The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 21, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,666 of 2,717
I am very much interested in Continental V5 but it is hard to come by in sale forums. Would you possibly be knowing any other portabls tube or hybrid amps of similar finesse at a lower price?

Be patient. A used V5 will eventually show up on classified. Black Friday sales are coming soon and ALO may even do another Xmas sale which is when I purchased CDM.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #1,667 of 2,717
Mmm......I'm glad that reviews of the CV5 suggests that it is not in the same league as the CDM, SQ-wise. Very happy with the CDM. The CV5 is clearly a downgrade from the CDM. Will just wait for the next gen CDM before upgrading, instead of adding the CV5 to my small collection.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,668 of 2,717
Mmm......I'm glad that reviews of the CV5 suggests that it is not in the same league as the CDM, SQ-wise. Very happy with the CDM. The CV5 is clearly a downgrade from the CDM. Will just wait for the next gen CDM before upgrading, instead of adding the CV5 to my small collection.

I wouldn't call it a clear downgrade. They offer different signatures. 
Cv5 offers a great musical package with an incredibly small formfactor. I doubt you will find anything like it in that size.
CDM is sublime in fully balanced mode though, for what it was designed afaik. but it's also more expensive. 

oh, and as far as I can tell, RFI is less of an issue with Cv5. Where it was partly unbearable (on a train for example) with CDM, it's no problem with Cv5.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,672 of 2,717
Sure, just hook up any source via the analogue inputs, that bypasses the DAC

Thanks, I just checked the pictures - both inputs and outputs available for 3.5mm SE and 2.5mm BAL. The ALO products' pages are one of the worst designs when it comes to text readability - all text in all caps and jarring character spacing. I visit other websites to read description for ALO products. JDS Labs website I'd one of the most readable designs.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,674 of 2,717
Oct 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,675 of 2,717
How good is CDM as a stand alone amp compared to Continental V5?

Powerwise Cv5 is a little ahead, but CDM also drives a huge number of cans (including Abyss AB-1266).

From signature alone I favor CDM running fully balanced. It's more musical and engaging imo. Cv5 has punchier bass from what I hear, CDM is more relaxed and smooth.
Ken (ALO) said that they kept 90% of CDM's sound in Cv5... 

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,677 of 2,717
Nov 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,678 of 2,717
Have been reading through this thread looking for the answer with little luck

There are several references to the single ended and balanced outputs sounding different. However what is that difference.

I already have a cdm running single ended into ether c 1.1.

Just wondering if it's worth the $170 for an adapter to run balanced.

I am using it via the inbuilt dac so will be balanced in balanced out

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,679 of 2,717
Have been reading through this thread looking for the answer with little luck

There are several references to the single ended and balanced outputs sounding different. However what is that difference.

I already have a cdm running single ended into ether c 1.1.

Just wondering if it's worth the $170 for an adapter to run balanced.

I am using it via the inbuilt dac so will be balanced in balanced out

Without wishing to open that can of worms - there are some very good technical experts on here who will tell you that a really well implemented SE output is as good or better than an average balanced out - I have found that the balanced out on the CDM or my Onkyo DP-X1 or my Glove A1 (paired with an "old" AK120) gives a wider soundstage, which I happen to like. So I would say that's the main thing that my ears (brain) pick up, rather than an improvement in sound quality per se. (The Onkyo balanced out is widely agreed to be quite a lot better but that's more a reflection of the average-at-best SE output rather than the balanced out being stunning, but I definitely notice the same difference with the CDM.)

To answer your question directly: yes I think it's worth investing in a balanced IEM (in my case) cable.

PS I use a digital micro USB - OTG USB interconnect to connect the Onkyo (or even my iPhone 6) to the CDM, so I am using the DAC and amp capabilities of the CDM. The iPhone sounded amazing that way with the CDM's balanced out as well. One thing I would say is that the most recent balanced IEM cable I bought sounds at least as good, or better than the CDM straight out of the balanced out on the Onkyo, so there is something to be said for getting a good DAP with balanced out for portable, on-the-move use and leaving the CDM for occasional listening at home.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #1,680 of 2,717
Without wishing to open that can of worms - there are some very good technical experts on here who will tell you that a really well implemented SE output is as good or better than an average balanced out - I have found that the balanced out on the CDM or my Onkyo DP-X1 or my Glove A1 (paired with an "old" AK120) gives a wider soundstage, which I happen to like. So I would say that's the main thing that my ears (brain) pick up, rather than an improvement in sound quality per se. (The Onkyo balanced out is widely agreed to be quite a lot better but that's more a reflection of the average-at-best SE output rather than the balanced out being stunning, but I definitely notice the same difference with the CDM.)

To answer your question directly: yes I think it's worth investing in a balanced IEM (in my case) cable.

PS I use a digital micro USB - OTG USB interconnect to connect the Onkyo (or even my iPhone 6) to the CDM, so I am using the DAC and amp capabilities of the CDM. The iPhone sounded amazing that way with the CDM's balanced out as well. One thing I would say is that the most recent balanced IEM cable I bought sounds at least as good, or better than the CDM straight out of the balanced out on the Onkyo, so there is something to be said for getting a good DAP with balanced out for portable, on-the-move use and leaving the CDM for occasional listening at home.

Thanks for the response.

Yes from my experience I would also agree that at least to my ears I wouldn't say balanced is better by default.

In this instance I have read the two sounded different. Not necessarily on being better than the other, just that there was a significant audible difference.

Thanks for for clarifying for me :)

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back