The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,192 of 2,897
It did sell quite well even when the price was higher so why wouldn't sell now?
When you buy a Tera Player you buy more than a DAP ,audio bliss for many years to come.

I think the season for Terra sales has run its course unfortunately, take a glance around at the overwhelming amount of competition, I won't continue on about the functionality compared. Lowering the price may sell 1-2 units but the window of opportunity has long passed imo, many years ago. Elvis has left the building... In saying that though, I still hold repsect for people like you musicday who stick with it, there's no insults intended towards owners or fans alike. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,193 of 2,897
I think Charles doesn't care much about audio since it moved away from NOS but now maybe he is a little strapped for cash hence his track back on pricing. 
wink.gif

If he sticks a PCM63 in it I would buy at this price 
redface.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,196 of 2,897

Ganna be selling like hotcakes now.

Get in line boys, form a cue.
wink.gif

It did sell quite well even when the price was higher so why wouldn't sell now?

How do you know it was selling well at higher price? Or how it was selling at any price? I have always been wandering about at which price points it was selling well. My guess is as long as it was under $2K - but that my own biased view because this is where I would feel comfortable buying one - even though I was very lucky and got my Tera early for 840 euro.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,197 of 2,897
Just wish that as a very early adopter I'd had the hindsight to buy 10 Tera Players at 500 Euros each, as I could have resold them for a considerable profit. Incidentally, I liked the sonics of my TP until an AK100 paired with the Glove Audio A1 totally outclassed my Tera Player in every way. Only then did I realise how truncated the TP is at both frequency extremes and just how muddy/muffled the SQ is.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,198 of 2,897
Just wish that as a very early adopter I'd had the hindsight to buy 10 Tera Players at 500 Euros each, as I could have resold them for a considerable profit. Incidentally, I liked the sonics of my TP until an AK100 paired with the Glove Audio A1 totally outclassed my Tera Player in every way. Only then did I realise how truncated the TP is at both frequency extremes and just how muddy/muffled the SQ is.

Yeah,well thanks for the impressions,you gave them before but obviously not everyone agrees with you.
For example i heard pretty much everything up to AK380 Cu and i wasn't impressed at all. Now that the price of the Tera Player went down people will see an alternative for a very good sounding music player.
The only second music player that's worth in my opinion is the Lotoo Paw Gold.
I will not like to trade Tera's beautiful analogue sound,portability,long battery life, form factor for anything else bigger,heavier.
Only recently i realised how much better it can sound with Ref1 Too, and must sound even better with the Plus5.
As for me i am confident that the battery life will be pretty much the same under the same load for at least 5-6 years,so i will not need to upgrade over and over again as we change mobile phones.
Charles has done a great sounding music player,and has made it to last.
I am inviting you again to meet up and hear mine :thumbsup::grin: and see what you are missing.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,199 of 2,897
Yeah,well thanks for the impressions,you gave them before but obviously not everyone agrees with you.
For example i heard pretty much everything up to AK380 Cu and i wasn't impressed at all. Now that the price of the Tera Player went down people will see an alternative for a very good sounding music player.
I will not like to trade Tera's beautiful analogue sound,portability,long battery life, form factor for anything else bigger,heavier.
Only recently i realised how much better it can sound with Ref1 Too, and must sound even better with the Plus5.
As for me i am confident that the battery life will be pretty much the same under the same load for at least 5-6 years,so i will not need to upgrade over and over again as we change mobile phones.
I am inviting you again to meet up and hear mine :thumbsup::grin: and see what you are missing.

To be fair [to Smial]...the king of repetition [on this thread] is...M........, not Smial.

Not until one owns a reasonably good transducer [rather than the Koss PP], , it is not difficult to draw the same conclusions [the TP is the best] regardless numerous assessments from others [former TP owners like Smial and myself] came to similar view [that there are DAPs outclassed the TP]. 

It is a danger for one who claim whatever DAP has the best analogue sound while he/she has minimal exposures to the true analogue world.  Let's not claim to be the expert in assessing a DAP with the best analogue sound until knowing what exactly what analogue sound is all about.

To share some of my experience with fellow forum headfiers...analogue sound might not necessarily better than digital and it's very much depends upon the recordings.  The difference between good and bad recordings can be huge.  

I have recently indulged in my "analogue" world through the exploration of those top-of-the-line vintage equipments from the 70s/80s (check my profile) and found a whole new life for my 500+ albums.  The true analogue sound can be addictive and I struggled to turn back to digital.

Come to Toronto and I'll let you get a taste of the true analogue sound by starting with my Walkman D3 (cassette) then move up to the Technics RB100's headphone out (feds by the TT2 Turntables, either on SME3010R/Dynavector 23R or Mayware Formula 4/Supex 900Super) while using my Tralucent Audio Ref.1 on both outputs.  You might then able to judge how far away TP is from the "analogue sound". 

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,200 of 2,897
Have you heard an AK100 and Glove Audio A1 combo my friend? As only then can you truly be certain of your assertion to have heard the best sounding DAP. I enjoyed my Tera Player during the time it was in my possession, but have no desire whatsoever to own another one. Have a pleasant weekend. 
smile.gif

Quote:

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,201 of 2,897
I had the original AK120 but that was all.I was fairly disappointed with it, and i will not buy AK players again.
The Tera Player as a player , sound quality wise and form factor is the most satisfactory for me.
I may just get the SE5 Ultimate CIEM that i heard it pairs really well.
- I am thinking if both jack output have the same impedance maybe I can listen in balanced mode like Pono does:grin: have anyone tried it?
Have a good weekend too Andy.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,202 of 2,897
I had the original AK120 but that was all.I was fairly disappointed with it, and i will not buy AK players again.
The Tera Player as a player , sound quality wise and form factor is the most satisfactory for me.
I may just get the SE5 Ultimate CIEM that i heard it pairs really well.
- I am thinking if both jack output have the same impedance maybe I can listen in balanced mode like Pono does:grin: have anyone tried it?
Have a good weekend too Andy.

musicday, the original Ak120 would not the specific from which to generalise about AK players. And bears no sonic resemblance to the new generation of AK DAPs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back