The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #5,987 of 7,138
Try bring everything from 1khz towards bass down 1db and see how you go.  This should make the transition easier...take off another db until you think you have a good balance you like - this is called shelving.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #5,989 of 7,138
Hi guys

Just want to know your opinions about pairing lcd2 rev3 to graham slee ultra linear

Thanks

Just for info

I have a lcd 2 bamboo from october 10 th 2012 it's rev 2 or 3 ??????

What is rev 3 differences with lcd 2.2 ?

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #5,990 of 7,138
Just for info

I have a lcd 2 bamboo from october 10 th 2012 it's rev 2 or 3 ??????

What is rev 3 differences with lcd 2.2 ?

Errr i dont really know
I've just tried 3 kind of lcd2 (maybe there is 4 kinds)
1 the first lcd2 the wood is different , darker color , sounds darker than the other also
2 lcd2 rev1 i never heard the sound, i never see, but i heard the jack is straight down (not angle jack)
3 lcd2 rev2 sounds much more open than the no1 lcd. As i remember the jack is already angle, not straight down
4 lcd2 rev3 sounds little more open and little better in treble extension than the rev2 , the jack is angle , there is bamboo version

I dont know the rev2 if they make the bamboo version

I never heard the bamboo version, but my friends said that the rosewood version sounds little "steady" than the bamboo. I dont know how to explain in english. But the seller also said that the rosewood sells better than the bamboo
I never try the bamboo so i cant describe how the different

About the amp
I tried wa6se and the lcd2, it sounds good, i think they pair very good
I think maybe spl phonitor would be great for lcd2 but i never had a chance to try them

I have a graham slee ultra linear
I paired it with lcd2 but i think there is something missing
I think the amp have not enough current power to drive the lcd
The gain power is more than enough (plus dacport through my laptop)

Thats why i want to hear your opinion about the pairing with graham slee ultra linear
And maybe a solution to make it sounds better than it is? Hehe

Sorry for my very bad english

Thank you

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #5,991 of 7,138
Ok
The plugs (in the cups) are blacks and angled so I guess it's rev 3

I checked to find the differences and it seems to be no changes on the drivers just cosmetics (black angled jack)
Bamboo vs rosewood is also a big question, lots of people on HF say the only differences are the weight and the color of the wood

Never heard rosewoods , they look nice !

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,992 of 7,138
Ok
The plugs (in the cups) are blacks and angled so I guess it's rev 3

I checked to find the differences and it seems to be no changes on the drivers just cosmetics (black angled jack)
Bamboo vs rosewood is also a big question, lots of people on HF say the only differences are the weight and the color of the wood

Never heard rosewoods , they look nice !

Ah yes
The bamboo is light and the rosewood is very heavy although i never try the bamboo but the seller told me so
And the colour is very eyecatching

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #5,995 of 7,138
Double post:

I'm looking at an amp, and the specs for it indicate that the "Headphone output impedance" is 12ohms.

I've only ever looked at output impedance with IEMs, of which I know that you should generally aim to keep it as close to 0 or 1 as possible. 

I'm guessing (hoping) the 12ohms is not under load?

At any rate:

Is a "Headphone output impedance" of 12 ohms a worry, when using them with the LCD 2?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #5,996 of 7,138
From what I understand, no.  However investing on such an amp might be questionable if you want to try other dynamics - when it does matter.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #5,997 of 7,138
  From what I understand, no.  However investing on such an amp might be questionable if you want to try other dynamics - when it does matter.

It is a DAC with a headphone amp built in - the amp will be used for the LCD 2.

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/59/index.html

Analog Output

RCA Output Level: 2Vrms at 0dBFS

XLR Output Level: 4Vrms at 0dBFS(XLR:1=GND,2=HOT,3=COLD)

Frequency Response: 20Hz(+0.01dB)~20KHz(-0.03dB)

SNR: 115dB 0dBFS unweighted     117dB 0dBFS A-weighted

THD+N: 0.0006% @ 1KHz 0dBFS

Cross Talk: -125dB @ 1kHz

Headphone Output Impedance: 12ohms

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,998 of 7,138
I'm skeptical, purely because of that transformer...If there was two of them in there, probably.  IMO the best values has come from USA and China in the form of Schiit and AGD.  These guys have honed onto the planars.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6,000 of 7,138
I'm listening to some beethoven...and I can't even test the peaks when the drums kick in and there is meant to be a lot of energy in the sound...my XcanV3 can't even juice it properly.  Those peaks are supposed to be like the gods of thunder coming down around the joint...this calls for MOAR POWER.

Yeah I'm really starting to believe its is a listening level thing.  The HD650 sounds better at the peaks...but without the power down low...and simply isn't real...the K701 is too lean once again.  I was listening to Beethoven Symphony No3

Audiophile rock and roll tracks are actually very good tonally...but these are mastered with zero thought of headphones and even I find them far too panned unrealistically..but if didn't sound this way, your headphone is artificially channel mixing - which is not accurate to the signal.

Chopin piano sonatas sound rich and vibrant with the lower tones correctly driving the piece.  The HD650 really was poor with piano key strikes and everything was smaller and less dynamic...the K701...not enough bass.

Yeah, I thought I'd go through the Hi-rez stuff again. 

I am starting to be certain that people are passing judgement on the LCD2 signature without understanding the power of live music...power needs bass and volume...lots of volume to match the top end at realistic levels.  especially for classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back