The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4,081 of 7,138
For those of you that also own or have extensively listened to a pair of HD800, do you think it's worth keeping both?  That is, are their respective signatures/strengths/weaknesses different enough to warrant keeping both?  (I'm not really asking if you like the HD800, but rather are they different enough.)  Mind you, I don't actually have a headphone system yet, but my plan is to get the HD800 and LCD-2r2 powered by Liquid Fire (or possibly Woo WA5LE).

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,082 of 7,138
Quote:
For those of you that also own or have extensively listened to a pair of HD800, do you think it's worth keeping both?  That is, are their respective signatures/strengths/weaknesses different enough to warrant keeping both?  (I'm not really asking if you like the HD800, but rather are they different enough.)  Mind you, I don't actually have a headphone system yet, but my plan is to get the HD800 and LCD-2r2 powered by Liquid Fire (or possibly Woo WA5LE).

I picked the HD800 over the LCD 2.2, but they compliment each other very well.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #4,083 of 7,138
Quote:

I have that setup at the moment, but have been debating on selling both and just going to an LCD-3 setup.  But I really like have a couple different pairs and the HD800s are just so damn comfortable, I know I'd end up missing them after a while. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4,084 of 7,138
Quote:

I just made that decision and yes it is at least for me. The LCD 2.2 does jazz and rock and mod music well. It has more bass impact and sounds more rich than the hd800 but the hd800 is more of a reference  headphone and climbs higher with soundstage and detail is the best and also  can resolve recordings   and excellent for large scale recordings where the lCD 2.2 can fall short in soundstage. I like both and they are different sounding where the he500 is more closer to the hed800 in many areas.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,085 of 7,138
Quote:
That is, are their respective signatures/strengths/weaknesses different enough to warrant keeping both?  

They are vastly different.  Within a given rig I have always preferred one over the other enough that the other hit the curb.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #4,086 of 7,138
Quote:

When I had both the LCD-2 was confined to its coffin. I found no recording that was unlistenable through the HD800 to the extent that I had to swap headphones. The LCD-2 at its best could not tear me away from the HD800 at its worst. No reason to liberate it when the HD800 was within reach.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4,087 of 7,138
Quote:

I prefer HD800 , but LCD-2 is easier to live with day to day. HD800 was great for that reference tonality and detail retrieval but the treble sharpness especially since I listen to metal could be wearing over time. With the right source/amp that could be a different story altogether, but Purrin's Mjolnir review will mirror some of my findings.

So basically, I'm a wiener towards treble these days or else it'd be HD800 all the way. I think the JH13's conditioned me to like a certain sound.. since those are what I spent the most amount of time with when I was still in school.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #4,088 of 7,138
Purrin and anax came up with a new mod revision to fix the 5-6k peak so you won't get as much fatigue with the bright treble as you would on stock.

As for for the question. I would sell my LCD2's in an instant but I have a thing for wood vintage retro looking things, so I just use my LCD2's as a display headphone and I never do use it. On the other hand, I actually find my Stax Lambda Pro's a more pleasing ying and yang in comparison with my HD800's. The Lambda Pro's throw in some fun factor whilst retaining great detail retrieval but the ability to still please the listener with low quality source, the HD800's on the other hand cannot, but all for high quality source only.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #4,089 of 7,138
Just put my order in at Audeze for the LCD-2's in bamboo, can't wait! Have the Schiit Asgard/Bifrost, hopefully they work well with that setup

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #4,092 of 7,138
Guys:

Just received my LCD 2.2 today and currently own the HE-400. I am a little confused with the termination on the 2.2. I didn't get the standard 1/4 plug that would go into the headphone jack of my Asgard amp. I bought the LCDs from a fellow Head-fi'er and it did not occur to me at all to ask for the termination plug. Instead what I have now is a 4 plug XLR and hell I don't have anything else. Any suggestions for this novice ?

Thanks

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #4,093 of 7,138

With super high end amp/gear, I feel the HD800 growing and evolving. I think after a certain "sufficient" level of power, the results are less than they would be with HD800. The sound is weighty, but it's almost sludgy with LCD-2. I don't want to speak in absolutes but if both headphones supposedly both claim neutral tones, why should they both sound so different? Then again I've heard HD800 with insufficient gear and I think it's a nightmare. I think if you want to run cheap amps, LCD-2 is still a very good headphone.

I think it's because everything is presented to you on a flat plane on the LCD-2, instead of being allowed to peak and dip like music naturally is. This is ignoring any graphs, I have not compared graphs of either headphone. A better amp wouldn't net you any better extension or attack in the same way. That being said I'm very happy with my Mjolnir for the effortless power it puts out and the upgrade in midrange energy... but yes I always have agreed with you on your points of HD800. The flat plane of sound actually is really nice again, for length listening sessions, which is the style of listening I do for 5+ hours a day and I listen to some rather aggressive ass music.

Also bass impact and weight savings is cool too. I think the LCD-2 is less dainty in construction as well. I do sleep with cans on these days.

Now if only someone would trade me 800's for my 2's :)

Also my broken driver LCD-2's came back today. Total turnaround time: 7 days from post office to receiving them in the mail today. I just unboxed them.

Someone mentioned using a firm memory foam pillow while laying down, well I tried it and it makes a huge difference. It's still not perfect comfort wise but quite bearable.

I use those "hotel grade" pillows in extra firm. Loads of pillow, everything just kind of sinks in and we're good to go. I just upgraded like the other month and for being able to watch movies in bed in my fetal position, it was totally worth it lol.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #4,095 of 7,138
Was this your old rev.1's that suffered a dud driver? 

Not even. Bought them on July 18th 2012, got to my house on the 20th. I'm a heavy user, 4-5 hours a day. They made things right as rain, and judging from the difference in Ted's (business partner) and my own LCD-2's, both drivers were replaced, because they actually sound different. Brand new cable, pads, and probably a brand new pair of drivers 2-day Fedex'd to my house. Fantastic customer service through and through.

Yeah a bit alarming that the "new" LCD-2's received a dead driver. Maxvla told me he's seen it happen before and he assured me their warranty service was awesome, and it was.

Also regarding my statements on HD800 to LCD-2. One is a $1000 can, the other a $1600 one.It's completely valid that one does some stuff better than the other. I prefer LCD-2 just because HD800 used to be kind of shrill back when all I had was Nuforce HDP. I didn't even have the AudioGD back then. Now that I have a credible stack, I'd like to revisit HD800 some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back