The ATH-CKM50. The CKM family impressions..(First look at the NEW CKM500)..Pg 86
Mar 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,216 of 1,323

I just picked these up for 30 bucks from amazon, and they are pretty great. Between the EPH 100 and the CKM-50, the thing that glares out at me is what a profligate gouge job so many of the so called high end phones are. These things make the IE8's, and the MTPG's that I bought seem like the biggest rip offs imagine-able. These, for me at least, fit better,  and are made better than both of those over priced behemoths. The sound quality is right there with both of those to my ears. The 200-350 dollar difference between these so called elite products and these is hard to justify anymore. I think the phenomena of price bias, and hype is the only thing that holds those crazy prices up anymore. All this stuff is being manufactured for the same few bucks in China, I am so done paying four hundred plus for this stuff.

I almost took your comment seriously, until I looked on your profile and saw how you got a thread locked over this same argument.

The CKM50 used to cost over a hundred dollars. The deal springs from the fact that the price has been reduced drastically to move stock.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,217 of 1,323

Quote:

I almost took your comment seriously, until I looked on your profile and saw how you got a thread locked over this same argument.

The CKM50 used to cost over a hundred dollars. The deal springs from the fact that the price has been reduced drastically to move stock.

Hey, there is a sucker born every minute, go ahead, continue to be a sucker. Your opinion on how serious to take my comment really matters little to me. Just think, with a little hype, maybe we can get these things back up to a hundred bucks again, and people can feel good about an extravagant cost, and misconceived, overblown value once again. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,218 of 1,323
Have you listened to these earphones that you keep comparing these to? And as you get into higher quality sound, you end up paying big bucks for small changes/improvements.

On another note, I let my friend listen to these. To say the least he was dumbstruck. At first he thought these were a new model of beats, which got him a punch in the shoulder. He took out his iBeats and said he wanted to trade. When I told him the price of these I think he pretty much creamed his pants. He ordered them today.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,220 of 1,323
Yeah, originally I had thought beats were really good but all it took was the CKM50 and the Panasonic HTF600 for my ears to become accustomed to better audio. Sure neither of these headphones are detail monsters but that gives you an indication of just how muddy the beats are. I just cant stand them anymore; they have very little detail and the bass, while there is a lot of it, it is very one-note and boring. Even as a bass head I dont like them.
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,222 of 1,323
Nice to see the ATH stuff has good synergy with the Sony  DAPS :D

Hopefull it will be a nice setup with Sony NW-A865 and CKS77 (if i get them over the CKM50´s i have)

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #1,223 of 1,323
I don't have my CKM50s anymore but I got myself a M50 so just thought I'd throw in my 2 cent:

They share a somewhat similar sound signature but don't sound alike enough to be comparable IMO. The CKM50s sound alot more closed in (being IEM and what not) and has significantly more bass impact and treble. Less extension on both ends as well on the CKM50.

Both perform very well at their respective price range.

So if you have the CKM50s, don't hesitate to get the M50s, and vice versa.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,225 of 1,323
Thats a great price for those. But I am certain those are not that great. I am guessing that the CKS55s are actually better than those.

There is a reason why they are liquidating those. Even the few that had them were not a huge fan of those. Anyone want to take a chance? I would get a CKS55 over one of those to be honest. The reason. I know AT improves with newer iterations of their earphones. If you look at some of the reviews on those here. They sound like your typical bass heavy earphone with not much refinements in the highs and mids. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,226 of 1,323
I've had my Red 50s (to distinguish them from my Blue PL-50s) out of the box for a couple of hours now and my first impressions from the top of the frequency spectrum down are smooth trebles, but they roll off fairly soon; sweet, warm mids like honey on a home-made biscuit: satisfying and filling; lows are a little boomy right now... not unpleasant, per se, but not tight enough for me... yet. I intend to wring 'em out (break-in) overnight at a substantial volume level higher than I would listen to them, then silence for an hour in the morning, then listen again at work. If they haven't tightened up, I'll burn 'em all day tomorrow at work and listen again. Rinse well and repeat as desired... I like the fit and feel- reminds me of old Sony EX 90s, et.al... Comfortable, but I won't be lying down with them, unless I'm on my back.

For what little I paid for them, I'm already getting tumescent...

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,227 of 1,323

Quote:
I just realized I have the PL30 and not the E30. Lol. Sorry man. Don't plan on getting another SoundMagic. Earphone anytime soon.

I love my SoundMagic phones. All of them. For the money, they were and still are awesome phones. I'm going to get the E30s, just because ClieOS gave them the Sonic Hedge Hog, or whatever he calls (called?) it. I'll compare them to my Red 50s. I don't know how long I'll hang out here this time, but while I'm around, I might as well rattle a few cages.

I'm back! Court's in session. The semi-honorable Judge Buff is presiding. Y'all can be seated...

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,229 of 1,323
So I have been listening to the CKM50 with my Sony Z1060. Great synergy through this player.. I tell you what guys I am greatly impressed with Sonys newest. The sound plays nice with just about everything I have.. It makes a great sounding earphone sound even better.

Next time ya'll are looking for a great player. I can't recommend a better one. Glad you guys are getting in on some CKM50 action..

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,230 of 1,323
My buddy at work ended up getting the CKM50 after I let him audition mine for a while. Another friend wasn't too impressed though. Eh, can't please 'em all. I slept with them in last night. Quite comfy. I'm a bit paranoid about someone breaking in and me not being able to hear them though. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back