The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #3,061 of 3,220
What I actually meant was that I've never heard the RWAMod's sound, not that I've never heard about it
smily_headphones1.gif
So I'll say it with more confidence this time: RWAMod is just an iMod like any other. If you manage to get the same solder and wire as RWA does you'll get exactly the same sound with your diyMod.

Gotcha... it was like 4am to me and I must have interpreted it wrong :p
Thanks for your reply!

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #3,063 of 3,220
What I actually meant was that I've never heard the RWAMod's sound, not that I've never heard about it
smily_headphones1.gif
So I'll say it with more confidence this time: RWAMod is just an iMod like any other. If you manage to get the same solder and wire as RWA does you'll get exactly the same sound with your diyMod.

RWA iMod does not work on the LOD pins tho. To my ears, the ones modded just like the RWA iMod and the ones modded to the LOD pins don't sound the same. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,064 of 3,220

Just completed this. Slight modification to iphd mod. thick back cover, cf/ssd and 2000 mah battery next. Compared to my other imod with BG similar setup, better soundstage, less warm, less bass however still punchy. More neutral i would say. Looking forward to it after break in.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,065 of 3,220

Just completed this. Slight modification to iphd mod. thick back cover, cf/ssd and 2000 mah battery next. Compared to my other imod with BG similar setup, better soundstage, less warm, less bass however still punchy. More neutral i would say. Looking forward to it after break in.

Is that a fully balanced mod?! If so: THIS IS AMAZING! Could we get a more detailed description of hwat you've done here? And more, detailed pics plz!

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,066 of 3,220
Is that
Is that a fully balanced mod?! If so: THIS IS AMAZING! Could we get a more detailed description of hwat you've done here? And more, detailed pics plz!

Yes, Similar to what beyondwind proposed, just separate HP_com formed by bridging L and R channels and solder them to the connector pins respectively. Including the connection at AVDD2 and AGND, it will have 3 channels grounding. I will try to take photos after done modding but the connections are hot-glued though.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,070 of 3,220

After 2 days of break in, I would say I prefer the sound of capless mod over diymod with BG. To make it fair, I have made several comparison with 3 setups with similar amp and IEM, assuming the difference in interconnect cables would be minor and negligible. 

diymod with BG to SE
iphd capless mod to SE
Iphd capless mod balanced

SE iphd mod is clearly more details, brighter, and airy and refined compared to diymod with BG, it is clearly a winner in detailed presentation. However for diymod with BG, it sounded laid back and warm. Would be good for relaxing and resting. One downside for diymod with BG is the sound is more blended. Imagine walking on the beach, the 'rocks' represent the music instrument placement are blended with sound and vocal as 'fine sand'. It is not as bad, but would be muddy.

With SE iphd mod, it is more like a rocky beach without sand. Every single notes are solid and clearly detailed. I would recommend to go for capless/ iphd capless mod and get rid of the capacitor. 

iphd balanced sound however, with much more air and sound staging. Much upgrade from SE setup. It is a fun setup like sitting in a concert. For all, I would go straight to balanced setup if I have a balanced amp. Otherwise, SE capless is sufficient. 

P/s: For iphd mod, using line out pads as hot pin and headphone pads as cold/ground sounded better compared to the opposite setup.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,071 of 3,220
Great job.

Can you describe and do you have a pic showing how you achieved a solid and reliable soldered joints near the DAC for AGND & AVDD2? What cap did you use to connect the two wires?

Also when you just listen from the HP out without using amp, is the volume high enough? My understanding you will lose a few db with the mod, correct?

It would be interesting if you include a direct-out mod to the lod dock pins for comparisons. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,072 of 3,220
  Great job.

Can you describe and do you have a pic showing how you achieved a solid and reliable soldered joints near the DAC for AGND & AVDD2? What cap did you use to connect the two wires?

Also when you just listen from the HP out without using amp, is the volume high enough? My understanding you will lose a few db with the mod, correct?

It would be interesting if you include a direct-out mod to the lod dock pins for comparisons. 

It is hot glued on the connection, so i cant show you the photo anymore. I go with brute force method as my solder iron is not thin enough. I scraped the solder mask near the pin and caps using tiny screw driver and knife to expose the copper along the dotted pink and green lines rather than on the pins/solder (see pic). Turn out is is much easier this method. I used 3 old caps from my old LOD running parallel. I cant identify which caps it is using but it is not in audio path, so I don't really care that much yet.

For direct hp out, it is more than sufficient to drive my IEM with 28 and 32 ohm. So i don't think it is an issue here, it worth a try if you have extra ipod around.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #3,073 of 3,220
Can you elaborate on "brute force method"? I tried soldering there before on a practice board, it seems achieving solid and reliable joints is difficult. Also the solder doesn't seem grab the exposed copper. maybe I need special solder.

BTW, can you eliminate the cap for this mod?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,074 of 3,220
  Can you elaborate on "brute force method"? I tried soldering there before on a practice board, it seems achieving solid and reliable joints is difficult. Also the solder doesn't seem grab the exposed copper. maybe I need special solder.

BTW, can you eliminate the cap for this mod?

From my understanding, yes you can eliminate the cap for the mod since there is common rejection from the + and -. If the solder doesn't stick, means the mask is not fully come off. Scrape the copper gently until it is really 'shinny'. Use flux, it helps. Good luck.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,075 of 3,220
  From my understanding, yes you can eliminate the cap for the mod since there is common rejection from the + and -. If the solder doesn't stick, means the mask is not fully come off. Scrape the copper gently until it is really 'shinny'. Use flux, it helps. Good luck.

Thanks. I may give it another try for this hobby and fun. I think one must use hot glues to secure the joints after soldering. For other mods, I only used hot glues for the lod pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back