The ATH-CKS77.
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,216 of 1,518
I've adjusted the Poweramp program a little different.  I've got a 1db bump in the sub-bass 30Hz setting, and a 1db bump in everything from 2kHz up.  I've also got the bass/treble settings flat, with minimal stereo X (not sure what that is).  Here's the pics.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,217 of 1,518
Quote:
I've been using the Meelec. single flange with the wide nozzles on the 77's.  I mainly use it for comfort.  For some reason, Sony hybrids and the Meelec clear tips feel the best for comfort for me. But the stage does get bigger and they do make the 77's sound different.  I haven't really focused on the differences or use the 77's enough to do a comparison, but I'll definitely try hearing the differences in the near future.  

Meelec IEMs are available locally but for some strange reasons, the tips are rather hard to find.
Looks like I would have to order some from the US.

Will keep an eye out for the Sony hybrids when I'm out, SONY is quite predominent here.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,218 of 1,518
Hi I'm currently using a ath cks50 and a m50. Looking for new earphones to replace my CKS50. Been looking at afew earphones and narrowed down to ATH CKS77 and Shure SE215. Any thoughts on my selections? Would love other recommendations too. Budget would be around the 2 earphones that i've mentioned.
Currently living in Singapore where the cks 77 cost $138 and the shure at $199 due to distributor price markup.

I would prefer something with the bass of my CKS50 but with more clarity. Will the CKS 77 be better than a SE 215? 

Using a cowon J3 as my source with no amp. Flac files

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,219 of 1,518
Hey Danny, I have a question about the CKS77 that I own in relation to your Samson SR850.

The CKS77 are pretty great for music and gaming, but for gaming I feel like I could do just a little better. My question for you is this: If playing in stereo, for I hate Dolby headphone, would the Samson SR850 be an upgrade to the CKS77 in terms of positional accuracy and sound cues?

The CKS77 is great for gaming, the bass in explosions and punches are amazing, but it seems like I'm missing some sound cues that I wouldn't be with a dedicated gaming can. I own a Fiio E17 (my default that I use with all my cans), Fiio E6 and an Earforce DSS (hiss and reverb monster).

Maybe I should just EQ the bass down on the CKS77 to see if I can get better positional accuracy. I generally don't subscribe to EQ myself, however. I shouldn't have to EQ a headphone to have it sound how I want.

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,220 of 1,518
Quote:
Hi I'm currently using a ath cks50 and a m50. Looking for new earphones to replace my CKS50. Been looking at afew earphones and narrowed down to ATH CKS77 and Shure SE215. Any thoughts on my selections? Would love other recommendations too. Budget would be around the 2 earphones that i've mentioned.
Currently living in Singapore where the cks 77 cost $138 and the shure at $199 due to distributor price markup.
I would prefer something with the bass of my CKS50 but with more clarity. Will the CKS 77 be better than a SE 215? 
Using a cowon J3 as my source with no amp. Flac files

I would try the CKS77. These are the best CKS earphones to date. Better than the CKS90 which was the best version of the CKS earphones before the newer CKS55 and CKS77 came out. You will get highs and mids that will be clear with a much better tuning over any of the older CKS earphones. I would give them a go. You will be surprised at just how much better the CKS77 will be compared to your CKS50.
Quote:
Hey Danny, I have a question about the CKS77 that I own in relation to your Samson SR850.

The CKS77 are pretty great for music and gaming, but for gaming I feel like I could do just a little better. My question for you is this: If playing in stereo, for I hate Dolby headphone, would the Samson SR850 be an upgrade to the CKS77 in terms of positional accuracy and sound cues?

The CKS77 is great for gaming, the bass in explosions and punches are amazing, but it seems like I'm missing some sound cues that I wouldn't be with a dedicated gaming can. I own a Fiio E17 (my default that I use with all my cans), Fiio E6 and an Earforce DSS (hiss and reverb monster).

Maybe I should just EQ the bass down on the CKS77 to see if I can get better positional accuracy. I generally don't subscribe to EQ myself, however. I shouldn't have to EQ a headphone to have it sound how I want.

I like doing an upside down eQ for gaming . Mids should be the up front and center for gaming and this will help. Lower the bass end.. Keep the highs and mid frequencies above the bass.These have big bass as you know so it only makes sense to lower the bass for gaming..These have the stage for gaming so less bass will clear up any sounds you need to hear.

Samsons are great for gaming by the way. I like em better than the AD700 for games.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,221 of 1,518
Quote:

Meelec IEMs are available locally but for some strange reasons, the tips are rather hard to find.
Looks like I would have to order some from the US.

Will keep an eye out for the Sony hybrids when I'm out, SONY is quite predominent here.

I ordered a set of three balanced double flanges for the M9's and a variety pack.  I will most likely only need a few mediums out of the bunch so I'll be glad to send you some and share.  Just PM me your info.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #1,222 of 1,518
Quote:
I ordered a set of three balanced double flanges for the M9's and a variety pack.  I will most likely only need a few mediums out of the bunch so I'll be glad to send you some and share.  Just PM me your info.  
beerchug.gif

Opps !   ...just placed my order with Meelec before I saw your offer. <Palmface>

Anyway, thanks and appreciate your generous offer, buddy.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #1,223 of 1,518
I enjoy these gems as much as my other favorites - M-audio q40 and Atrio mg7 (its a little frustrating I forgot them on a plane) . The sound cks77 reproduce is more complex and full than atrio's, but if you are a real sub-basshead... well - MG7

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,224 of 1,518

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,226 of 1,518
Quote:

The SR850's are PERFECT for gaming, other than not having a mic. I have em paired with the E6. I play Call of Duty occasionally just to hear, and feel the gunfire through the SR850's. Fire any semi-auto and these will be bouncing all over your ears. They really are amazing. Now, I feel like playing...

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,227 of 1,518
Quote:

The fibrous paper filter is indeed glued on pretty well & seems very fragile (removing it in one piece is quite challenging & it can be easily punctured/torn).  This makes re-installation difficult, if not impossible.  Never fear though, as I decided to "take one from the team" and proceed with the non-reversible filter replacement anyways.  I tried my best to carefully remove the paper filter but I ended up puncturing it fairly quickly.. once this damage had been done, I hastily ripped the remnants of the filter off the nozzle and installed a couple of spare RE262 filters I had..

The resulting sound?  It's very much to my liking!  These sounded fantastic in stock form (though I found the midbass a little too dominating).. by replacing the filters, I feel I've tailored the sound more to my taste.  With the RE262 filters, the CKS77 sounds more balanced in terms of the ratio of "bass:mids:treble."  I immediately noticed the midbass hump is noticeably tamed.  Taming that midbass allows me to better hear the nuances & texturing across all the bass frequencies.  The bass is still very powerful, punchy, & muscular.. but the low frequencies sound more cohesive and natural to my ears. 

The midrange is brought much more in line with (if not forward of) the bass frequencies.  The tonality of the CKS77 remains very much in tact, but it's tilted less towards the bassy side and more towards the midrange.  With the mids coming to the forefront of the presentation, the liveliness and depth these phones possess is truly on display.  Listen to some well recorded acoustic jazz-guitar by Earl Klugh and you can almost feel the string flourishes with these phones.

I feel I get a better sense of the AT house sound with this mod, too.  The unique midrange coloration, in particular, is more clearly heard.  Treble remains crisp & smooth.. but it gains presence & sparkle as the bass gets toned down.  I really like how well the treble is integrated into the overall sound of these phones.. it was a little difficult to get a handle on pre-filter mod.. but now it's got a very nice airiness to it.

I haven't heard the CKM55, but I get the sense it's a more balanced, albeit less refined, version of the CKS77.  I'd venture a guess in saying that by replacing the CKS77 filter, you will get the best of both worlds in terms of refinement & balance.  I highly recommend this filter mod to those who want to bring a bit more of an 'audiophile' touch/balance to the bassy, warm sound.

Obviously going forward, my impressions of these phones will be with the the filters installed.. For brevity, I'll call my filter-modded ATs the:

CKS77-B ('b' for balanced).

Hey FlySweep, I realize you posted this comment over 2 months ago now, but I was curious --- do you happen to recall about how much burn-in time you had given these before deciding to swap out the filters?

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,228 of 1,518
Evidently this thread has died. Perhaps someone should play some funeral music.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,229 of 1,518
I wouldn't say dead. As long as I am a member I support my own threads. FlySweep has moved onto other gear since this thread so I doubt he will chime in. If you find the sound a bit loose to your liking. That mod he did a few members has done the exact same thing which is to remove the filter with good results. You can certainly try that.

I can tell you the sound does tighten up with some aggressive burn in. My original pair has lost the warm nature of the sound and is much better balanced out as they have over 400 hours of burn/ use on them..The filter seems to magnify the sounds a bit which gives these earphones their big sound. Taking the filer out does flatten this sound for better or for worse. Some guys will like that much more but for me my pair sounds great the way they are so I never bothered.. That is something I had to do to the CKS55 however as those were a bit too messy sounding.. Taking out the filters can be reverse able if you are careful with taking the filter out but if you rip them then that is the chance you will have to take.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,230 of 1,518
Cool. Yes, I appreciate that very much.

I was really just making the general observation that there hadn't been any new posts from anyone here in a long time, is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back