The ALO Audio International (New Blanced Amp And USB DAC)
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DigitalFreak

镇老鹰
Taken directly from the ALO Audio site

Quote:
The International is the newest balanced headphone amplifier and high resolution DAC from ALO audio. 
Designed to connect all parts of your audio world; portable and desktop, digital and analog, balanced and single-ended. 
Powerful enought to drive the most challenging headphones, sensitive enought to pair with your favorite IEMs and small enough to take anywhere the music takes you.

High Resolution 24 Bit / 96 kHz DAC
Utilizing the top of the line Cirius Logic CS4398 DAC chip The International sounds exactly what'd you'd expect from ALO audio.  Full, rich and detailed; the chip found in many high-end SACD and CD players in now in a compact and portable amplifier.

Balanced Inputs and Outputs
The International is designed to be balanced from the start. Regardless of the input, single-ended or balanced, you can take advantage of the balanced circuit design featuring the high perormance Burr Brown DRV134 balanced line driver chips for dramatic and dynamic musical swings.

Fits In The Palm of Your Hand
The powerful balanced headphone amplifier and high resolution DAC are excellent on their own, but combined into this small package, they are not to be missed.  
Powerful enought to drive the most demanding headphones on the market and at the same time the right match for even the most sensitive IEMs.

Picture Gallery

INTL_%2812_of_16%29.jpg
INTL_%2815_of_16%29.jpg

INTL_%2816_of_16%29.jpg
INTL_%2814_of_16%29.jpg

Specs

Battery: 1600 mAh Lithium-Polymer
Dimensions: 71.5 mm x 85 mm x 25.5 mm
Battery Play Time: 14-16 hours (Amplifier) 8-10 Hours (Amplifier + DAC)
Battery Recharge Time: 3 hours
Frequency Response : +/- 1 dB:10-25,000 Hz
(?)
Output Power - Balanced:
  1. checkbox_ticked.gif
     130 mW into 32 Ohms
  2. checkbox_ticked.gif
     200 mW into 50 Ohms
  3. checkbox_ticked.gif
     330 mW int 600 Ohms
  4. checkbox_ticked.gif
     660 mW into 300 Ohms

Input Impedance: 10KOhms
(?)
Output Power - Unbalanced:
  1. checkbox_ticked.gif
     130 mW into 32 Ohms
  2. checkbox_ticked.gif
     160 mW into 300 Ohms
  3. checkbox_ticked.gif
     200 mW into 50 Ohms
  4. checkbox_ticked.gif
     83 mW into 600 Ohms

Pricing for this little beauty is $599.00 USD. I did a quick look around on Head-Fi and found no information so I took it upon myself to start a thread in hopes the community would get real world feedback from owners who have had time to give this new product a listen. I open the thread up to further discussion.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Feb 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Look out HiFi-M8! So what is the output impedance, every IEM'er on Head-fi will want to hunt that down. 
biggrin.gif

ADD: Double the power output if you use balanced. As expressed on the ALO site.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Just need some clarifications. 

By looking at the pics (AK100 + International), how would you use IEM with low gain (unbalanced). I see the cable from the line-out of the AK100 connected to the low gain headphone out (unbalanced) of the International. If I wanted to use low gain unbalanced IEM, how would I plug it in?

Would the international even be worth it if I plan to use it unbalanced?

And just for clarification, that setup in the pics above would only override the AMP on the AK100, it would not override the DAC?

How does the AMP on the International compare to say the Continental V3? I favor the international mainly due to its size.

Sorry for my newbness. Still learning.

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 15
No need to apologize those are all very good questions. Unfortunately until someone takes one for the team nobody can answers those questions. Hopefully someone weighs in with some impressions soon

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Just need some clarifications. 

By looking at the pics (AK100 + International), how would you use IEM with low gain (unbalanced). I see the cable from the line-out of the AK100 connected to the low gain headphone out (unbalanced) of the International. If I wanted to use low gain unbalanced IEM, how would I plug it in?

Would the international even be worth it if I plan to use it unbalanced?

And just for clarification, that setup in the pics above would only override the AMP on the AK100, it would not override the DAC?

How does the AMP on the International compare to say the Continental V3? I favor the international mainly due to its size.

Sorry for my newbness. Still learning.

Thanks!

I just go my International. Works great unbalanced with sensitive IEMs. It does not have the hiss that the Continental V3 had, which is why I ended up returning the V3. Supposedly, the hiss disappears on the V3 after 150 hours of burn in, but I'm too impatient 
blink.gif
. Overall, pretty pleased with the International but will need more time with it before making any judgments about sound.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 15
Is the hiss on v3 higher/same/lesser compared to rx mk3? I also interesting to get either v3 or international...how does the international sound compared to national in single ended? Anyone tried both? If not significantly improved i might just get v3 coz i already have the national...

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 15
Are you eventually going to set it up in balanced and what DAC are you using? You're the first person on here to report in with this new amp so you're our grapevine. Please keep us informed.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Looking to buy a ALO Audio The International+ Optical Edition if anyone has one for sale. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Still looking to buy one if anyone has one for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back