The all new Continental Dual Mono
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,606 of 2,723
  Interesting talk, but this change even if it is not used on AK70 can improve use with iphone? the rest of the work pc mac etc remain as before? can only improve everything?

thank you.

Clxmusic,

My experience has been that he FLAC player and Onkyo player works with the iPhone, if your CDM is working fine then you dont need to think about this.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,607 of 2,723

That's good news Ken, thanks.

I'm still waiting for the CV5 but may get the CDM for the dac (lately, I much prefer Wolfson chips) and the balanced out.

Any chance the CDM mod also works with the AK Jr.'s usb digital out?

The Cv5 will be for sale very soon, early Sept, again all sorry for the delay.

As far as I know the CDM is going to work with the AK70, I am not sure what other AK players output via USB. 

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,609 of 2,723
  Clxmusic,

My experience has been that he FLAC player and Onkyo player works with the iPhone, if your CDM is working fine then you dont need to think about this.

Thanks

Ken

Ken - Because I'm sure others will wonder, is there any downside to you doing the CDM "R" mod? Cheers 

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,612 of 2,723
  Ken - Because I'm sure others will wonder, is there any downside to you doing the CDM "R" mod? Cheers 

Hey Mscott58,

No, at least none that we know of :wink: of course when ever you open it up you must be careful not to short anything etc..

Ken

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,613 of 2,723
Hmmm. My iPhone SE works ok with the FIIO L19 cable. Sometimes, I need to restart the iPhone to recognize CDM. Might as well send in for mod and give it a shot. I'm liking iPhone more than my Onkyo because on wifi streaming, iPhone doesn't produce interference noise. Cell signal will create some noise, but not wifi. On the Onkyo DP-X1, wifi creates a lot of noise.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,614 of 2,723
I used many times iPhone6 with CDM and has always worked well ever interference it can sometimes be useful noises unplug the usb adapter and reconnect it also depends on the room that you still use the app you get a nice sound.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,615 of 2,723
Re: interference - is the sensitivity to EMI just from cellular signals or is the CDM also affected by Wi-Fi.

I'd like to use the CDM attached to my Mac or my iPad, streaming from Squeezebox via iPeng. Is this likely to be a non starter if the CDM is always going to be near wi-fi signals?

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,616 of 2,723
Re: interference - is the sensitivity to EMI just from cellular signals or is the CDM also affected by Wi-Fi.

I'd like to use the CDM attached to my Mac or my iPad, streaming from Squeezebox via iPeng. Is this likely to be a non starter if the CDM is always going to be near wi-fi signals?

You won't have to worry about EMI unless you are literally placing your phone directly on top of the CDM. No issues at all in desktop mode next to your laptop or workstation.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,617 of 2,723
You won't have to worry about EMI unless you are literally placing your phone directly on top of the CDM. No issues at all in desktop mode next to your laptop or workstation.

My experience is different, both with the CDM and CV5. Got audible EMI if phone was near unit or my laptop, although it's important to note my PC has a broadband card installed, so it's essentially a phone in terms of EMI.

Have never had issues related to wifi though.

And I still love both units! Ken (and Vinnie) are wizards.

Cheers

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,618 of 2,723
Mmm....getting noise from my Onkyo on Wifi and Samsung smartphone on my CDM but I keep them stacked. Only solution is to turn off wifi or put the phone in airplane mode. With laptops, no issue. Curiously, I get much less noise out of the Onkyo DPX1 when playing my own tracks using the in-built player than when playing Tidal.com tracks in offline listening mode and with wifi turned off.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,619 of 2,723
The major disorders are caused by the GSM signal is very annoying and I also happen with other portable amplifiers near the phone with wi-fi did not give me never bothered on CDM as there is more tubes subjected .. on the old radio and its phono stages they put on a metal shielding valves around it to isolate it from disorders ..

however this CDM I do not get bored! even with the noise!
k701smile.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,620 of 2,723
Thanks for the input re: wi-if interference. Sounds like I shouldn't have a problem using a CDM in the way I want. I'm imagining having it plugged into my desktop most of the time and bringing it around the apartment or to work when I want to listen to its delicious goodness away from my desk.

I put the CDM on my shortlist based on listening experience with Vinnie Rossi's LIO and previous Red Wine Audio product. I'm still thinking about a purchase, but getting close to pulling out my wallet for a purchase. The specs and reviews sound almost perfect for the way I listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back