The Apache....
Oct 7, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #496 of 511
i'm considering it. but i like the sound i have right now. so i'm not sure. it's one of those situations: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #497 of 511
Just curious about this too~~ I love the sound from my currently set up, but I am very inquisitive about how it sound with the new op-amp + new mod.
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #498 of 511
I never heard the Apache with the previous op-amps, but I must say that the latest one (National Semiconductor) simply makes the Apache fabulously synergistic with the Qualia. I couldn't imagine that the other op-amps could sound any better, at least with my system (though maybe they would just make it sound different, not necessarily better or worse).

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #502 of 511
Heard from him today and I am going to ship mine off for the mod. I'm a little scared to change the sound signature but Ray hasn't led me wrong yet! It can always be returned to stock too if the sound isn't what I am looking for. I'm using mine mostly as a preamp and it's mostly vinyl that has been sourced. I'll post my impressions when it is all said and done.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #503 of 511
i asked him if i decide to do the mod, could i bring it to him at the New York Nov meet. my hope is that his Apache will have the new op amp and mod, so i can hear it and make a more informed decision.

if not, i'm not sure what i will do.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #505 of 511
Aaron...if you get it back in December, it will be like...well, Christmas in December
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #506 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mailed out, soon too return! Looking forward to the new sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I have just the LME49710 chips and I liked the sound but from talking with Ray, he indicated it improves even further with the modication. I was hoping to stop by Ray's when I was in Chicago on the 28th but I doubt he will be back from the Florida meet.
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #507 of 511
Aaron I'm really hoping to have it back in a week or so! So Christmas will have to come in November and December this year
wink.gif
I'm looking forward to the change and hopefully it will work well in my system as it has no tubes and a lot of silver.... A little bit of warmth may be just what it needs.

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #508 of 511
I swapped out the LT 1028 chips in my Apache for LME 49710 chips. I started burning them in, but decided to listen for the heck of it. I noticed that I hearn a hum in the background comparable to and perhaps somewhat worse than my original experience with the AD797 chips, which are what my Apache came with. This is why I switched to the LT 1028s in the first place.

I am using UE-10 pros and the low gain setting, and this hum may not be noticeable at all to those who use cans or higher gain settings. It is also possible that the probem is peculiar to my set-up. When I switched back to the LT 1028s, there was no hum.

My unit has not got Ray's modification, and I don't know if this would have made any difference.

FWIW, the LME 49710 chips otherwise sounded great, but then so do the LT 1028s.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #509 of 511
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swapped out the LT 1028 chips in my Apache for LME 49710 chips. I started burning them in, but decided to listen for the heck of it. I noticed that I hearn a hum in the background comparable to and perhaps somewhat worse than my original experience with the AD797 chips, which are what my Apache came with. This is why I switched to the LT 1028s in the first place.

I am using UE-10 pros and the low gain setting, and this hum may not be noticeable at all to those who use cans or higher gain settings. It is also possible that the probem is peculiar to my set-up. When I switched back to the LT 1028s, there was no hum.

My unit has not got Ray's modification, and I don't know if this would have made any difference.

FWIW, the LME 49710 chips otherwise sounded great, but then so do the LT 1028s.

Spoke with Ray about this and he said that the mod will take care of the low gain hum you are speaking of.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #510 of 511
So that means that I still have to consider whether it would make sense to send the unit back to Ray. Frankly, I hate to part with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back