The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #2,723 of 4,580
Can anyone tell me is there a sound difference between the K7xx first edition and second edition.

Yes, I can tell you: No difference. Nada, nunca, zilch.
Cheers,
K

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #2,725 of 4,580
  I rate the K 7XX the superior headphone is reproducing what is fed into it.  That said, individual sound signature preferences are likely to pick the "winner" for each individual.  If you like a larger sound stage, the Q701 gives you that.  If you like the veiled velvet Senn sound, only the HD 598 gives you that.

This is extremely true. I personally rank K7xx > Q701 > HD598 for my tastes, but if for other people rankings can be different based on what you are specifically looking for with your sound.

Q701 is noticeably brighter than the K7xx with less bass quantity and a wider L-R soundstage. The K7xx has better bass extension and bass impact while maintaining a clear response in the rest of its frequency response. I do still consider to K7xx to still be a more of an airy crispy headphone compared to the rest of the solid mid-tier headphones. I also personally feel the K7xx's sound signature sounds more natural and realistic to my ears (but this is subjective to individual perspective). The Q701 is a lot more unforgiving with source materials and can sometimes sound artificially bright/sharp/subtly metallic to my ears. Still I think very highly of the Q701 if you prefer a brighter sound signature. The headband bumps were extremely uncomfortable for me, so I would recommend purchasing the Q701 from somewhere with a good return policy. The HD600 has less bass quantity over the K7xx, but the the HD650 and HE-400 have more bass quantity & 'darkness' from my direct comparisons. Never spent too much time with the HD598, but the K7xx has more "high energy" presentation compared to the HD600/HD650 which have more a relaxed, laid-back feel to them.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,726 of 4,580
I'm interested in seeing how the K7XX does in sub bass vs. the HD650. I know the Senn. is warmer, and less analytical, but it does roll off under 50 hz a bit more than I like. My only complaint about them, I like softer treble that is still detailed as well.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2,727 of 4,580
k7xx vs jbl lsr 305? I already have a headset so I'm leaning more toward speakers for music while doing something else in the room or those lazy times when I don't wanna wear headphones. Your comments?

edit: about the source, I will run them on-board pc sound or my phone, mostly youtube. No amps/ dacs

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,728 of 4,580
I've posted this question in K701 thread but got no answer. I'll post here to get opinions here too.

Does anyone know if the newer generation made in China K701/702 have 3db bass boost like k702 Annie or k712 pro? I am considering getting back a pair of K701 but I prefer no bass boost just like those early Austrian made ones. I found early made K702 Annie a little congested but some say later production K702 Annie, K7XX and K712 have 3db bass boost but more airy than early made K702 Annie. If that is the case, I'm fine with K7XX too.

If anyone has heard them please comment. Thanks.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,729 of 4,580
  I'm interested in seeing how the K7XX does in sub bass vs. the HD650. I know the Senn. is warmer, and less analytical, but it does roll off under 50 hz a bit more than I like. My only complaint about them, I like softer treble that is still detailed as well.

Softer treble almost always means a trade off in detail.  It doesn't have to but it is the truly extraordinary headphone or speaker system combination that can pull that off ..  The KXX makes a decent stab at it,  but your amp/source (which all you guys call a DAC amp -I use a CD player), is critical.  The KXX is not a miracle HP, so your expectation may be a little overly optimistic.  I like detailed analytic sound and thought they were pleasant for a change of pace,  but in reality I have been using my Senn HD700s.  ..  I'm going put them back into service right now to see if my impressions are still true to me.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,730 of 4,580

Check-out the new HiFiMan HE-400S. A bit warm (with superior sub-bass to the K7XX) and dark... right up your alley, sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back