The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,401 of 7,138
Quote:
yeah the price for the rosewood ones went up to $1145.  bamboo is still $995.  expect to see variance in pricing as dealers sell out existing stock 

Did they even do anything to the new rosewood units that justifies its $150 price hike?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,404 of 7,138
Quote:
They must've updated there pads a bit or maybe it's just a new pad. I've never worn an HD650 where it had new earpads installed. So that's saying something. 

I wouldn't say congested but you have distinguish which iteration of the HD650 you are listening and comparing with. Sennheiser updated the driver filters in the capsule housing for there 580/600 and 650 models in 2007. The older 650 was very dark sounding and veiled sounding. The HD650's are known for not being congested at all even though there soundstage is quite limited to just a narrow auditorium, the LCD2's still take the cake of laid back, warm and dark. You can easily bring out the treble and highs from the 650 by using proper amplification, one of the few can's that takes complete advantage of amplification offering a night and day difference depending on what you throw at it. 

I owned both and ended up selling LCD-2.2, even though they seem to be more technically capable, HD650 while having pretty close signature overall, wins hands down in comfort department. I also liked soundstage and instruments positioning out of HD650 better.
Old with new HD650 story is the difference between worn out and new pads, Senns also started stuffing them with firmer foam which adds more treble sparkle.
Check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/11520#post_9299137, I've experienced that "treble/soundstage transformation" after installing new pads first hand. In fact after that they got sooo darn good I am barely touching any other phones.
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4,405 of 7,138
Looking at the pictures of the Rosewood, it does seem more classy and expensive looking than the Bamboo. As stated before, the bamboo looks like printed vinyl in comparison to what I've seen of the Rosewood.

I didn't get the LCD2 for it's looks though, so bamboo is perfectly fine.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #4,406 of 7,138
Bamboo looks way better than Rosewood in person, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back