not quite as close on discretely separate transistors, this can have an effect on discretely created current mirrors, differential amplifiers, etc. which are used in the HDAMs creation. I would expect the parasitics to have a more significant effect on the purity of the sound than the knee voltage differences in discrete constructions.

I probably made not a bit of sense.
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #3,832 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Righto. Might go for a moon OPA as well then.

How do you find the HD650 plays with the compass?

650's are fabulous IMO with the Compass.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #3,833 of 7,725
Thanks dbs...that made good sense to me.

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3,834 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And there is it.......Andrea up to his old tricks.

Peete.

Glad to see nothing much changes around here!
smily_headphones1.gif
How are we all? Not had much spare time lately, but still lovin' the Compass.

The discrete OPA modules blow away all opamps, in my experience. I've never been a follower of fashion with these things... the OPA627 was loved by virtually everyone, but never worked that nicely for me. OPA827 is nicer IMO, LT1028 still does a lot of things better... but the OPA-Earth is hands-down the winner in all respects. Sun and Moon add flavours, characteristics... can be pleasing in particular setups. All are better than the silicon-sealed opamp though, and noticeably so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!

~Phewl.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #3,835 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The discrete OPA modules blow away all opamps, in my experience. I've never been a follower of fashion with these things... the OPA627 was loved by virtually everyone, but never worked that nicely for me. OPA827 is nicer IMO, LT1028 still does a lot of things better... but the OPA-Earth is hands-down the winner in all respects. Sun and Moon add flavours, characteristics... can be pleasing in particular setups. All are better than the silicon-sealed opamp though, and noticeably so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!

~Phewl.

Absolutely agreed AP....nice to see you
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #3,836 of 7,725
anyone with a burned in earth opa that they'd like to sell? ; )

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #3,837 of 7,725
I hope the Compass can arrive this week or very early next. Next week is spring break and it would be so much easier to write an in depth review then instead of when Im back to exams, projects, finals, and homework XD

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #3,838 of 7,725
I live in SW Oregon and products from audio gd take 1 week from delivery to get here. As long as post office doesnt route it through NJ, then it takes 2 weeks, lol.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #3,839 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!

~Phewl.

Glad to see you still sound the way you sounded long ago, as well. Some people never evolve.

In fact, you keep taking those 3 opamps as the reference for all chip opamps, while they absolutely aren't. The LME49860, OPA211, LME49710, to name three, are superior opamps. It's however to be noted that the LME need an extensive power supply bypassing (with high quality caps like those I've used, from Panasonic, Wima and Evox) to unleash their real potential. By experience I can assure you that without that, they sound muddier and duller than they can sound. The OPA211 is a better opamp than the duller OPA827 by far, too.

That being said, you really are half deaf if you find that the Earth "blows away" even those chips you mentioned yourself. With its distorted, hard, yet pale and gutless sound, I reckon it must win your tasteless love.
tongue_smile.gif
Just one more case of to each their own stuff.

Finally, please read majkel's big opamp review in the DIY section, just as a reminder of your severe hearing and taste limitation..

At any rate I liked the Sun V2. If it weren't "woody" (quoting majkel) in the mids, and a bit mono-tonal too, it would have possibly become my favorite opamp.

And lastly, the shame of this place of dumb overgrown children continues forever.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back