The ATH-AD900 Thread
Mar 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #436 of 668
I searched this thread for 'creaking' and 'creak'--no matches. Does that mean it's not an issue like it is with the AD700?

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #437 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I searched this thread for 'creaking' and 'creak'--no matches. Does that mean it's not an issue like it is with the AD700?

My AD900 doesn't make any noise at all.

That is probably because it is made of metal as opposed to plastic on the AD700.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #438 of 668
Yes, I was meaning to ask about that, The driver assembly appears to be all metal; the black rings separating the grille from the pad, That is metal, right? It feels cool to the touch.

But where it attaches to the wing system, that's plastic, right? It doesn't feel cool; neither do the wings.

Also: I hear no "creak," but I'm not entirely sure what would be causing it, so I might just be using them in such a way as to avoid it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #439 of 668
yes, the wings and the junction are plastic. The rest is metal.

Some people say that most of the cost difference between the ad700 and ad900 is the build quality. I never had the ad700 in my hands to confirm that but the build quality on ad900 is incredible.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #440 of 668
Ah, this thread has been brought back! I hadn't wanted to resurrect it with some trifling questions, but now that it's here... Does anyone have tips for washing the pads? I've only had these phones for about a month so they're not in bad shape or anything, I'd just like to take good care of them, and till now I've just used a lint brush to remove the dust. Is it an easy matter to just pull them off and wash them by hand? With the leather backing it seems like a bad idea to throw them in the wash with clothing, so I thought it best to ask for input here.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #441 of 668
I washed one of my pads in the sink with a little bit of Tide and that worked well. You may want to use an unscented detergent if the fragrance bothers you. The pads twist off but pay attention to their placement. One side is thicker than the rest.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #443 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone every disassembled their AD900?

I sure haven't, and I'm certainly not going to.
eek.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #446 of 668
Another question: what are "recessed mids" that some people mention? In practical terms, what is it? Voice?

I have been noticing that certain instruments are MUCH more pronounced in these headphones than in others.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #447 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question: what are "recessed mids" that some people mention? In practical terms, what is it? Voice?

I have been noticing that certain instruments are MUCH more pronounced in these headphones than in others.

I don't think mids are recessed with the AD900, but the upper mids and the treble are much more forward than the low mids, as a consequence the tonality is quite bright. And stuff like cymbals are very pronounced.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #448 of 668
Anyone take that foam out and hear a difference? I was pretty sure I was gong to do that to make it look more like the other AD cans but I've grown accustom to the look now.

I'm at home today with a tonne of uni work to do so I'll have some listening time
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #450 of 668
Anyone take that foam out and hear a difference?

I did, after reading that it increased the already large soundstage and tamed the highs... I really tried to like it for a day, with several hours of listening and to me it made the mids sound strange so I put them back in.
The biggest change for me was a mod that only consisted of bending the bars at the top of the phones at the center. I hated the way these phones put pressure at the bottom of my jaw all of the time and it felt as if the top of the pads weren't even touching my head over the ears. While I was wearing them, I just kept bending the bars with my thumbs in the middle till it felt right. I love the results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back